What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Tourney Selection Thread

Seedings to me are hard to really complain about, because many times it's splitting hairs. While we may disagree, I do think it's hard to nullify all of the committee's arguments for doing what they did.

The problem I have is with Monmouth and S Carolina. I thought both teams deserved to be in, and for a team like Monmouth that did everything they could...the NCAA should be disappointed in their decision to exclude those kids from an opportunity to play out a dream.

We're getting a surprising amount of love on ESPN's show for a team that wasn't ranked all year.

Seedings to me are hard to really complain about, because many times it's splitting hairs. While we may disagree, I do think it's hard to nullify all of the committee's arguments for doing what they did.

The problem I have is with Monmouth and S Carolina. I thought both teams deserved to be in, and for a team like Monmouth that did everything they could...the NCAA should be disappointed in their decision to exclude those kids from an opportunity to play out a dream.

I have a problem with Monmouth. SC I have no sympathy with an OOC SOS of 270 AND bad losses to the likes of sub-200 Mizzou along with Miss State, etc.

I have a problem with Monmouth. SC I have no sympathy with an OOC SOS of 270 AND bad losses to the likes of sub-200 Mizzou along with Miss State, etc.

^^This^^ Monmouth deserved to be in. They played and won against the teams that should have gotten them in.

SC struggled in the worst of the power conferences. They had opportunities to win games that would have punched their ticket and repeatedly failed.

Monmouth beat beat a few teams that are in and some that weren't that were big names. Ucla, Iona, Usc(maybe), Georgetown, and a few others. That's just off the top of my head, I'm not positive on that.

A look at some teams:

Tulsa: 4-5 vs top 50, 8-8 vs top 100. 3 sub-100 losses

Michigan: 4-11 vs top 50, 4-12 vs top 100. 0 sub-100 losses

Syracuse: 5-6 vs top 50, 8-10 vs top 100, 3 sub-100 losses

Vanderbilt: 2-7 vs top 50, 7-10 vs top 100, 3 sub-100 losses

South Carolina: 1-1 vs top 50, 8-5 vs top 100, 3 sub-100 losses. 270th OOC SOS

Monmouth: 1-1 vs top 50. 3-4 vs top 100. 3 sub-100 losses. 13 true road wins, 17 wins away from home.]

San Diego State: 1-4 vs top 50, 3-7 vs top 100, 2 sub-100 losses

St. Mary's: 2-2 vs top 50, 6-3 vs top 100, 2 sub-100 losses

We've been forgetting one other team that has a major gripe: St. Bonaventure. Left out with an RPI of 30 + A10 Co-Champs (14-4 record). Wow. Also did not realize Syracuse's RPI had fallen all the way to 72. That's absurd.

We've been forgetting one other team that has a major gripe: St. Bonaventure. Left out with an RPI of 30 + A10 Co-Champs (14-4 record). Wow. Also did not realize Syracuse's RPI had fallen all the way to 72. That's absurd.
Yeah. They got ****ed. A10 is good too.

Bonnies got screwed. Hell, I didn't even think to look for them because I assumed they were a lock. How does StB get left home?

Bonnies got screwed. Hell, I didn't even think to look for them because I assumed they were a lock. How does StB get left home?

Yeah, I thought they were in so it didn't even occur to me until just now. I think this committee did a poor, poor job. And I don't like the excuse of the "parity" this year. All the parity in the world shouldn't make it difficult to include a team with an RPI of 30 that finish tied atop the A10 with a 14-4 record. I know St. Bonaventure didn't play the toughest OOC, but come on. 30 is 30. 30 should get in over 72. Period. No team had ever gotten at at-large below 67 before this. Syracuse is 72. You can make an argument that Syracuse deserved it over Vanderbilt or Tulsa...whatever. St. Bonaventure needed to be in there somewhere. Period.

Is Eammon Brennan capable of saying anything about CU other than "Colorado ended its 18 conference games having been outscored, per trip, by its opponents. True story. Let's just say that statistic doesn't bode well.". He's been writing some form of that for the last month and has said absolutely nothing else. Nothing at all.

Yeah, I thought they were in so it didn't even occur to me until just now. I think this committee did a poor, poor job. And I don't like the excuse of the "parity" this year. All the parity in the world shouldn't make it difficult to include a team with an RPI of 30 that finish tied atop the A10 with a 14-4 record. I know St. Bonaventure didn't play the toughest OOC, but come on. 30 is 30. 30 should get in over 72. Period. No team had ever gotten at at-large below 67 before this. Syracuse is 72. You can make an argument that Syracuse deserved it over Vanderbilt or Tulsa...whatever. St. Bonaventure needed to be in there somewhere. Period.

Lesson: don't be a bubble team from outside the Power 5 if you haven't been to a Sweet 16 or better in the 2000s. Look who got in despite shakier resumes than the Bonnies: Dayton, Temple, Wichita State, VCU, Cincinnati, Tulsa. (Plus Butler from the Big East, but was a mid-major very recently.)

Last edited:
Is Eammon Brennan capable of saying anything about CU other than "Colorado ended its 18 conference games having been outscored, per trip, by its opponents. True story. Let's just say that statistic doesn't bode well.". He's been writing some form of that for the last month and has said absolutely nothing else. Nothing at all.
It's really really really obvious that he didn't watch a single game in the mountain time zone and west this year. Years past I've really liked his work. Way downhill. And eamon, I can explain that really easily, a couple ugly road blowouts (UCLA) with a lot of good close wins can easily produce that stat.

It's really really really obvious that he didn't watch a single game in the mountain time zone and west this year. Years past I've really liked his work. Way downhill. And eamon, I can explain that really easily, a couple ugly road blowouts (UCLA) with a lot of good close wins can easily produce that stat.

Yeah. I've noticed that too. I mean he has seriously not said a single other thing about CU. He got fed that line at some point in late January and has said absolutely nothing else.

Yeah. He loves that stat. Had a few stinkers on the road and CU's path to victory is usually extra possessions by dominating the glass. Plus, playing good teams when 7 Pac-12 teams have Top 50 RPIs and 4 others are 51-102.

CU went 10-8 in these games.

All I'm saying is that a little knowledge and use of advanced metrics is dangerous. I like to look at AdjD for the Dance as an indicator of who plays winning basketball and then see how much firepower the team has to go with that. CU is 26th in the nation in defense per KenPom. Add to that that it's the #14 3pt% team in the nation and has a very skilled post scorer to go with that.

If the Buffs can stay at 12 TOs or less, I expect them to beat just about any team they play.

26-6 Valpo's overtime loss in the conference tournnament final did them in. Alec Peters didn't play in any NCAA games. #1 NIT seed.

Who does he work for? Oh that bunch that doesn't have an ownership piece of the PAC12. He was looking forward to spending all next year calling another SEC team a tourney qualifier.

Don't get OSU as a 7 or USC as an 8, but otherwise can't complain.

Buffs have beaten a 1 seed, a 4 seed, a 6 seed, and a 7 seed, We have played tourney teams and won. CU can definitely make some noise.

Don't get OSU as a 7 or USC as an 8, but otherwise can't complain.

Buffs have beaten a 1 seed, a 4 seed, a 6 seed, and a 7 seed, We have played tourney teams and won. CU can definitely make some noise.
Although we did beat each of those teams at CEC. USC, Utah, AZ away from home would have been huge for program progress.

Although we did beat each of those teams at CEC. USC, Utah, AZ away from home would have been huge for program progress.

Yeah, big difference in doing it in front of a home crowd. UConn has already notched 3 neutral court wins over NCAA Tournament squads

Back