What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023 Bowl Games Thread

I actually see him as a really good career backup.

I don't think he's a high level prospect.

That's the one thing I don't see, actually.

He's got the arm strength, he's got the accuracy, and he's got the athleticism.

There's always the possibility of struggling to make the mental move, and with Penix there is a higher concern than most for injury. Either one could derail his career, but that puts him on the early exit path, not the career backup path.

Texas always does the least with the most and always underperform when it counts the most. Have always
"oklahoma'ed" the BIG games.

Penix is better but a solid comparison for sure. Luckily for UW, 2022 Georgia isn’t waiting for them in the championship game.
I think that offense is better than TCU's in general. People on X last night were joking about Washington having better receivers than the Chiefs.

Throwing earlier in break. Winds up on long passes. Lots of mock data out there.

It only takes one GM to fall in love. I lol forward to draft and his career unfolding.
How much of the throwing motion looking a bit off to people is because he's a lefty? Here's some of his highlights flipped to a mirror image to make him a righty:

For me, Penix has elite ball placement ability, which is everything IMO. Paired with exceptional arm strength, good mobility, and decision making. The concerns about timing and winding up on deep throws can all be worked on, but his accuracy is innate

Last edited:
How much of the throwing motion looking a bit off to people is because he's a lefty? Here's some of his highlights flipped to a mirror image to make him a righty:
Another thing I like about him is that if you watch him play a lot of his success comes with traffic in the pocket. Not necessarily guys close to sacking him but him having to be aware of it.

Some of the recent college QBs who have come out to big fanfare have played with dominating o-lines and are able to comfortably sit back there waiting for their receivers to get wide open. Penix has a good OL but he still has to frequently move to find open space to throw from and to pass the ball earlier than some of the others. This also means his reads need to be quicker and his throws more precise.

When these guys get to the NFL they aren't going to have big, clean pockets to work from.

Fair. The lefty loop is typically more prevalent that righty (pitchers, Tebow, Tua).

The pros (scouts, development, and coaches) will get it addressed if they think it’s an issue.

Current “experts” are somewhat divided. There does not seem to be a current consensus. I don’t know what’s right.

Cool film.

For me, Penix has elite ball placement ability, which is everything IMO. Paired with exceptional arm strength, good mobility, and decision making. The concerns about timing and winding up on deep throughs can all be worked on, but his accuracy is innate
Accuracy is not in doubt. Some lefties adapt. Others don’t. It will be fun to watch.

Another thing I like about him is that if you watch him play a lot of his success comes with traffic in the pocket. Not necessarily guys close to sacking him but him having to be aware of it.

Some of the recent college QBs who have come out to big fanfare have played with dominating o-lines and are able to comfortably sit back there waiting for their receivers to get wide open. Penix has a good OL but he still has to frequently move to find open space to throw from and to pass the ball earlier than some of the others. This also means his reads need to be quicker and his throws more precise.

When these guys get to the NFL they aren't going to have big, clean pockets to work from.
He slides well. Not all can.

Fair. The lefty loop is typically more prevalent that righty (pitchers, Tebow, Tua).

The pros (scouts, development, and coaches) will get it addressed if they think it’s an issue.

Current “experts” are somewhat divided. There does not seem to be a current consensus. I don’t know what’s right.

Cool film.
Yeah. I certainly don't know. I'm terrible at predicting qb prospects. I usually know quickly once I see a guy try to play at a certain level, but I'm not good at prospecting. Of course, the best in the world at prospecting once debated Manning vs Leaf, were split at best on whether Lamar Jackson was a QB, etc.

Last edited:
The wind up is only an issue because it's usually a slow release. Penix has a very quick release so I don't really get the issue there.

Not in order of importance, but primary areas that I feel QB prospects are graded on
- Accuracy - Mostly on mid range routes, but deep ball also part of it
- Arm Strength
- Size
- Mobility
- Pocket Presence
- In-Play processing ability
- Release time
- Production
- Big game performance
- Intelligence
- Leadership/Intangibles

I struggle to see a single area where Penix fails to check the box, and in many areas is elite.

The wind up is only an issue because it's usually a slow release. Penix has a very quick release so I don't really get the issue there.

Not in order of importance, but primary areas that I feel QB prospects are graded on
- Arm Strength
- Size
- Mobility
- Pocket Presence
- Release time
- Production
- Big game performance
- Intelligence
- Leadership/Intangibles

I struggle to see a single area where Penix fails to check the box, and in many areas is elite.
The wind up comes into play on intermediate throws that are late. The quick release is a great quality, but does not overcome the issue entirely IMO.

Yeah. I certainly don't know. I'm terrible at predicting qb prospects. I usually know quickly once I see a guy try to play at a certain level, but I'm not good at prospecting. Of course, the best in the what prospecting once debated Manning vs Leaf, were split at best on whether Lamar Jackson was a QB, etc.
The pro game is different, it's always a question of projecting a guy into a pro system, certainly far from an exact science.

Look at the 49ers who with lil' Shanny and Lynch have proven they are very good at talent evaluation. They gave up the farm for Lance (three 1st including a top 10 and a 3rd) who they ended up trading away for a 4th then pick Purdy in the 7th and find a guy who looks like the real deal.

I also am a big believer that for many if not most QBs coming into the league the situation they come into makes a huge difference. You can't tell me that all of those QBs drafted over the years by the Browns, the Jets, etc. weren't NFL capable. Put them in those situations though and they fail. Look at Geno Smith, terrible with the Jets, considered a bust, now a starter for a playoff contender and statistically at least slightly above average and ahead of some bigger names.

Does Payton have a guy he has identified in the draft who he thinks will be a steal? Does he have a guy already in the league he has identified as a rescue project?

I'm thinking that unless they trade the pick away that Denver is going to be drafting fairly high in the 2025 draft because this team is going to not be good.

I'm becoming a Penix fan, I've seen a lot that I like out of J.J. McCarthy from Michigan. He's not athletically elite but he makes the offense happen. Like other QBs in the draft though their success will depend a lot on where they land.

- Arm Strength
- Size
- Mobility
- Pocket Presence
- Release time
- Production
- Big game performance
- Intelligence
- Leadership/Intangibles

Not saying you are wrong, but why isn’t this the overwhelming consensus among the mocks? Performance against the elite back 7s and high caliber DLs in these last two games may change the minds of current skeptics.

The wind up comes into play on intermediate throws that are late. The quick release is a great quality, but does not overcome the issue entirely IMO.
Is this a legitimate criticism by scouts? Haven't really seen this part of his game knocked widely, but I guess.

Not saying you are wrong, but why isn’t this the overwhelming consensus among the mocks? Performance against the elite back 7s and high caliber DLs in these last two games may change the minds of current skeptics.
Probably due to the same reasons he lost the Heisman this year, coupled with the mainstream focus on this QB class the past 12+ months being on Williams and Maye (and to a lesser extent Daniels).

His looping throwing motion is far less significant than Tua's. My only hesitation with Penix is injury history. How is he physically going to feel in 4-5 years? That's the gamble with him, IMO.

Is this a legitimate criticism by scouts? Haven't really seen this part of his game knocked widely, but I guess.
Probably due to the same reasons he lost the Heisman this year, coupled with the mainstream focus on this QB class the past 12+ months being on Williams and Maye (and to a lesser extent Daniels).

His looping throwing motion is far less significant than Tua's. My only hesitation with Penix is injury history. How is he physically going to feel in 4-5 years? That's the gamble with him, IMO.
Fantasy football has spawned a lot if good GMs recently. You may well be right. There’s lots of commentary out there. It will grow.

Bold. But could be true.
He was a late first rounder from everything I've seen. What he did against a very good defense was not a fluke, IMO. Injury history is really his biggest downfall, which will be huge for him to overcome with a lot teams.

He was a late first rounder from everything I've seen. What he did against a very good defense was not a fluke, IMO. Injury history is really his biggest downfall, which will be huge for him to overcome with a lot teams.
Penix is not even a first rounder in half the NFL mock drafts I’ve seen. I’ve seen one where he went #11 to the Raiders, but none in the top ten.

Back