What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

** Official Basketball Game Thread -- Colorado @ ASU **

The logical side of me says that CU should not be able to go on the road and beat ASU without Josh and XJ. But having watched the game, that's simply not the case. Even without them, CU is the more talented basketball team and should have won today. Did not play defense in the 2nd half and turtled in crunch time.

This program seemed like it was ready to turn a corner the past few years. Since Dinwiddie's injury last year it's looking at times like we might not be getting over the hump after all.

The logical side of me says that CU should not be able to go on the road and beat ASU without Josh and XJ. But having watched the game, that's simply not the case. Even without them, CU is the more talented basketball team and should have won today. Did not play defense in the 2nd half and turtled in crunch time.
this

ASU is even more pathetic than I envisioned, which makes this painful. Killer loss

This program seemed like it was ready to turn a corner the past few years. Since Dinwiddie's injury last year it's looking at times like we might not be getting over the hump after all.

With or without those two this team has as much raw talent as we have ever had top to bottom. We have had some individual players that exceeded like Chauncey, Burks, Harrison, etc. but top to bottom we haven't been close. At the same time this roster flat out lacks leadership. We don't have guys who take charge in the clutch, we don't have guys who push others to be better players.

Does this loss make it look difficult for us to get an nit bid? Hurts

Stop it. Just stop it. We still have the entire conference schedule left. Yes this loss sucks and its stupid. With XJ and Josh healthy we could have knocked off both AZ schools with the way Ski and J-Hop played on that swing. Buffs lose both at home to the Washington schools and I will be concerned about getting an NIT bid. Right now we are not an NCAA caliber team, but we are most definitely an NIT caliber squad. There is no need to go jump off the deep end just yet.

Buffs are going to need the 1-bid league regular season champs to win their tourneys. They all get auto-bids to the NIT if they fall in their tourneys and those bids can fill up fast for the 32-team NIT. If the Buffs can't get on the NCAA bubble conversation, there's little chance of making the NIT.

Stop it. Just stop it. We still have the entire conference schedule left. Yes this loss sucks and its stupid. With XJ and Josh healthy we could have knocked off both AZ schools with the way Ski and J-Hop played on that swing. Buffs lose both at home to the Washington schools and I will be concerned about getting an NIT bid. Right now we are not an NCAA caliber team, but we are most definitely an NIT caliber squad. There is no need to go jump off the deep end just yet.

I'm actually not over reacting this time. In fact, you are. I don't know **** about bball. Our RPI seems good enough, but the nit isn't 64 teams anymore. In the end I think we still go as long as we defend home court, but we need XJ and Scott to get healthy soon.

I'm actually not over reacting this time. In fact, you are. I don't know **** about bball. Our RPI seems good enough, but the nit isn't 64 teams anymore. In the end I think we still go as long as we defend home court, but we need XJ and Scott to get healthy soon.

Things would have to go completely wrong for the buffs, both in our play and in the smaller conference tourneys in order for the buffs to not receive an invite. That scenario is not out of the realm of possibility but it would take some really bad luck.

Buffs need to get healthy and fast. We lose at home to a WSU squad that is much better than expected and things could get really bad really fast.

Brady hit something like 46 of 50 the other day in practice from 3pt range. He is not big enough to play D at this level, but he has a pretty good 3pt stroke
I can understand that, but if the offense doesn't come close to giving him an opportunity to hit a 3, doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Shooters. They have them, we don't. Simple as that. Been that way for 2+ years now. (The flurry at the end was a total fluke.) Until that gets fixed, we'll be a middling program at best.

I'll say it again: We need a minimum of 8 more wins to have a chance at the NIT. We'd need to go 8-5 down the stretch and win a game in Vegas. That means we go 6-1 at home and get two wins on the road. If anyone is confident of that, I need some of your drugs.

Also, if people haven't noticed ... WSU, a team we expected to get 2 automatic wins against, has beaten UW and Oregon.

Last edited:
Well ... today's result sucked. But perhaps we can take some solace in the fact that we played UA tougher than Utah did?

Wouldn't they prefer a team like CU that draws good home attendance numbers than a team that only has a 5000 person gym?

Well they don't have a choice if it's a small conference side that won its regular season conference title. They get an NiT auto bid if they trip up in the conference tournament.

Shooters. They have them, we don't. Simple as that. Been that way for 2+ years now. (The flurry at the end was a total fluke.) Until that gets fixed, we'll be a middling program at best.

I'll say it again: We need a minimum of 8 more wins to have a chance at the NIT. We'd need to go 8-5 down the stretch and win a game in Vegas. That means we go 6-1 at home and get two wins on the road. If anyone is confident of that, I need some of your drugs.

Also, if people haven't noticed ... WSU, a team we expected to get 2 automatic wins against, has beaten UW and Oregon.

No, we need a PG. We aren't a bad shooting team. We are shooting 38.2% from deep, 47.9% from 2 (needs to improve), and 72.2% from the line. What is killing us on offense is the turnovers and lack of assists. A PG who can distribute will make us a better team but putting the perimeter players to take more favorable shots from deep or open up the lane for Scott and Wesley.

Since when did beating Oregon or UW this year in conference play mean much? We are still favored to beat them both times according to KenPom.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No, we need a PG. We aren't a bad shooting team. We are shooting 38.2% from deep, 47.9% from 2 (needs to improve), and 72.2% from the line. What is killing us on offense is the turnovers and lack of assists. A PG who can distribute will make us a better team but putting the perimeter players to take more favorable shots from deep or open up the lane for Scott and Wesley.

Since when did beating Oregon or UW this year in conference play mean much? We are still favored to beat them both times according to KenPom.

Agreed. We desperately need a PG who can penetrate, collapse the D and kick out to more open looks. Can't argue there.

I'm not saying it means much ... I'm just saying WSU is not the pushover that some might have thought they were coming into the season, including me. Neither is OSU. All wins are going to be tough to come by in the P12. We're down as a conference but more even across the board.

Take Ski out of those shooting numbers and we drop off pretty significantly, just like last year. And if you think this team has enough jump shooters to be successful in this league, then I'm not sure what to say. It's blatantly obvious.

Agreed. We desperately need a PG who can penetrate, collapse the D and kick out to more open looks. Can't argue there.

I'm not saying it means much ... I'm just saying WSU is not the pushover that some might have thought they were coming into the season, including me. Neither is OSU. All wins are going to be tough to come by in the P12. We're down as a conference but more even across the board.

Take Ski out of those shooting numbers and we drop off pretty significantly, just like last year. And if you think this team has enough jump shooters to be successful in this league, then I'm not sure what to say. It's blatantly obvious.

This is unfortunate.

Well they don't have a choice if it's a small conference side that won its regular season conference title. They get an NiT auto bid if they trip up in the conference tournament.

Also they would rather have a 5000 seat gym that is mostly full vs. ours mostly empty. We will have very good regular season attendance this year, that is because they have sold a big number of season tickets. If we continue to disappoint it would be easy to see a lot of those season ticket holders passing on an NIT game considering that the expectation for this season was to compete for a top seed in the conference and get a better seed in the NCAA tourney than we have had the past couple years.

Tad has done an amazing job since he has been here and basketball now means something at CU but we are still not one of those schools where basketball is an integral part of the culture. People are turning out because they see Tad's teams as winners and expect entertaining wins. It's easy to see a lack of enthusiasm for a team limping into the NIT. I don't know if it would drop below 4 or 5 thousand but I can see where the tourney would rather have a full, enthusiastic small gym than a half full, half dead bigger one.

I'm not a basketball expert, but what I'm seeing that differentiates this team from the past few years is not a point guard with the ability to dish. I could be way off on this because I didn't even look at the stats, but I don't remember Dinwiddie or Burks being exceptional passers/huge assist guys. What they both COULD do exceptionally well though, was to create their own shots by driving to the hoop and drawing fouls. When the team needed a bucket to stop a run or in crunch time, I remember both of those guys having the ability to take it to the basket and either get a bucket, a foul, or both. We don't have that on this team. Ski can occasionally create his own shot, but he's not big enough to finish in the lane. JHop constantly misses layups. Scott isn't athletic enough to finish vs elite bigs (plus he's been playing hurt). I think Tad knew we didn't have anyone with the ability to create shots/opportunities and therefore stressed getting out on the break to use our athleticism to beat teams down the court before they could set up a defense. That CAN work if you play defense and rebound well but we don't do either. We don't seem to be able to get 5 guys on the court at the same time who will consistently work together to play good defense and rebound. It only takes one guy out of five to be not paying attention to mess up our defensive scheme and it seems like way too often someone is zoning out and our opponent gets a wide open shot or easy rebound.

The above said, I DO think this team is improving and that's good. Despite losing, our offense definitely does not look as completely inept as it did earlier in the season. At times, it looks like we are actually running some semblance of a 1/2 court offense and I see us actually executing some plays rather than just passing it around the perimeter until the shot clock runs out. If we played Wyoming today, even without Scott and XJ, there is no way it would be the slaughter that it was. So we've got that going for us... Yeh.

Last edited:
Back