What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU-Cal Pregame/Game Thread

DUI last year that he was suspended for the bowl game over

I guess he had another traffic violation of some kind. Other than that, who knows but nothing that he was arrested for.
Cool. Only one reason I ask is because folks keep throwing around his “violation of team rules” like it’s common knowledge and things he shouldn’t actually be suspended for. Since it sounds like no one really know what they are, saying it’s dumb that he’s suspended is, well, dumb.

Hello Buffs nation. Here we are again with our two horrific football teams battling to see who is the second worst team in the Pac 12 (I’m assuming Cal can beat AZ, but then again who knows). Been an unusually depressing year in Cal land given we thought our super-senior laden team had a real shot as a dark horse in our “not awesome” conference. And then of course we found out that while the conference is not awesome we are very, very not awesome.

What the Bears have shown through six games is that they can complete with anyone and find inexplicable and heart-rending ways to then lose. I think we had confidence that we were an ok football team with some bad luck before the WSU game. Then that happened. Yikes. We then took Oregon down to the final play and managed to just barely lose to the alleged cream of the conference,. So what does that tell us? It tells us that locating a football team in a city covered in a haze of marijuana smoke is not a great way to win championships. i think we really need to look into crack as an alternative.

Anyway looking forward to welcoming my second favorite team in the Pac -12 back to Berkeley. Good luck to the Buffs on Saturday.

Hello Buffs nation. Here we are again with our two horrific football teams battling to see who is the second worst team in the Pac 12 (I’m assuming Cal can beat AZ, but then again who knows). Been an unusually depressing year in Cal land given we thought our super-senior laden team had a real shot as a dark horse in our “not awesome” conference. And then of course we found out that while the conference is not awesome we are very, very not awesome.

What the Bears have shown through six games is that they can complete with anyone and find inexplicable and heart-rending ways to then lose. I think we had confidence that we were an ok football team with some bad luck before the WSU game. Then that happened. Yikes. We then took Oregon down to the final play and managed to just barely lose to the alleged cream of the conference,. So what does that tell us? It tells us that locating a football team in a city covered in a haze of marijuana smoke is not a great way to win championships. i think we really need to look into crack as an alternative.

Anyway looking forward to welcoming my second favorite team in the Pac -12 back to Berkeley. Good luck to the Buffs on Saturday.

The only thing sadder than a coastal hippie who roots for a ****ty football team is a mountain hippie just praying his team can beat the coastal hippie's. 😥

Wait.

You went to a college without there being a father figure to guide you, and provide discipline, and help you figure out how to be a man?

I'll never understand why having such structure, mentorship, guidance, etc is so, so ****ing important for football players, but somehow isn't something that is important for any other undergraduate student.

When your son or daughter looks at a school, do you look for professors to help guide him in his personal life and responsibilities, or do you look for professors who know their subject and have a track record of teaching their students how to excel in that discipline?

I firmly believe that the thinking that football coaches have to provide this service to students has racist roots. You may not, and may be just spouting things you've heard that other people say are important.

But why?

Why do football players need someone to administer discipline and be a "father figure" on campus, but all the other students on campus don't? What makes them different? Why do they need something that the white kid in the business school doesn't?
Half of my dorm floor could have used an parent figure. Half stopped going to classes by Halloween. Most of those would fail out.

Have you missed us?

Cal is the best one and five team in the nation.

Don't worry. You got this one.

Thanks for the greeting, I think most of us are just hoping our team does not embarrass itself.

RA a father figure? Are you serious?
No. Not a father figure. I never said that. But somebody who provides some guidance on how to navigate the college landscape and succed at that level without dropping out of school is what the RA is supposed to be doing.

Wait.

You went to a college without there being a father figure to guide you, and provide discipline, and help you figure out how to be a man?

I'll never understand why having such structure, mentorship, guidance, etc is so, so ****ing important for football players, but somehow isn't something that is important for any other undergraduate student.

When your son or daughter looks at a school, do you look for professors to help guide him in his personal life and responsibilities, or do you look for professors who know their subject and have a track record of teaching their students how to excel in that discipline?

I firmly believe that the thinking that football coaches have to provide this service to students has racist roots. You may not, and may be just spouting things you've heard that other people say are important.

But why?

Why do football players need someone to administer discipline and be a "father figure" on campus, but all the other students on campus don't? What makes them different? Why do they need something that the white kid in the business school doesn't?
Yah I think most of this comes when you dont have good football news to sell as a coach. I dont think this is really part of Saban's pitch these days. If you cant pitch to parents that youre going to get their kid into the league and win national championships then you revert to this crap.

I could be completely wrong but your last paragraph is a bit of a stretch to me. I think it says more about the person giving the pitch than the person getting it. Likely why it doesnt work very well. If it makes you feel better I was a white kid in the business school on the football team who didnt look at any of my coaches as father figures (Cabral could have been I guess but he wasnt my position coach).

DUI last year that he was suspended for the bowl game over

I guess he had another traffic violation of some kind. Other than that, who knows but nothing that he was arrested for.
Yeah if we're talking non-DUI related traffic violations.......La'Vontae needs to be on the field.

A 20/21 year old should be a parent figure?
It’s incredible to me how easily an innocuous statement in this board can be ridiculously twisted into meaning something completely different.
An RA is supposed to help manage the transition to college life. Not a parent figure. Nowhere did I ever say they should be a parent figure, yet somehow that’s how people interpret it? Amazing. I don’t know whether to be impressed by the absurdity of it all or amazed at how easily you (and others) were able to take such an incredible leap of logic.

It’s incredible to me how easily an innocuous statement in this board can be ridiculously twisted into meaning something completely different.
An RA is supposed to help manage the transition to college life. Not a parent figure. Nowhere did I ever say they should be a parent figure, yet somehow that’s how people interpret it? Amazing. I don’t know whether to be impressed by the absurdity of it all or amazed at how easily you (and others) were able to take such an incredible leap of logic.
So you are saying parents should turn their kids over to RA's at a younger age, right?

Yah I think most of this comes when you dont have good football news to sell as a coach. I dont think this is really part of Saban's pitch these days. If you cant pitch to parents that youre going to get their kid into the league and win national championships then you revert to this crap.

I could be completely wrong but your last paragraph is a bit of a stretch to me. I think it says more about the person giving the pitch than the person getting it. Likely why it doesnt work very well. If it makes you feel better I was a white kid in the business school on the football team who didnt look at any of my coaches as father figures (Cabral could have been I guess but he wasnt my position coach).
I agree about it saying more about the person giving the pitch than receiving it. My criticism is towards those who think it's a good pitch (whether they are giving it or, in this case, think it should be given).

If someone doesn't think this is an important feature that should be present for every single straight from high school undergraduate in the entire school, why do they think it's so important for football and basketball players?

Half of my dorm floor could have used an parent figure. Half stopped going to classes by Halloween. Most of those would fail out.

In all seriousness, that’s what the RA should be there for.

JR said half his dorm floor could have used a parent figure, to which you responded by saying that's what the RA should be there for. I don't see anything being "ridiculously twisted into meaning something completely different". Just take your lap and move on

JR said half his dorm floor could have used a parent figure, to which you responded by saying that's what the RA should be there for. I don't see anything being "ridiculously twisted into meaning something completely different". Just take your lap and move on
So, even after going through the process of explaining the exact meaning, you’re still having trouble?
Take a lap, indeed.

Back