What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

Trying to read between the lines on that comment about not even thinking about CSU, and I just don’t get it. Is he saying hey still have too much work to do on fundamentals? That’s my take, and if that’s the case... oooof. Not good.

Trying to read between the lines on that comment about not even thinking about CSU, and I just don’t get it. Is he saying hey still have too much work to do on fundamentals? That’s my take, and if that’s the case... oooof. Not good.
My read on it is that there are some position groups that don't have all of the offense and defense install 100% down yet, and the time would be better spent focusing on that before game planning for a specific opponent.

There is little depth on the defensive side, a lot of new faces, that still need reps in order to get better for the season and more importantly the Nebraska game. Moving those kids to scout team this early won't help them get better when they have to step into major roles when injuries hit. Atleast that is the way I took it.

Hmm, I think he basically said that the defense needs more time to learn the scheme.
This - along with Summers comment about install at the end of spring and his comments on scheme in his recent interview - could be a key early in the season.

Sounds like it may be hard to keep Vontae off the field this year.

My take is that with a 3 WR set the starters are Viska, KD and Stanley.

Sounds like the next guy in the rotation is Brown, with Arias, Jackson and Bell in some mix there.

And then Vontae is doing well to force his way up though that mix.

That would leave Huffman-Dixon as a redshirt this season.

This thread could use a revisit to this date last year. What did we know about Viska, Mustafa and Nate then?

We will have some surprises, both directions.

Given that both Viska and Landman flashed big time as true freshman on a meh team, many on this board were calling for them to get much more PT. If Mel Tucker were the coach then, we certainly would’ve seen them getting many more snaps in 2017.

Given that both Viska and Landman flashed big time as true freshman on a meh team, many on this board were calling for them to get much more PT. If Mel Tucker were the coach then, we certainly would’ve seen them getting many more snaps in 2017.
Sure, me included. But we really had no idea they were THAT good.

Senior Alex Tchangam has been playing opposite sophomore Carson Wells at outside linebacker the last couple of days, with senior Nu'umotu Falo also getting some work there … Aaron Maddox got some work alongside Mikial Onu at safety with the No. 1s … Isaiah Lewis, who has also had time there, had some nice plays with the No. 2 group …
https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/8/20/...able-at-safety-chiaverini-on-wr-rotation.aspx

Based on the above and other reports, I'm starting to get a better idea -- I think -- of our base defenses. Please let me know if this makes sense to you guys.

Base Run: 3 DL, 2 ILB, 2 OLB, 1 STAR, 1 FS, 2 CB
Base Pass: 3 DL, 1 ILB, 2 OLB, 1 STAR, 2 FS, 2 CB
Nickel: 3 DL, 1 ILB, 1 OLB, 1 STAR, 2 FS, 3 CB

Does that look right?

Sounds like it may be hard to keep Vontae off the field this year.

My take is that with a 3 WR set the starters are Viska, KD and Stanley.

Sounds like the next guy in the rotation is Brown, with Arias, Jackson and Bell in some mix there.

And then Vontae is doing well to force his way up though that mix.

That would leave Huffman-Dixon as a redshirt this season.

If Vontae is half as his big brother is......

It'd be a gross mismanagement of time to not spend at least 10+ practices on prepping for the first game, particularly when it's an in-state "rival" and game one of a hyped coaching era. Without actually saying it, the game is a must win for Tucker.
Maybe he's being obtuse, but Tucker said yesterday this week is practice, working on us, not game planning.

Senior Alex Tchangam has been playing opposite sophomore Carson Wells at outside linebacker the last couple of days, with senior Nu'umotu Falo also getting some work there … Aaron Maddox got some work alongside Mikial Onu at safety with the No. 1s … Isaiah Lewis, who has also had time there, had some nice plays with the No. 2 group …
https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/8/20/...able-at-safety-chiaverini-on-wr-rotation.aspx

Based on the above and other reports, I'm starting to get a better idea -- I think -- of our base defenses. Please let me know if this makes sense to you guys.

Does that look right?
Based off that article it seems they are wanting to run with the traditional 2 OLB in most sets, so it seems you are right in that area. I can see more why safety depth could be a bigger problem than cb depth.

The article also mentions Onu has secured a spot on the #1 defense. Good to see

Does that look right?
I also like this base run and pass defense against Nebraska and other running teams. They can do a whole lot better holding the edge than last year. Was a constant issue with MM teams when they brought in that buff position.

Maybe he's being obtuse, but Tucker said yesterday this week is practice, working on us, not game planning.
From Rolltad’s post above, it sounds like camp is over and practices begin in the next day or so. Assuming they get the weekend off, that gives them 6 days of practice before Thursday’s walk through.

Does that look right?
Looks right. The STAR position is the one that intrigues me most.

Does that look right?

I see it differently a bit.

Base Run: yes, but two safeties, no Star

Base D (nickel): 3 DL, 2 ILB, 2 CB, 2 S, Star

Base Pass (dime): 2 DT wide, 2 rush OLB (1 drop on certain situations), 2 CB, 2 S, 1 ILB, 1 Money

Basing this on Kirby 3-4 article, Spring game, camp open practice and lingo used by Summers.

Sheesh! Why does everybody here,long-timers included, seem to believe that this bunch is the only team that suffers injuries, banged-up players, lacks "depth" (when what they really mean is "experienced subs")....and on and on? I can see that attitude in stoopid, lazy journo types, but c'mon!

Every team the Buffs face is gonna have the same problems as us. Nobody hits the field with 22 perfectly healthy, junior-level 4-star athletes on either side of the ball, every single week! (Okay, Clemson and the Tide excepted---maybe)

Your take does not make a lot of sense either. Depth means quality depth, that you can rely on backups because a team needs to rely on them over 12 games. Few teams have that depth at all 22 positions, but plenty have had more than the Buffs over the last decade. Experience is only one factor because fifth year seniors can be experienced and liabilities on the field at the same time.

The problems the Buffs face are not the same as top teams because injuries at certain spots could render an entire side of the ball ineffective. Other teams have more talent to absorb losses.

Does that look right?

Davian Taylor said he is working at the Money (Hybrid ILB/Safety) as well as Star so I think you are right with one of the safety's in Nickel being the Money.

Davian Taylor said he is working at the Money (Hybrid ILB/Safety) as well as Star so I think you are right with one of the safety's in Nickel being the Money.

Taylor played Money in the dime at the open practice. It’s a deep ILB/short safety with responsibilities for the TE or RB out of the backfield. That lets Landman (yes, he will play on third down this year) be a free ILB/underneath S. It’s like the Kam Chancellor underneath position at Seattle back in the day. He is going to have some opportunities for monster hits (and targeting) for passes over the middle this year.

This is a real 3-4. None of that buffbacker crap. This is how the big boys do it.

Back