What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023-24 MBB Season Thread

I bought a storefront, across the street from the courthouse. Lived in the basement a couple of years- no money, then bought the house nextdoor. My house and office shared a property line, and my workplace was 30 seconds away. Usually zero commute time each day.
I needed a place equidistant between Buckley AFB (I refuse to call it SFB) and Raytheon, where I work. Also convenient to Anschutz, where the wife works

A low value post.

I've had to wear uniforms, and understand the values they can help instill - discipline, being part of a team, pride, etc.
So, I can't watch a Buff game, without wearing some CU gear.
So, it annoys me that Tad often doesn't. Last 2 games a clunky looking gray jacket and 2 different paisley ties.
He's the leader, he should be proudly wearing the colors.
Bellichick might have been more successful if he hadn't vandalized all those Patriots hoodies.

I think a lot of the parity in both basketball and football this year has to do with the synergy of the extra year of COVID eligibility and the expanded transfer portal. There's more experienced and established performers available, and they all can go to where they can get minutes.
The reason CU is bubble team is PAC-12 stumbled in non-conference again. We can’t raise NET fast enough to move needle much. BIG-12 changes that forever; way more Quad 1&2 games give way more chances to not let 1-2 Quad-3&4 loses ruin our season. +Tad Ball better fit in BIG12. Mega conferences benefit, as long as NCAA continues to use NET as primary metric. D&Rbding -and raising our toughness profile a notch- gives Buffs better chance at NCAA invites in regular 5-8 range of BIG12 vs 1-4 range of PAC-12. That’s just the reality.

I agree parity has a lot to do with extra covid year, transfer portal, even greater number of grad transfers (w/ change of 2 years paid for at new grad school vs. 1 year paid to stay at same school. Obviously only 1 year to play).

But overlooked is fact that:
1) HS 2nd & 3rd Tier talent (Top 100-150-200ish) has no High Majors left to get to (all the spots taken with extra covid/ portal).
2) Especially recent deeper West Coast talent falling through cracks to mid-majors. Mtn West is on verge of having as many NCAA bids as PAC & ACC put together=6. Not sure what they’ll call the conference, but it’s ready to be dubed something other than Mid-Major. Even before adding PAC-2.
3) California has had more 5 stars & more top-150 talent than Texas or Florida in recent years (previously unheard of) and they’re choosing to stay closer to home. Maybe West Coast talent fills BIG-10 & Big-12 schools- to get occasional road trip back west? Mid-west is already most under-valued/ under-utilized location along w/ west. Or maybe after ‘25-and end of extra Covid years- Mountain West stops getting a higher talent level & balance of mid-major powers moves back East to American Athletic Conference or such? I honestly think the depth of talent in West is here to stay. I’ve been shocked to watch Top 120-140 guys (high 3 star/low 4 stars) out west only get a few high-major offers, when guys with Similar rankings & similar games back east get 1-2 dozen high-major offers. Which has always been a little bit the case, but it’s been an extreme shift in recent years. New Norm?

I think a lot of the parity in both basketball and football this year has to do with the synergy of the extra year of COVID eligibility and the expanded transfer portal. There's more experienced and established performers available, and they all can go to where they can get minutes.
The reason CU is bubble team is PAC-12 stumbled in non-conference again. We can’t raise NET fast enough to move needle much. BIG-12 changes that forever; way more Quad 1&2 games give way more chances to not let 1-2 Quad-3&4 loses ruin our season. +Tad Ball better fit in BIG12. Mega conferences benefit, as long as NCAA continues to use NET as primary metric. D&Rbding -and raising our toughness profile a notch- gives Buffs better chance at NCAA invites in regular 5-8 range of BIG12 vs 1-4 range of PAC-12. That’s just the reality.

I agree parity has a lot to do with extra covid year, transfer portal, even greater number of grad transfers (w/ change of 2 years paid for at new grad school vs. 1 year paid to stay at same school. Obviously only 1 year to play).

But overlooked is fact that:
1) HS 2nd & 3rd Tier talent (Top 100-150-200ish) has no High Majors left to get to (all the spots taken with extra covid/ portal).
2) Especially recent deeper West Coast talent falling through cracks to mid-majors. Mtn West is on verge of having as many NCAA bids as PAC & ACC put together=6. Not sure what they’ll call the conference, but it’s ready to be dubed something other than Mid-Major. Even before adding PAC-2.
3) California has had more 5 stars & more top-150 talent than Texas or Florida in recent years (previously unheard of) and they’re choosing to stay closer to home. Maybe West Coast talent fills BIG-10 & Big-12 schools- to get occasional road trip back west? Mid-west is already most under-valued/ under-utilized location along w/ west. Or maybe after ‘25-and end of extra Covid years- Mountain West stops getting a higher talent level & balance of mid-major powers moves back East to American Athletic Conference or such? I honestly think the depth of talent in West is here to stay. I’ve been shocked to watch Top 120-140 guys (high 3 star/low 4 stars) out west only get a few high-major offers, when guys with Similar rankings & similar games back east get 1-2 dozen high-major offers. Which has always been a little bit the case, but it’s been an extreme shift in recent years. New Norm?

Or maybe after ‘25-and end of extra Covid years- Mountain West stops getting a higher talent level & balance of mid-major powers moves back East to American Athletic Conference or such? I honestly think the depth of talent in West is here to stay. I’ve been shocked to watch Top 120-140 guys (high 3 star/low 4 stars) out west only get a few high-major offers, when guys with Similar rankings & similar games back east get 1-2 dozen high-major offers. Which has always been a little bit the case, but it’s been an extreme shift in recent years. New Norm?
Oops, sorry about repeat post!

Poster-child for talent falling through cracks to Mtn West/ WCC/ WAC is Aidan Mahoney at Saint Marys: only 4 of 10 offers were high majors, but NBA talk as Frosh last year, coming down to earth little more this year. But every Tourney team in these 3 conferences have similar stories of West Coast talent that is much better than anyone (except occasional recruiting junkies like me) expected them to be. Pick a tourney team (that’s knocking another PAC team out of the tourney); they all have examples: Saint Mary’s, Santa Clara, San Francisco, (Gonzaga goes more the Foreign route).

CSU, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah state, Boise St, San Diego

Even WAC’s Grand Canyon University could get higher seed than 3rd (doubt 4th Bid?) of PAC teams (along w/ 6 from Mtn West & 4 from WCC?). It’s a good time to escape the treachery of Mtn West’s non-conference dominance over PAC-12’s non-conference yearly sillinesses. But if Oregon/WSU knocks CU out from joining Arizona/Utah? I’ll never speak of 🦆s/Cougars again! Big12 or BUST

Since I'm seriously bored, I thought about starting a new thread about absolutely nothing...a bit like our bball team, or more the worries about it. We'll make it to the dance, and will most likely suprise all naysayers...as the team will jell (spelling) at the perfect moment and we'll have no injuries (bar bench dudes). We may not be the cinderella, but end up with the no 1 draft pick, first time in CU men's bball history. I'm feelin' gooooood.
Bro. This is not the way

KenPom ORtg:

KJ - 124.2 (#111 in country)
Caleb - 117.6 (#321 in county)

It's not even close if our Buffs win Saturday and finish close to UA in the conference standings.
The PAC12 schlubs think its Love by a mile
The AD needs to market top players way more
KJ has been so fun to watch and is the best player in the PAC and tomorrows game is huge

The PAC12 schlubs think its Love by a mile
The AD needs to remember he has a basketball team (HOLY **** THERE'S TWO OF THEM!) and market ANYTHING related to them
KJ has been so fun to watch and is the best player in the PAC and tomorrows game is huge
FIFY

Leveraging that Ohio State opening I assume

They were talking about it in December or so and then backed off with the AD issues. I think it’s been done for a while, they were just keeping it quiet for PR.

Would love Zeke putting in meaningful minutes for the Buffs. ;)

Super Troopers Oops GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Does breaking NCAA rules even matter anymore? Bill Self won a natty right after being implicated in an FBI investigation, for crissakes.

I know it's a different sport, but [gesticulates wildly at Michigan Football]...

So, no.

Another 20 win season in Boulder...will Tad get to try for 20 next year in the B12?

The next 3 weeks will show a bunch about Tad. 20+ wins is good. He can't get out-coached @ORE or @OSU. I remember a home game 3-4 years ago, where Hinkle did Tad pretty good stealing one at home. If they win out, I think they are probably in unless another PAC team (UCLA?) comes out of nowhere to win the conference tourney, and CU loses the opener. I do not anticipate a deep run in the tourney unless Cody and Hammond play, as their bench is not deep. If Eddie or others get into foul trouble, that could be the game.

If we don't make the tourney, RG and Tad will need to have a serious meeting. I'm not saying Tad will be fired or that he deserves to be fired, but there could be a mutual parting of the ways. The B-12 will be tough to get 20+ wins or be .500 in conference play next year.

On Cody, if his agent is holding him out, if there were a game for him to come back and show something it would be @Ore.

The next 3 weeks will show a bunch about Tad. 20+ wins is good. He can't get out-coached @ORE or @OSU. I remember a home game 3-4 years ago, where Hinkle did Tad pretty good stealing one at home. If they win out, I think they are probably in unless another PAC team (UCLA?) comes out of nowhere to win the conference tourney, and CU loses the opener. I do not anticipate a deep run in the tourney unless Cody and Hammond play, as their bench is not deep. If Eddie or others get into foul trouble, that could be the game.

If we don't make the tourney, RG and Tad will need to have a serious meeting. I'm not saying Tad will be fired or that he deserves to be fired, but there could be a mutual parting of the ways. The B-12 will be tough to get 20+ wins or be .500 in conference play next year.

On Cody, if his agent is holding him out, if there were a game for him to come back and show something it would be @Ore.
If Cody is indeed being held out and has missed multiple games because of it, it makes me wonder if it was even worth getting him here. I'll hold back final judgement until more information comes out, how he plays down the stretch and if he stays true to his promise to stay at least two years.

If Cody is indeed being held out and has missed multiple games because of it, it makes me wonder if it was even worth getting him here. I'll hold back final judgement until more information comes out, how he plays down the stretch and if he stays true to his promise to stay at least two years.
We should have turned him down because he will drafted high.

I've heard and seen no evidence that an agent is making Cody's playing time decisions. Just idle internet speculation. I will say that, if it is happening, I don't think Tad will recruit many more one and done players. The fact is that Hadley has been more valuable than Cody this season.

Back