What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

I'm asking for some educated honest input.

CSU - always the season defining game. If we lose this one we are in trouble (we will win)
Nebraska - Rivalry 50/50 on this one
Air Force - This one scares me because its in state but i think CU wins this
ASU - 0-5 @ Tempe
Arizona - Should win this one at home...maybe
Oregon - 1-5 since 2011 and they are expected to be a top 10 team
WSU - should be competing for the north this year, game in Pullman
USC - Never have beaten them
UCLA - (?) hard to imagine Chip Kelly won't have the kinks figured out. Game @ UCLA
Stanford - (?)
Washington - We've gotten murdered the last two times we played them. Hopefully lets not go for 4th and long again with a Montez run.
Utah - Always find a way to lose in Utah, picked to win the south

What am I missing?

1 likely Biletnikoff Finalist
1 likely Butkus Award Finalist
2 defenders named to the Butkus award watch list
2 defenders named to the Nagurksi Trophy and Bednarik Award
2 offensive players named to the Maxwell Trophy watchlist
1 QB on the O'Brien watch list
1 OL on the Rimington watch list
1 P on the Ray Guy award watch list
1 player on the Walter Camp award watch list

You don't have that type of recognized talent on your roster and finish with 3 wins, if your coaching staff has an ounce of competence.

Last edited:
Breaking news, people playing sports outside use hose to cool down.
Hosed as in whipped.

They had one Gatorade break. 4 mins. No water during position periods. Some during team periods.

They did not have a hose cart, nor cryo tent showers, like some teams.

I thought it was a little old school.

CSU - always the season defining game. If we lose this one we are in trouble (we will win)
ASU - 0-5 @ Tempe
UCLA - (?) hard to imagine Chip Kelly won't have the kinks figured out. Game @ UCLA
Stanford - (?)
Washington - We've gotten murdered the last two times we played them. Hopefully lets not go for 4th and long again with a Montez run.

What am I missing?
You're missing the part where we cross our hearts and perform a Gregorian-like, bitch-faced chant of "In Mel Tucker's Toughness We Trust". We might lose 8, sure. But it wont be for lack of toughness in the late 2nd and and all of 4th quarter. We might get out-talented, but we wont be weak in the head. And Tucker wont stand for being out-executed for any amount of time either.
You wanted brutal honesty, there you go. In this case, go with cautious optimism though.

Hosed as in whipped.

They had one Gatorade break. 4 mins. No water during position periods. Some during team periods.

They did not have a hose cart, nor cryo tent showers, like some teams.

I thought it was a little old school.
I’m alright with instilling that mental toughness. They’re learning to be comfortable with operating around their physical limits, rather than immediately getting relief from that stress. They’ll be less likely to shut down or give up in games when they get close to those limits again. As long as they’re being safe, it’s a good practice.

Colorado (Mel Tucker)
2018 record:
5-7
Projected 2019 wins: 3.9 (FPI) to 4.5 (S&P+)
Odds of bowl eligibility: 25%
In each of the two years since their 2016 Pac-12 South title run, the Buffaloes finished just 5-7. They started 3-0 in 2017 and 5-0 in 2018, then fell apart from there. That sets a pretty natural bar at .500 for Tucker, a former NFL (and Georgia) defensive coordinator and first-time head coach. So does the urge to not waste what is likely receiver Laviska Shenault Jr.'s last season in Boulder.
Clearing that bar will be difficult, though. Quarterback Steven Montez and a solid secondary return, but a dreadful run game might not improve, and the defensive front seven will be incredibly green. And while the schedule doesn't feature many sure losses, it has even fewer sure wins. Expectations and reality haven't played nicely in Boulder for a while now, and 2019 might not be any different, even if Tucker eventually turns out to be a strong hire.

Context

Exactly-90+ is ****ing hot.......regardless of what the humidity is

90’s is definitely hot but I still can’t help but laugh at you guys, you guys don’t know hot. I worked for Mortensen construction and have had to go to job sites in jeans, hard toe boots, long sleeves, a vest, hard hat and so on. When it’s 90-100+ degrees outside with no shade because the structure is being built still and you’re out there for hours in the middle of the day, that’s ****ing hot.

Same goes for the cold...I’ve been there when it was -5 to 10 degrees all day and you’re out there trying not to freeze your ass off. Brutal.

90’s is definitely hot but I still can’t help but laugh at you guys, you guys don’t know hot. I worked for Mortensen construction and have had to go to job sites in jeans, hard toe boots, long sleeves, a vest, hard hat and so on. When it’s 90-100+ degrees outside with no shade because the structure is being built still and you’re out there for hours in the middle of the day, that’s ****ing hot.

Same goes for the cold...I’ve been there when it was -5 to 10 degrees all day and you’re out there trying not to freeze your ass off. Brutal.
Did you have to walk to and from that job site? Uphill both ways?

Work on a rig, you get the worst of both, promise.

JFC, I didn’t realize saying 93-96 degrees in the direct sun is hot was such a controversial take.
You keep repeating this but it isn't true. It was a high of 93 dergrees in Boulder, they practiced at 8:50 am until what noon? So it was in the low 80's the entire time. I don't know how programs across the country survive if this is considered bad.

Really good stuff on Sami, JVD and Onu.

The stuff about JVD working so hard on Saturday that he lost 9 lbs at one practice and needed IV bags afterward... that's the kind of guy teammates want to go to war with. Fires me up from my office chair, so I can only imagine how I'd be if I was playing with him.

Obviously JVD is tough and he should be admired for that... but kids literally die from overexertion. I don't want to celebrate someone needing an IV after practice. That's crazy dangerous and we shouldn't demand that sort of commitment.

Losing nine pounds in one day is not healthy. Especially for a kid who has very little fat reserves. Let’s hope that’s not the norm. I love the determination and passion, but we need to be smart about this kind of thing, too.
It's also just bad management. There is time to get more water in you at practice. Hope they get better at that. Dangerous stuff.

MT keeps calling out Arias making plays (he did again today). I hope that they use him and KD to get some balls and free up Laviska. You already know that teams are going to double team Laviska. We need another receiver to step up and get open with the Viska double team.

ASU - 0-5 @ Tempe
Stanford - (?)

What am I missing?
Living in the now for one, You make a great case for yourself and that's fine. Others will see things differently like me it's all good I don't think the guys seeing CU at 5 or fewer wins will be upset if CU wins 6 or more. This staff is light years ahead of the previous staff in every facet, for once one can see that the players really did get bigger, stronger, and faster. I'm hoping the guys who pick 7 plus wins are correct.

Back