What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

I fully acknowledge that I haven’t watched him play, but at some point production has to match any kind of eye test for it to matter and “Georgia Tech had a horrible team around him” isn’t a legitimate excuse for an NFL caliber QB THREE seasons in a row.
I watched a couple GT games. Thought he was a better athlete than he was a football player.

Bunch of Tards. They literally just make stuff up.

CP is absolutely right that there is no true definition of "culture". Winning team wins because of the talent (coaches & players) and high standard (hard work & discipline). It is the case for football, any other sports, companies, military teams, etc. Winning teams create buzzword like "culture", it's a "culture" because they win, they don't win because of "culture".

CP is absolutely right that there is no true definition of "culture". Winning team wins because of the talent (coaches & players) and high standard (hard work & discipline). It is the case for football, any other sports, companies, military teams, etc. Winning teams create buzzword like "culture", it's a "culture" because they win, they don't win because of "culture".
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Okay, I can't let the absurdity of this statement go.

You seem to be ignoring ALL of the research which consistently tells us that great teams are more than a collection of individuals. Teams of average performers with aligned culture and psychological safety will always outperform teams of high-performing individuals with dissonant culture.

Great teams win because of great culture. I'm not saying talent doesn't matter. But championship teams always have great culture (and yes, hard work and discipline are part of great culture).

I mean other than that notable shortfall, great ****ing post!

You seem to be ignoring ALL of the research which consistently tells us that great teams are more than a collection of individuals. Teams of average performers with aligned culture and psychological safety will always outperform teams of high-performing individuals with dissonant culture.

Great teams win because of great culture. I'm not saying talent doesn't matter. But championship teams always have great culture (and yes, hard work and discipline are part of great culture).

Thanks. I didn’t want to have to put thought into responding to that.

How would you define culture?

This doesn’t square with my experience.

I admit that I used to think that “culture,” especially when attributing it as a primary cause for an accident or poor performance of a team, was a bit of a whitewash. But I no longer think that.

I’ve seen and been part of what people would refer to as high performing teams in the civilian and military world. And those teams built very intentional cultures, to accomplish those missions.

I’ve also seen the culture of a company and an organization, directly lead to bad outcomes.

I’m a believer in the power of organizational culture now.

Great team doesn't win because of culture. Great team wins because of talent, hard working and attention to details. If you want to define "talent, hard working and attention to details" as culture, fine, which proves what CP said. Culture is nothing but a buzzword. You probably should just say those 3 words.

Here is the thing. When a team wins, whatever they do becomes "good culture". When a team lose, whatever they do becomes "bad culture". It's simple like that. But to say you need "culture" to win is BS. Either someone doesn't understand what takes to win, or someone wants to brainwash you to do things in their way.

Last edited:
Great team doesn't win because of culture. Great team wins because of talent, hard working and attention to details. If you want to define "talent, hard working and attention to details" as culture, fine, which proves what CP said. Culture is nothing but a buzzword. When you talk about culture, you probably should just say those 3 words.
I would define culture as how the team members communicate and relate to each other. How does the organization respond to an issue? Who takes responsibility? Individuals can be talented or work hard but can’t win without a level of commitment to healthy relationships. There are multiple possible winning cultures, but the whole team needs to on the same page. There are even more dysfunctional cultures.

Great team doesn't win because of culture. Great team wins because of talent, hard working and attention to details. If you want to define "talent, hard working and attention to details" as culture, fine, which proves what CP said. Culture is nothing but a buzzword. When you talk about culture, you probably should just say those 3 words.
Definitely a semantic argument here.

Leaders define and develop a culture as their main job. Expectations, accountability, values. "Culture" sometimes becomes meaningless coachspeak, but it is the word that describes the aggregate of these things and the need to bring in the type of people who fit into it.

One great example of Coach Prime culture is the expectation that players say "Yes/No Sir/Ma'am" around campus and town, hold doors for others, and treat everyone with gratitude & respect. Someone could be a 5* stud, but CP would not sign him or keep him around if he was self-absorbed and big-timed people with all of his personal interactions. Being great and working hard doesn't supersede this. That is culture.

What does any of this have to do with how much we ****ing hate the Nubs?
Technically, everything I say has some level of Nub hate that's at least adjacent to the point. But, yeah, we've drifted into a different topic from the focused intent of this thread.

That's called "procedure". You don't need "culture" for that, you need a well defined procedure for that.
Procedure and culture are very different things. Procedure is what's promulgated, culture determines what actually happens. Culture will always develop. Spiff used the word "intentional". Great leaders are intentional about developing the culture that best serves their organization.

Hard-work, discipline and accountability are norms typically found in successful cultures, but there are many, many other possibilities. And not all good cultures are the same. Good cultures are aligned with outcomes. For instance, there is a reason that the Navy and Army have very different cultures. They have very different missions.

That is culture.
See, we have three people arguing "culture" is important here.

Nik think culture is "Expectations, accountability, behavior norm".

goalline think culture is "how the team members communicate and relate to each other"

Uncle Ken think culture is "The sum of the norms."

Before we continue this discussion, I probably need a unified definition of "culture" from you guys so I know what we are talking about :giggle:

See, we have three people arguing "culture" is important here.

Nik think culture is "Expectations, accountability, behavior norm".

goalline think culture is "how the team members communicate and relate to each other"

Uncle Ken think culture is "The sum of the norms."

Before we continue this discussion, I probably need a unified definition of "culture" from you guys so I know what we are talking about :giggle:
UK's definition is the correct one. goalline and I provided specific examples to UK's all-encompassing definition. Hope that helps.

By your definition, you can just say

Which totally makes sense.
That's the reason my definition of culture is the sum of the norms. Norms are tactical and often in tension with one another. When you look at all of them combined, the (often) unspoken beliefs and behaviors of an organization are raised to the strategic level.

Also, designated leaders can't just tell people what the culture is. They can, however, be very mindful about influencing it.

UK's definition is the correct one. goalline and I provided specific examples to UK's all-encompassing definition. Hope that helps.
That's what CP is saying then. Use "norms". Don't use "culture". Not sure what we are arguing about here.

Norms are fundamental to any team. Teams with norms have high floor. Teams with norms, and talent and hardwork, have high ceiling. You can gel in whatever awesome way you want, and you still can't beat Alabama.

Let me make my point clear. I am not arguing against norms, or culture. My whole point is, great team doesn't win because of "norms". Great team wins because of talent, hard working and attention to details. They also need to have good "norms", but that's not the differentiation factor. And yes, the members don't necessarily like each other.

That's what CP is saying then. Use "norms". Don't use "culture". Not sure what we are arguing about here.

Norms are fundamental to any team. Teams with norms have high floor. Teams with norms, and talent and hardwork, have high ceiling. You can gel in whatever awesome way you want, and you still can't beat Alabama.

Let me make my point clear. I am not arguing against norms, or culture. My whole point is, great team doesn't win because of "norms". Great team wins because of talent, hard working and attention to details. They also need to have good "norms", but that's not the differentiation factor. And yes, the members don't necessarily like each other.
Then you are missing a big piece.

Also, what we’re actually arguing about here is that @#1 pick doesn't yet follow our culture of hating on the nubs.

Confluence of issues here: there have been plenty of championship teams that had a terrible culture. Ex A: 1994 & 1995 knu

I saw a link to an artcle that said....

"SC Justice Thomas had 7 trips to Nebraska Football games"

I am of the opinion that these should NOT be investigated because these trips are of no VALUE whatsoever. I don't think you can criticize a Supreme Court Justice for receiving benefits and not reporting them when they literally have NO VALUE.

Move along to something else Dems.

Confluence of issues here: there have been plenty of championship teams that had a terrible culture. Ex A: 1994 & 1995 knu
Terrible fans are not the same thing as terrible culture.

I'd be curious to hear @FlaBuff 's views regarding the culture of the 1990 CU team v. the 1994 team. It's my impression that the 1994 team was more talented.

But not here. **** nebraska.

Back