What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFB Playoff discussion thread

Or, that ND is left out because they chose not to challenge themselves with a 13th game... but I would be all for leaving them out :D
If they had a 13th game, it would be against Clemson. Would probably knock them out of the playoff.

Regardless of what tOSU does, Oklahoma should be in. Murray vs the Bama defense? Must see TV. tOSU got spanked by Purdue. Just lije the Iowa lost last year, that should completely eliminate them.

Regardless of what tOSU does, Oklahoma should be in. Murray vs the Bama defense? Must see TV. tOSU got spanked by Purdue. Just lije the Iowa lost last year, that should completely eliminate them.
I agree. OU lost 1 game in its rivalry game with a good UT because they missed a FG. Avenged that loss today with a victory that made it very clear they are the better team. Don't know how you can leave them out.

8 team playoff.
This is what I'd like to see eventually, but no more than that. How about even 6, with the power 5's and an at large? It'll still come back to the same I guess, somebody like UCF will bitch they aren't there.:D

Simple question:

Is UGA one of the four best trans in the country?
images

Just check eros guide for various cities and take your pick. Athens & Atlanta may have some quality options, but you may not end up putting it in your top 4 trans once you've investigated.

Campaign to get Georgia in seems to be well and truly underway.

I thought Bama getting the benefit of the doubt as a non-conference champion twice (2007 v LSU and last year) was bad enough but if they now commonly seem to think it’s cool to sneak SEC teams in through the back door because of the SEC echo chamber effect we may really either need a set of firm rules for the current setup or an eight team playoff with a firm set of rules. It seems like some teams get in based purely because of their reputation now. If we let this continue we’ll soon have 3 SEC teams in. Both division champs plus the West runner-up BeCaUsE tHeY PlAYeD BaMa tOuGH.

Last edited:
Simple question:

Is UGA one of the four best trans in the country?
Absolutely. That said, you gotta win when it matters. ND won. Oklahoma won. Georgia lost when it mattered. I know what the charter says, but you can't get in the playoff with 2 losses when other teams did the job and you pissed it down your leg.

538 predicts ND most likely to be left out....

That does make sense. Unreasonable to claim conference affiliation matters for one team (UCF) but doesn’t matter for another ((ND).
Of course little reasonable about the process or likely outcome.

That does make sense. Unreasonable to claim conference affiliation matters for one team (UCF) but doesn’t matter for another ((ND).
Of course little reasonable about the process or likely outcome.
I think ND played the highest rated schedule among all the teams they're talking about for the playoff.

No FCS opponents.

Only 2 G5 opponents (Ball State & Navy). 2 B1G opponents (Michigan & Northwestern). 2 Pac-12 opponents (USC & Stanford). 1 SEC opponent (Vanderbilt). 5 ACC opponents (Wake, VA Tech, Pitt, FSU, Cuse).

Going undefeated with that slate of games has to be rewarded.

This would be such a great year for an 8-team playoff with the P5 champs and 3 wildcards.

1 Alabama vs 8 Washington (Huskies may have 3 losses at 10-3, but they lost those games by a combined 10 points)
2 Clemson vs 7 UCF
3 Notre Dame vs 6 UGA
4 Oklahoma vs 5 Ohio State

Is there a single game there that anyone wouldn't watch with a lot more interest than any of the non-playoff bowl games we'll have this year?

I think ND played the highest rated schedule among all the teams they're talking about for the playoff.

No FCS opponents.

Only 2 G5 opponents (Ball State & Navy). 2 B1G opponents (Michigan & Northwestern). 2 Pac-12 opponents (USC & Stanford). 1 SEC opponent (Vanderbilt). 5 ACC opponents (Wake, VA Tech, Pitt, FSU, Cuse).

This would be such a great year for an 8-team playoff with the P5 champs and 3 wildcards.

1 Alabama vs 8 Washington (Huskies may have 3 losses at 10-3, but they lost those games by a combined 10 points)
2 Clemson vs 7 UCF
3 Notre Dame vs 6 UGA

Is there a single game there that anyone wouldn't watch with a lot more interest than any of the non-playoff bowl games we'll have this year?
That would suck, nik! Four premier matchups in a single elimination tournament to decide the National Champion? I’d much rather experience the pageantry and tradition of the New Years bowl games where teams can play for the right to call themselves “Rose/Orange/Fiesta/Sugar Bowl Champs”! Yay!

No FCS opponents.

2 Clemson vs 7 UCF
3 Notre Dame vs 6 UGA

I've been on board the 8 team playoff idea since the 4 team layout was announced. Makes so much sense to me. I've always been a fan of the underdog and I want to root for the PAC-12 representative (one in the same this year). I'm not interested in this year's foursome.

I can’t believe so many people are pushing Georgia over Oklahoma. Oklahoma just their conference and avenged their only loss of the season. Is Georgia probably the better team? Yes but losses have to matter at some point.

That would suck, nik! Four premier matchups in a single elimination tournament to decide the National Champion? I’d much rather experience the pageantry and tradition of the New Years bowl games where teams can play for the right to call themselves “Rose/Orange/Fiesta/Sugar Bowl Champs”! Yay!
even better yet -- a system where being champion of your conference still carried more significance than how the team performs in a single game against a school with different academic standards, budgets, recruiting territories, player transfer rules, etc...

I see where Nik is going, but given that non-playoff bowl games are generally treated as scrimmages preparing for the following year, his question doesn't really get at the meat of the matter.

I can’t believe so many people are pushing Georgia over Oklahoma. Oklahoma just their conference and avenged their only loss of the season. Is Georgia probably the better team? Yes but losses have to matter at some point.
What you do on the field has to matter. Otherwise, just name the national champion before the season starts. Then we can make the season about trying to win your conference or at least get a bowl game vacation reward for a successful season.

8 team playoff
5 Power 5, 1 G5, 2 wild card.
Quarterfinals and Semifinals hosted by higher seed.
Still have same amount of bowls as current setup. The bowls wouldn’t host playoffs.

8 team playoff
5 Power 5, 1 G5, 2 wild card.
Quarterfinals and Semifinals hosted by higher seed.
Still have same amount of bowls as current setup. The bowls wouldn’t host playoffs.
G5 shouldn’t get an auto bid. If that’s the way it works out, great, but no auto bid for them. Part of the deal with expansion is the hurdles needed to be cleared with sponsorship $$. No chance the big sponsors would allow their bowl games (Rose/Orange/Peach/Fiesta/Sugar/Cotton) not to be the premier matchups.

Just make a rotating schedule for the 4 quarterfinal and 2 semifinal games each year for each one of those sponsors.

G5 shouldn’t get an auto bid. If that’s the way it works out, great, but no auto bid for them. Part of the deal with expansion is the hurdles needed to be cleared with sponsorship $$. No chance the big sponsors would allow their bowl games (Rose/Orange/Peach/Fiesta/Sugar/Cotton) not to be the premier matchups.

Just make a rotating schedule for the 4 quarterfinal and 2 semifinal games each year for each one of those sponsors.
Fair enough with omitting G5. But I hate neutral sites for the semis and quarters. It’s not necessary. Put them on campus.

I think the quarter-final round would work best if on the campus of the higher seed. They'd just have to release more tickets to visitors than a standard home game. Attendance matters and I would also like to reward teams for their regular season body of work by giving them an advantage over their underdog opponents.

I think the quarter-final round would work best if on the campus of the higher seed. They'd just have to release more tickets to visitors than a standard home game. Attendance matters and I would also like to reward teams for their regular season body of work by giving them an advantage over their underdog opponents.
I am on board with that, I just don’t think it’s realistic with the bowl sponsors.

I think the other conferences should have to change their championship games to just be #1 vs #2 like the Big 12. That would help the "P5 champ auto bid could reward a bad team in a bad division" argument.
Play at #1 team's site. That would reduce the "Regular season games may cause rematches", because home field advantage could still be at stake.

Georgia at Bama
Syracuse at Clemson
Texas at Oklahoma
Michigan at Ohio State
Washington St @ Washington

5 slots. 1 additional at large
ND/Georgia/UCF

Bama Clemson first round bye:
ND vs Washington --> Clemson
Ohio State vs. OU --> Bama

6 team playoff

5 P5 conference champs
1 at large

1st round is played week after conference championship games between 6/3 and 5/4 seeds at home of higher seed.

Seeding is based on following order:
1. Number of conference wins
2. If #1 is a tie, Number of P5 wins
3. If #2 is a tie, Strength of schedule

Back