What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023 Bowl Games Thread

Kirby is one of a handful of guys in the sport who is influential enough to enact change in how college football operates, but nothing will change

Shut up Kirby. No one cares. People like you be and all the other money grubbers made college football what it is.

Nothing is going to change, and nothing should change. There's no reason to play in these games.

Hell, there's no real reason for NFL prospects to play in the playoffs, frankly.

NFL can flex and influence college players to play in their bowl games, make sure that opting out hurts their draft grades. But that isn’t to the benefit of the NFL as a player risks injury in what is essentially a scrimmage. Injured players do not help NFL teams.
There is no way in hell that would ever work. The NFL tells players that it hurts their draft grades? Ok so Scout A is going to knock Caleb Williams down because he didn't play in the bowl game and then what? The Bears or Commanders are going to skip Caleb Williams now? l don't believe the scout would even knock his grade and I definitely know that teams wouldn't change their picks because of it.

There is no way in hell that would ever work. The NFL tells players that it hurts their draft grades? Ok so Scout A is going to knock Caleb Williams down because he didn't play in the bowl game and then what? The Bears or Commanders are going to skip Caleb Williams now? l don't believe the scout would even knock his grade and I definitely know that teams wouldn't change their picks because of it.
There is no NFL team that is going to pass on a player and take one that would have been rated lower because the guy didn't play in a bowl or the playoff.

Currently the only advantage to the player is if it is a guy who is not at the top of the draft and has a big game to elevate him, almost certainly the risk of injury (or having a bad game exposing a weakness) is greater than having a game that moves a guy up.

If the league wanted to (and again they have no incentive to do this so won't) is to negotiate with the players association on the rookie salary scale so that those players who dress and participate get a little more on their deals and those who don't get less. Not going to happen.

Draft optouts will always be a thing, and I have no issue with Caleb Williams not playing in the Holiday Bowl for example.

The problem is the early signing period being for portal players. Having a bigger CFP will help, but we don't get games like the Orange Bowl today if you make the early signing day for high school only or get rid of it altogether. I would re-open the portal in early January......like say between the CFP quarters/semis.

I guess my feeling is that forcing players to play in meaningless exhibition games to fill corporate coffers and stroke fans' egos is a little ridiculous.

Expanding the playoff will help a lot, especially since it is the top teams that have the biggest problem with this in meaningless games for the simple fact that their keys players generally have more to lose.

Joe Tessitore and Jesse Palmer, since they had so much dead space to fill in that snooze fest, mentioned the insanity that takes place at the end of the regular season - early signing period, transfer portal, coaches being hired/fired. It distracts the hell out of a coaching staff too, when they're also trying to get ready for a bowl game.

I think everyone would appreciate a dead period after the regular season, but getting kids/coaches in before the start of the spring semester makes that unfeasible.

Draft optouts will always be a thing, and I have no issue with Caleb Williams not playing in the Holiday Bowl for example.

The problem is the early signing period being for portal players. Having a bigger CFP will help, but we don't get games like the Orange Bowl today if you make the early signing day for high school only or get rid of it altogether. I would re-open the portal in early January......like say between the CFP quarters/semis.

See my above post - unfeasible due to getting them in for the spring semester.

See my above post - unfeasible due to getting them in for the spring semester.
Gotta love academics being used selectively in college sports.

Like let's have kids playing games on the other side of the country.....but we can't work around an issue like this with the portal? For ****s sake.

The portal forced numerous decisions (see UT QB). Change the date. A union and a collectively bargained contract has to happen soon to fix the many ills of the game, still ever popular. The frustration level is pretty high among some that can actually make a difference in these matters. Maybe they enact change.

Gotta love academics being used selectively in college sports.

Like let's have kids playing games on the other side of the country.....but we can't work around an issue like this with the portal? For ****s sake.
You're not getting academic staff to make their winter break chaotic to do an accelerated transfer approval process condensed into Jan 2nd through the 10th or whatever it would be.

Maybe transfers just need to not be available for spring ball? Creates a little more incentive to stay with a program, gives players and coaches time to do a proper evaluation of roster evolution and who fits in where.

You're not getting academic staff to make their winter break chaotic to do an accelerated transfer approval process condensed into Jan 2nd through the 10th or whatever it would be.

Maybe transfers just need to not be available for spring ball? Creates a little more incentive to stay with a program, gives players and coaches time to do a proper evaluation of roster evolution and who fits in where.
You don't need the entire admissions staff, just enough to handle football. We have professors and other university staff who pick up instruction of a winter break academic course (similar to Maymester). It's do-able.

We need a governing body in this sport for so many reasons.

Back