What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. Air Force Game Thread

Question

If you are going to truly run a power Wildcat play with a stud like Viska, why waste 3-4 players on motion, out wide, or a lazy QB?

Put in 7 linemen, 2 TE’s, and a Fullback, then blow those Mfers back!!!

I’ve wondered this too. 0% chance Viska throws a pass

I figured if this game was close it’d be 45-42 type of game because our offense would have their way. The fact that our offense could barely move the ball outside of Viska is extremely concerning. OL looked as bad as they did at any point last year.
People always talk about the AF offense being hard to prepare for but their defense is just as unusual and sometimes as hard to prepare for.

The use a lot of penetration both full blitzes and also just controlled shooting of gaps that can make it very hard to run the plays teams like to run. If you can't get to the penetration quickly it messes up your timing and forces the plays to change angles.

It is a defense that requires absolute discipline and high intelligence to run because the attackers leave gaps that their teammates have to be able to read the response of the offense and cover for.

This first one is opinion based on what you choose to believe. I'm not saying he's a genius back there, but as fans, we don't actually know what his reads are or what his pre snap responsibilities are. He actually checked us into several fortuitous plays today. He needs to be better and more consistent though.

The second part, we don't have the world beaters I think you think we have, outside of Shenault.
A 5th year with little to no pre-snap responsibility says quite a bit. Yeah it's just my opinion and it doesn't mean **** to you, but if you think Montez is a good QB well that's on you. A 5th year QB at power 5 school that struggles the way he does is not a positive sign for him being anything more then the most tenured guy on the team.

A 5th year with little to no pre-snap responsibility says quite a bit. Yeah it's just my opinion and it doesn't mean **** to you, but if you think Montez is a good QB well that's on you. A 5th year QB at power 5 school that struggles the way he does is not a positive sign for him being anything more then the most tenured guy on the team.
You realize several P5 teams would kill to have him behind center, right? As in, several P5 teams are starting guys who play much worse football than Montez does.

Keys going forward:

1. Pound the rock. This team is not efficient on offense to thrive without running the ball a lot. Need to see high volume of Carrie's every week.

2. Limit big plays in the pass defense. Is that a realistic expectation? Probably not.

3. Avoid big special teams mistakes. Two weeks in a row now we have had issues there.

You realize several P5 teams would kill to have him behind center, right? As in, several P5 teams are starting guys who play much worse football than Montez does.
You like Montez that's cool. A 5th year guy should be able to manage his position a lot better then Montez does. If the coaching staff has such little faith in his ability to read a D pre-snap and make changes or to force him to make first read throws no matter the coverage all the time says what about Montez?

You like Montez that's cool. A 5th year guy should be able to manage his position a lot better then Montez does. If the coaching staff has such little faith in his ability to read a D pre-snap and make changes or to force him to make first read throws no matter the coverage all the time says what about Montez?
When did I say he doesn't have pre snap responsibilities or doesn't go through progressions? I didn't. I said you or I have no actual proof of any of our opinions. We have to go off what we see, and I'm telling you Montez does work through his progressions. Not all the time, but if the first read is open, he doesn't have to go through them. I'm telling you you're seeing what you want, so you can feel good about your narrative, not what's ever actually happening.

He is not as bad as his haters (including me) think. He is also not as good as his defenders think.
I'm not a defender. I'm calling it like I see it. I'll be critical of every player when criticism is deserved, but I realize, and I know you do too, that there's more going into each play than most of us know, and in the moment, the first thing most of you guys do is get upset with every single incompletion, as if Montez or anyone else is supposed to complete every single throw.

When he sucks, I say he sucks.

This is such an outlier game because of the offense they faced, but this was definitely a game that was automatically counted as a win in any predictions. So yeah, W/L expectations just got reduced by a game
And I had them at six with this as a win. They should beat ARZ at home and UCLA looks winnable given the s__t show going on there. The others? I dunno. A schizophrenic Montez, a rookie in at Safety, slow first-halfs that don’t look fixable or they’d already be fixed, and ZERO NADDA ZILTCH NO BUENO pass pressure on opposing QBs. Me thinks four to five wins, unfortunately.

I'm not a defender. I'm calling it like I see it. I'll be critical of every player when criticism is deserved, but I realize, and I know you do too, that there's more going into each play than most of us know, and in the moment, the first thing most of you guys do is get upset with every single incompletion, as if Montez or anyone else is supposed to complete every single throw.

I think the laziness with mechanics is the big issue. It just looks bad far too often. I know it is not just fans seeing it either, the announcers harp on it plenty as well.

It is what is.

You’re his biggest defender here, even going as far as constantly defending the (lack of) leadership criticisms, so let’s not act like you’re just calling it like you see it.

When did I say he doesn't have pre snap responsibilities or doesn't go through progressions? I didn't. I said you or I have no actual proof of any of our opinions. We have to go off what we see, and I'm telling you Montez does work through his progressions. Not all the time, but if the first read is open, he doesn't have to go through them. I'm telling you you're seeing what you want, so you can feel good about your narrative, not what's ever actually happening.
You're right, your word is the almighty. I have no idea who you are but I am soooo sorry I spoke negatively about Montez. Best 5th year QB out there. Can't believe I'd have faith of what I see with my own eyes. Stupid me. All Hail Montez!!!

You're right, your word is the almighty. I have no idea who you are but I am soooo sorry I spoke negatively about Montez. Best 5th year QB out there. Can't believe I'd have faith of what I see with my own eyes. Stupid me. All Hail Montez!!!
What you’re seeing is correct. Medford believes that this team hasn’t been to a bowl game with Montez as a full time starter because receivers don’t run the right routes, coaches don’t call the right plays and the OL can’t give him enough time.

You’re his biggest defender here, even going as far as constantly defending the (lack of) leadership criticisms, so let’s not act like you’re just calling it like you see it.
I think I've already gone into great detail about the leadership thing. I think that whole "thing" is terribly cliché. As for calling it like I see it, I'm sorry I understand the nuance of football plays better than you?

Back