What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. Air Force Game Thread

I’m behind Montez. Dude has been through a crap load of change in offenses.
I’ll be glad when Tucker can get a guy that fits his offense.

He's absolutely better than DTR, Huntley, Tate, and the ASU freshman. We don't really know much about Slovis yet, but he's got more to work with than Montez.

If you want to argue Huntley or Tate, I'll tell you which of the three between them and Montez is actually going to play QB at the next level.
The correct answer is none.

Montez will get a cup of coffee in the NFL. He does not have any intangibles at all. He is a slow-twitch athlete. There are back up NFL nose tackles with better athleticism than Montez.
He's seemingly become a worse athlete through his time here. Very odd. He's fast enough once he gets a head of steam, but he can not make a cut for ****.

I think the laziness with mechanics is the big issue. It just looks bad far too often. I know it is not just fans seeing it either, the announcers harp on it plenty as well.

It is what is.
The mechanics is an issue that should have been fixed a long time ago. It does keep him from being as effective as he should be and opponents know that he can be forced into bad mechanics.

The question is, and too late now to do anything about it, but is it due to bad coaching, is it because he doesn't know how to take coaching, is it because he is just set in his ways?

I appreciate our last coach taking over a dumpster fire and getting us to a point of at least looking like a P5 program but how many players, especially on offense really got better under the last staff?

So, are we still holding back the offense? I am a little worried as I feel like we need to find an identity at some point. I think this could have been a good game to attack the edges and we really didn't seem to find a rhythm on offense. Montez needed easy passes as it was obvious he was extremely shook and we just couldn't find any kind of identity on O. We ran one sweep that got stuffed late in the 3rd quarter and that was it. Seemed to be the same plays, same results all game.

He's absolutely better than DTR, Huntley, Tate, and the ASU freshman. We don't really know much about Slovis yet, but he's got more to work with than Montez.

If you want to argue Huntley or Tate, I'll tell you which of the three between them and Montez is actually going to play QB at the next level.

Saying Montez is a top 3 Pac 12 South QB is like saying the USMNT is the 2nd best in Concacaf. Might sound nice, but in the swing of things nobody gives a ****.

No but think of it this way. Your team got beat by a team that got beat by a MWC team. Does that make you a WAC team?

This is basically the same fusker team that lost to Troy...So, they would lose to AFA’s discipline, conditioning and execution. They’d lose to CSU, and most likely WYO, Boise St. and Nevada...

Keys going forward:

1. Pound the rock. This team is not efficient on offense to thrive without running the ball a lot. Need to see high volume of Carrie's every week.

2. Limit big plays in the pass defense. Is that a realistic expectation? Probably not.

3. Avoid big special teams mistakes. Two weeks in a row now we have had issues there.

I too would like to see a lot of Carrie’s per week.

The mechanics is an issue that should have been fixed a long time ago. It does keep him from being as effective as he should be and opponents know that he can be forced into bad mechanics.

The question is, and too late now to do anything about it, but is it due to bad coaching, is it because he doesn't know how to take coaching, is it because he is just set in his ways?

I appreciate our last coach taking over a dumpster fire and getting us to a point of at least looking like a P5 program but how many players, especially on offense really got better under the last staff?
It's because once the lights go on, he just reverts to his old ways because he lacks focus.

So, are we still holding back the offense? I am a little worried as I feel like we need to find an identity at some point. I think this could have been a good game to attack the edges and we really didn't seem to find a rhythm on offense. Montez needed easy passes as it was obvious he was extremely shook and we just couldn't find any kind of identity on O. We ran one sweep that got stuffed late in the 3rd quarter and that was it. Seemed to be the same plays, same results all game.
We need to run the ball more. The early false starts and getting behind screwed up our ability to establish the run game, but when we ran, it was fairly effective. Fontenot was tentative today, but managed 40 yards, while Mangham actually averaged 5.6 yards per carry. I do feel like, for whatever reason, Johnson has failed thus far to establish an identity.

Looked a lot like last years 0-7 team. I was really hoping the "building" of this team was further along than it appears, but back to reality. Hope recruiting picks up.

Oh, then we just differ on what we are evaluating. As a college football fan, i evaluate quarterbacks on winning games in college, not what they project at the next level.

His measurables are great, i guess i have to give you that. But i root for wins and bowl appearances more than hoping he's drafted in the 3rd or 4th round.

It's because once the lights go on, he just reverts to his old ways because he lacks focus.
He's weird. At times he goes to instinct (bad instinct) but we have also then seen him step up like he did last week.

How much of it is being in a bad program for the past few years?

Let's hope for a time when the QBs we are playing are guys who are ready to play at this level instead of just thrown in there because we have nobody else and left to figure it out on the run.

Surprised to see all the overthrows today, I thought Montez was settling down. Have to give a lot of credit to AFA, they pushed our pocket and forced some of that. Still, good to see our defense come around. Can't miss extra points like that when you're not an overpowering team offensively.

yep, that was a tough loss. I just keep saying in my head the ride home "****ing air force. WTF?
OL looked weak, DL didn't look much better, we looked SLOW, Montez made some really bad throws, etc....man, this suks. Thought we would turn the corner. I was really thinking Montez big yards and lots of receivers involved. Not even close.

Well, that sucked. Congrats to AF. They showed what disciplined, well coached football can do.

Montez with that win would have had a .500 record, and he could not get there. Looking forward to rewatching this game to confirm that his footwork, mechanics, and decisions cost this game! O-Line could have been better, but were adequate. Defense was gashed, but made stops and kept points manageable, and the Extra Point was huge, but if Montez plays better this is a no doubt victory, period!!! First time I have jumped off his ship ever, very frustrated.

Here's the one sentence the announcers on ABC randomly had to say about the game "How about Colorado, Beat Nebraska last week and turn around and lose to Air Force this week."

That's straight up embarrassing to hear.

We need to run the ball more. The early false starts and getting behind screwed up our ability to establish the run game, but when we ran, it was fairly effective. Fontenot was tentative today, but managed 40 yards, while Mangham actually averaged 5.6 yards per carry. I do feel like, for whatever reason, Johnson has failed thus far to establish an identity.
There are some major issues on the interior of the oline. I think I saw 3-4 different guys playing. They were consistently getting pushed back and missed assignments. We might see some true freshman playing next year there

There are some major issues on the interior of the oline. I think I saw 3-4 different guys playing. They were consistently getting pushed back and missed assignments. We might see some true freshman playing next year there
Pursell was pulled for Roddick. IDK if Lytle played on offense at all, but he was in on FG unit.

Yep. Sherman and Kutch did not play well. Roddick and Lytle are marginal.

I still don't know who we are as a team. MT says we will be a tough running team but we don't do it enough to prove that. We have a deep passing game but abandon it for half a game at a time, we have a series of plays to the TE than move us down the field then forget it and never come back to it.

Back