What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFP Selection Freakout Thread

UF wasn't an average SEC team and Auburn is better than UF.

Alabama also beat #1, same team that had won 29 in a row and back to back titles.
Two things-One, Alabama's win over UGA is an indictment of UGA's schedule. It was terrible. Georgia's OOC included 2 G5s and an FCS opponent. They weren't exactly punished for that. If Washington played that kind of OOC, they'd be in the Fiesta Bowl and not the playoff.

Two, I'm using Florida and Auburn because their bodies of work are similar enough to where you can compare them. They have two close losses to top 10 teams each. The records are similar. You're ignoring it because it hurts the argument you likely heard Finebaum use.

Last edited:
I need a refill

Comments Popcorn GIF by HyperX

Yep. Alabama is one of the ratings juggernauts. Committee would have loved to put OSU or UGA in over UW, but Fox probably said it wanted to get some exposure for one of its new B1G properties, so all good as long as the selection was fair and balanced between them and ESPN. ESPN would rather promote its SEC assets than its ACC assets.
Yep, given realignment, the power brokers gave us two sec and two big 10 teams.

Two things-One, Alabama's win over UGA is an indictment of UGA's schedule. It was terrible. Georgia's OOC included 2 G5s and an FCS opponent. They weren't exactly punished for that. If Washington played that kind of OOC, they'd be in the Fiesta Bowl and not the playoff.

Two, I'm using Florida and Auburn because their bodies of work are similar enough to where you can compare them. They have two close losses to top 10 teams each. The records are similar. You're ignoring it because it hurts the argument you likely heard Finebaum use.
No I'm just using the analytics here - I don't listen to anyone in the mainstream media they're all idiots.

Bama is better than FSU without Travis. It’s that simple. Committee got it right.

Who believes FSU without Travis is better than Bama right now? That’s the decision point.
First, it shouldn't matter. But, let's say it does, how do you know that? I don't necessarily think they are. That's certainly the narrative in the media, but they haven't lost without him either.

I did. You are entrenched in the status quo and use the final clause that was inserted to protect the SEC.

By your argument there is no reason to play the season. Just cherry pick who is the best four teams from the SEC and there is your playoff.
Exactly. Why even play the games?
The Committee said injuries matter in selecting the best 4 right now. Point 4.
GTFO with point 4. This is criminal.
That’s a most deserving argument. Is FSU without Travis better than Bama toady?
You keep saying the same thing over and over. The point is, your beloved "point 4" is horse****. You know how Alabama could have gotten in legitimately? Beating Texas AT HOME. Because THEY LOST they needed help to stay in legitimately like several other P5 conference champions over the past couple decades. They didn't get that help. So **** them, that's how the cookie crumbles.

FSU beat everyone in their path in a P5 conference and a couple good OOC teams. Injuries happen to every team, do we have to evaluate every injury and cherry pick which injury matters more? That's craziness. I don't care if every guy on FSU's starting 22 was out with chlamydia, they still deserve to be in that playoff.

Last edited:
the fact that the sec and big basically locked everyone else out of the top 4 (given where texasss and uw are headed) is not a good sign.
I think some of this goes back to the Big 12 being dominated by the two teams who aren't there next year. Whoever steps up in that league starting next year will be fine.

First, it shouldn't matter. But, let's say it does, how do you know that? I don't necessarily think they are. That's certainly the narrative in the media, but they haven't lost without him either.

Exactly. Why even play the games?

GTFO with point 4. This is criminal.

You keep saying the same thing over and over. The point is, your beloved "point 4" is horse****. You know how Alabama could have gotten in legitimately? Beating Texas AT HOME. Because THEY LOST they needed help to stay in legitimately like several other P5 champions over the past couple decades. They didn't get that help. So **** them, that's how the cookie crumbles.

FSU beat everyone in their path in a P5 conference and a couple good OOC teams. Injuries happen to every team, do we have to evaluate every injury and cherry pick which loss matters more? That's craziness. I don't care if every guy on FSU's starting 22 was out with chlamydia, they still deserve to be in that playoff.
If their whole 2-deep simultaneously gets chlamydia, subpoenas and antibiotics should be all that they get.

No I'm just using the analytics here - I don't listen to anyone in the mainstream media they're all idiots.
I don't think you're being honest-You'd be doing that if Washington were in FSU's shoes-even though they have almost as many top 25 wins as Alabama and Georgia combined.

Does anyone think the needle moves at all if L'ville hadn't shat the bed against Kentucky last week?

They would have come in at #9 in the CFP rankings as a 1-loss team.

I don't think you're being honest-You'd be doing that if Washington were in FSU's shoes-even though they have almost as many top 25 wins as Alabama and Georgia combined.
You're free to think that if you want.

If Alabama wins it all what's the response?

I know that's where you are.

For you, why is Washington not in the group with Bama/Texas/FSU?

Is a QB injury essentially the same as 1 loss?
UDub was in the Michigan, Texas grouping.

Bama and FSU were comparable. Both won their conference, Bama has better SOS with one loss, FSU had a key injury.

The Committee went right down the protocol elements for comparable teams at the margins.

You're free to think that if you want.

If Alabama wins it all what's the response?
This year had a group of 8 very, very good, teams with varying minor flaws that made it through 12 games with no more than 1-loss.

If you ran back an 8 team playoff of those 8 teams with random seeding 10,000 times all 8 of the teams would probably come out on top at least 5% of the time.

Even if you have Bama as a 3 to 1 dog in the semifinal and final, there's still a 1/16 chance they win the title.

For a lover of metrics, and truly understanding how statistics and predictions work you would understand that Bama winning the title in one running of a 4 team playoff is not sufficient evidence to reject the hypothesis that they're the weakest team in the field.

Wrong.

SECs best non conference win was Kansas State. They were a total joke this year.
Again. Conference rankings are not used. The Committee has been crystal clear on this point. They use individual SoS, not conference strength.

UDub was in the Michigan, Texas grouping.

Bama and FSU were comparable. Both won their conference, Bama has better SOS with one loss, FSU had a key injury.

The Committee went right down the protocol elements for comparable teams at the margins.
What is your criteria for separating UW, Texas, Mich from Bama, FSU?

Let's be honest ESPN got what they wanted, an SEC team in the playoffs. They gave Saban a forum to make a pitch for Alabama. I'm sure the playoff committee got a full load of why the SEC should be always granted a place in the payoffs. The SEC has had the benefit of the doubt since 2007 when LSU was selected over USC to play Ohio State in the Championship game. I have little doubt the USC would have beaten that LSU team. All today says is that being in the SEC is actually more important then winning games. Truthfully, I'm a bit surprised the didn't dump Texas for Georgia.

This year had a group of 8 very, very good, teams with varying minor flaws that made it through 12 games with no more than 1-loss.

If you ran back an 8 team playoff of those 8 teams with random seeding 10,000 times all 8 of the teams would probably come out on top at least 5% of the time.

Even if you have Bama as a 3 to 1 dog in the semifinal and final, there's still a 1/16 chance they win the title.

For a lover of metrics, and truly understanding how statistics and predictions work you would understand that Bama winning the title in one running of a 4 team playoff is not sufficient evidence to reject the hypothesis that they're the weakest team in the field.
My hypothesis is that FSU without JT is not a top 4 team & that Alabama is deserving of a spot

Back