What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023-24 MBB Season Thread

If Cody is indeed being held out and has missed multiple games because of it, it makes me wonder if it was even worth getting him here. I'll hold back final judgement until more information comes out, how he plays down the stretch and if he stays true to his promise to stay at least two years.

Agreed. I'll hold out further judgment until more information comes out. If he is hurt, he is hurt. I think we learned with Travis Hunter (Stanford) last season that no matter how great you are, if you are coming off an injury and not 100% w/ game experience; that 1st game back can be a tough go. FYI, I do not blame the Stanford loss in any way on TH, it was coaching. For whatever reason, the OC, DC, and Prime were not on the same page coming out of halftime and they got BIT.

I'll give Cody a pass if he goes pro next year and is drafted in the Top-15. I've seen stuff with him as high as 5th in the draft. I'm not sure he is that high, but Top-15 is a no brainier. He would be crazy to pass that up. With the injury history, it may be appropriate for him play college BB another season.

One other point, IMO inserting a highly touted Freshman into a team is much more difficult than adding a transfer--i.e. Derrick White. It is still a big jump for a True Frosh, HS v. College game, plus being away from home that 1st year, especially while looking at the NBA. It just seems to me that less talented transfers--(i.e. Eddie Lampkin) can fill a role and just integrate into the team easier. If Cody were healthy all season, would we be running the offense through him, looking to give us 20 ppg/game, play good defense + other stats, and still be a better cohesive team? Would KJ and Hadley have such excellent 2nd halfs of the season?

Last edited:
I've heard and seen no evidence that an agent is making Cody's playing time decisions. Just idle internet speculation. I will say that, if it is happening, I don't think Tad will recruit many more one and done players. The fact is that Hadley has been more valuable than Cody this season.
Other one and done players aren't sitting out .25 of their games.

I think the season comes down to this Oregon game. Win that and we pick up a nice win, get some breathing room above the cut line, and most importantly lock up third place in conference tournament to avoid playing Arizona in the third round (our second game).
If we lose we are likely on the wrong side of the bubble and need to win at least two games in the tournament but we will have to go through Arizona. We just don't match up well with them.

The reason CU is bubble team is PAC-12 stumbled in non-conference again. We can’t raise NET fast enough to move needle much. BIG-12 changes that forever; way more Quad 1&2 games give way more chances to not let 1-2 Quad-3&4 loses ruin our season. +Tad Ball better fit in BIG12. Mega conferences benefit, as long as NCAA continues to use NET as primary metric. D&Rbding -and raising our toughness profile a notch- gives Buffs better chance at NCAA invites in regular 5-8 range of BIG12 vs 1-4 range of PAC-12. That’s just the reality.

I agree parity has a lot to do with extra covid year, transfer portal, even greater number of grad transfers (w/ change of 2 years paid for at new grad school vs. 1 year paid to stay at same school. Obviously only 1 year to play).

But overlooked is fact that:
1) HS 2nd & 3rd Tier talent (Top 100-150-200ish) has no High Majors left to get to (all the spots taken with extra covid/ portal).
2) Especially recent deeper West Coast talent falling through cracks to mid-majors. Mtn West is on verge of having as many NCAA bids as PAC & ACC put together=6. Not sure what they’ll call the conference, but it’s ready to be dubed something other than Mid-Major. Even before adding PAC-2.
3) California has had more 5 stars & more top-150 talent than Texas or Florida in recent years (previously unheard of) and they’re choosing to stay closer to home. Maybe West Coast talent fills BIG-10 & Big-12 schools- to get occasional road trip back west? Mid-west is already most under-valued/ under-utilized location along w/ west. Or maybe after ‘25-and end of extra Covid years- Mountain West stops getting a higher talent level & balance of mid-major powers moves back East to American Athletic Conference or such? I honestly think the depth of talent in West is here to stay. I’ve been shocked to watch Top 120-140 guys (high 3 star/low 4 stars) out west only get a few high-major offers, when guys with Similar rankings & similar games back east get 1-2 dozen high-major offers. Which has always been a little bit the case, but it’s been an extreme shift in recent years. New Norm?

Luke, you raised some good information/questions. CU looks decent in the Net (30) and KenPom (29). They have @Ore which should be a tier 1 win, and ORE might be leaking some oil, but we are hurt. In ESPN's BPI (which I think Lunardi uses) CU's ranking 52, which hurts. The BPI has a bunch of 17-12 and even two 16-13 (sorry Hokie!) teams ahead of them--this ranking is very skewed to certain conferences. Except for one season, where the PAC played an awesome NCAA tourney, the PAC presense has been less and less. Going back to the Sarangin conference rankings, the Mtn West has been ahead of the PAC practically every season, with the PAC lagging other major conferences by a wide-margin. To me, this is more indicative of the PAC-12 struggles for many years.

CU's non-conference schedule was not awful on paper--it is just that Colorado St. (sort of in free fall), Miami, Fla. State, and the others have not done much. Richmond and Pepperdine were not bad OOC opponents, but only Richmond had a decent season. Richmond can help the most (Net 70), they have 2 good games to close the season and impressive record--22-7 (14-2 #1 in A-Ten), they could jump a Quad for our neutral site win. Iona of all teams, might jump a Quad. What is killing CU is really the Big-East 9 teams w/ Top 70 net, in 11 team conference. It is nice that there is a selection committee, and the Net just slots teams together, but does not pick them.

The B-12 will solve CU PAC woes, but only if we put a competitive team out there. We still need 19-20 wins and go .500 in conference for a bid. That could be a tough lift. We take UoA, UU, and ASU with us. We are 2-4 against them this season. Then we are joining a bunch of great teams. Road wins will be hard to come bye, just like beating UoA, Kansas and XX at home. It is not going to get easier.

Last edited:
I think CU is in decent shape tourney wise. If they can get a road W over OSU or Oregon, I think they are likely in. Beat Oregon and in for sure, beat them both and seeding improves. Just my .02.

OSU can certainly hurt our resume, but I'm not sure that game does anything to help it.

Could be the same situation for our P12T opener.

I think @Scotch is right when he says 3 wins since that means we got at least 1 win that would be respected.

OSU can certainly hurt our resume, but I'm not sure that game does anything to help it.

I think @Scotch is right when he says 3 wins since that means we got at least 1 win that would be respected.
3 wins and I'll feel bulletproof.

2 wins = 98% in.

1 win = 50/50

3 wins and we worry about what seed we get, 2 wins and we're sweating SS regardless of what happens elsewhere. This is assuming a win in Corvallis though.

If Cody is indeed being held out and has missed multiple games because of it, it makes me wonder if it was even worth getting him here. I'll hold back final judgement until more information comes out, how he plays down the stretch and if he stays true to his promise to stay at least two years.
When did he promise to stay at least two years? This is the draft class for him to jump to the nba with. It would not favor him to come back next season.

Hey, I'm Mr. Negative a lot of times, but I'm pretty optimistic about this one.

Jimmy Fallon Trouble GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reactions: DBT
3 players get all-time minutes. I was surprised by Hadley's numbers - he was a huge part of the team's success. KJ, Hadly, then TdS.

"In addition to his program-record free throw percentage of .876 Simpson, posted a team record by playing 1,298 minutes this season (officially, 1,298 minutes, 10 seconds). Tristan da Silva and especially J’Vonne Hadley were right on Simpson’s heels.

Hadley played 1,232 minutes, which also topped the team’s previous record (1,222 minutes by Cory Higgins in 2010-11) and would have left Hadley as the record-holder if not for Simpson".

Back