What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

This reminded me of the ****er walk-on program. Those kids are so looking forward to munching on Runzas.
Honestly, that's a brilliant move. Mormons are pretty good at finding loopholes.

It would seem to be counter to the NCAA rule limiting a team to 85 scholarship athletes.
but not counter to the NCAA's response to the SCOTUS ruling. we've already had reports of SEC walkons finding NIL income -- I'm not seeing how this is any different.

is it a loophole though? seems that they're doing what is explicitly now allowed by the ruling.
What do you think a loophole is?

I think that a loophole is a way to get around the "intent" of a rule through a technicality (that may or may not be found somewhere else in the rules). The intent is for FBS schools to have 85 scholarship players. The getting around it through a technicality is to broker an NIL agreement to provide scholarship money to walk-ons.

What do you think a loophole is?

I think that a loophole is a way to get around the "intent" of a rule through a technicality (that may or may not be found somewhere else in the rules). The intent is for FBS schools to have 85 scholarship players. The getting around it through a technicality is to broker an NIL agreement to provide scholarship money to walk-ons.
an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules

you're calling BYU's response to the NIL a "loophole" -- could you give an example where a player taking NIL money is not a loophole?

it seems that by your understanding, if a walk-on gets any money, it's a "loophole" b/c it's against the NCAA's intent of a 85 scholarship limit.

by this same logic, if a scholarship player gets any NIL money, it seems also a loophole as it's against the NCAA intent of scholarships covering only "tuition, certain course-related fees, room and board, and the value or provision of books"

Last edited:
an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules

you're calling BYU's response to the NIL a "loophole" -- could you give an example where a player taking NIL money is not a loophole

So the "rule" is 85 scholarship players. That's the rule. Set NIL aside for a moment. The rule is 85 scholarship players - it's a hard and fast rule that was literally created to introduce more parity to the sport.

The ambiguity and inadequacy of NIL created a loophole through which that rule could be circumvented.

So the "rule" is 85 scholarship players. That's the rule. Set NIL aside for a moment. The rule is 85 scholarship players - it's a hard and fast rule that was literally created to introduce more parity to the sport.

The ambiguity and inadequacy of NIL created a loophole through which that rule could be circumvented.
so, again, by the same logic, a scholarship player taking NIL money would also be considered a loophole as it's against the NCAA intent of scholarships covering only "tuition, certain course-related fees, room and board, and the value or provision of books"

am I correctly following your reasoning?

As we travel farther and farther down the NIL rabbit hole, my disgust with the NCAA increases. Had they just been decent human beings with Jeremy Bloom, none of this would be happening now. Bastards thought they were bulletproof. Now they’re sitting on a gurney with a big ass shotgun blast to the chest.

Last edited:
so, again, by the same logic, a scholarship player taking NIL money would also be considered a loophole as it's against the NCAA intent of scholarships covering only "tuition, certain course-related fees, room and board, and the value or provision of books"

am I correctly following your reasoning?
I think intent is key. When they passed/accepted NIL, the full intent/understanding was that some athletes (if not 100% at a lot of schools) would receive more than "tuition, fees, room, board, books, etc." I don't believe the intent was to also eliminate the 85 scholarship limit. It's a new loophole in the 85 scholarship player limit.

"But what about all the other 'benefits' that schools can provide to scholarship athletes that they can't also provide to non-scholarship athletes?" It's a good question, but I would point out that there is no rule that prohibits non-scholarship players from purchasing the same (or substantially similar) benefits...

Basically, the 85 scholarship limit has also been effectively removed by the NIL rules, and BYU was simply the first to figure that out.

I mean, how sustainable is it for a small local company to continue paying hundreds of thousands of dollars every year I put walk-on players on scholarship, especially when most of them don’t see the field. I don’t think we are all of the sudden in danger of Alabama, Clemson, etc bringing in a bunch of 4* type players they wouldn’t normally have room for, just because a local company is going to pay for their school.

I mean, how sustainable is it for a small local company to continue paying hundreds of thousands of dollars every year I put walk-on players on scholarship, especially when most of them don’t see the field. I don’t think we are all of the sudden in danger of Alabama, Clemson, etc bringing in a bunch of 4* type players they wouldn’t normally have room for, just because a local company is going to pay for their school.
Flip it around.

The local (and regional) company pays all of the school costs, plus the cash to "purchase" nutritionists, tutors, etc, etc from the school, plus a stipend, for the top 15-20 stars, turning them into "walk ons" under the NCAA rules. Then the school uses its 85 scholarships for the players who aren't getting big NIL deals. Viola, we're back at 100+ "effective scholarship" players.

Everyone is throwing stupid money to see what sticks. It happens in anything that is new. This company will go bankrupt or stop this stupidity.

Flip it around.

The local (and regional) company pays all of the school costs, plus the cash to "purchase" nutritionists, tutors, etc, etc from the school, plus a stipend, for the top 15-20 stars, turning them into "walk ons" under the NCAA rules. Then the school uses its 85 scholarships for the players who aren't getting big NIL deals. Viola, we're back at 100+ "effective scholarship" players.
And the guys who would be priority recruits at a school that recruits at a lower level become additional depth at the top 25 program.

Kids want to go where they can win and the good recruiters can convince them that they belong there, even if they are actually marginal.

In the past a school like say Bama or Ohio State would have a certain number of players that they would have to say sorry we want you but don't have space offering them a walk-on opportunity. This ended up giving them the choice of going to the big name and paying for it hoping to earn a scholly or going to a less prominent school like Missouri, Purdue, or Colorado and getting it paid for.

Now with NIL there is no financial incentive for them to consider not going to the top school.

And the guys who would be priority recruits at a school that recruits at a lower level become additional depth at the top 25 program.

Kids want to go where they can win and the good recruiters can convince them that they belong there, even if they are actually marginal.

In the past a school like say Bama or Ohio State would have a certain number of players that they would have to say sorry we want you but don't have space offering them a walk-on opportunity. This ended up giving them the choice of going to the big name and paying for it hoping to earn a scholly or going to a less prominent school like Missouri, Purdue, or Colorado and getting it paid for.

Now with NIL there is no financial incentive for them to consider not going to the top school.
I’m not so sure about that. I think that most kids want to go where they can play, in order to get exposure for the NFL, especially the talented ones. Why would they choose to go ride the pine at Ohio State or Alabama for a few extra bucks?

is it a loophole though? seems that they're doing what is explicitly now allowed by the ruling.
Can the school be directly involved in the NIL deals though? The schools seem like they should not be anywhere near the NIL or the concept of amateurism is over!

Yep, and that is just the beginning

I’m not so sure about that. I think that most kids want to go where they can play, in order to get exposure for the NFL, especially the talented ones. Why would they choose to go ride the pine at Ohio State or Alabama for a few extra bucks?
Because the top end kids are used to being able to perform their way onto the field. A lot of them believe that the only reason that they aren't a higher priority is because the coaches missed on the evaluation and they will show them wrong. The coaches don't do anything to dispel this idea.

It would seem to be counter to the NCAA rule limiting a team to 85 scholarship athletes.
It’s not an “athletic” scholarship. I don’t think the ncaa is saying that a “non-Scholarship” player can’t be on a Chemistry scholarship.
And this isn’t being paid by the school.

^this. Kind of like that Miami guy.

Back