What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Believe the word was he interviewed (and impressed) for the Utah State opening a couple years back. Ultimately USU wanted someone with previous head coaching experience and went with Blake Anderson.
I like Grimes a lot, but he should convert himself into a G5 or lower HC, so he can be judged on that. He has so many boxes checked, but lack of any HC experience gives me caution, even though he feels like a great option, but below some others right now.

I like Grimes a lot, but he should convert himself into a G5 or lower HC, so he can be judged on that. He has so many boxes checked, but lack of any HC experience gives me caution, even though he feels like a great option, but below some others right now.
Plenty of examples of coordinators becoming P5 HCs without G5 HC experience. Of course, you have to have leaders in the athletic department who excel at understanding how to interview and vet a candidate to determine if he’s the right person for the job.

Plenty of examples of coordinators becoming P5 HCs without G5 HC experience. Of course, you have to have leaders in the athletic department who excel at understanding how to interview and vet a candidate to determine if he’s the right person for the job.
Understood, but I guess I have Embree/Hackett syndrome, where they are learning on the job, and I do not care how much experience and brilliance a guy has, the ability to learn the nuances of leadership and running a program are a big deal. Someone should put a chart together with all the factors that we think RG will be using to hire someone, and maybe we can compare all these candidates in a fair way.

Understood, but I guess I have Embree/Hackett syndrome, where they are learning on the job, and I do not care how much experience and brilliance a guy has, the ability to learn the nuances of leadership and running a program are a big deal. Someone should put a chart together with all the factors that we think RG will be using to hire someone, and maybe we can compare all these candidates in a fair way.
Wouldn’t a search committee be a good idea for this reason? Somehow it seems they got focused on “stability” with the last hire. I would hope we’re looking at more than just one thing and have a whole list of criteria?

That's why I want someone who has recently been successful as a HC, has significant P5 experience, and who brings a program identify that fits CU culture.

Embree was not qualified in any way shape or form, so just throw him out as an outlier in this discussion. Hackett is 5 games in and obviously having issues with “his” side of the ball, but the defense and ST look to be the best they’ve been in a while. Regardless, he could still be a failure, as you said.

However, Dan Hawkins and Mike MacIntyre had previous G5 HC experience. Karl Dorrell had previous P5 HC experience. Why don’t those guys make you hesitant about hiring a small school HC?

Again, it’s about the right guy for the job. There really is no formula.

Wouldn’t a search committee be a good idea for this reason? Somehow it seems they got focused on “stability” with the last hire. I would hope we’re looking at more than just one thing and have a whole list of criteria?
I have been trying to remember anything related to the KD hire and what and how he filled any parts of a qualification chart or energizing the fan base.

Experience, Record, Recruiting, Coaching Tree, Coaching Connections, Public Speaking, Donor Relations, NIL Understanding, Familiarity with our Recruiting Areas (Cali, Texas, Arizona, Colorado), Ability to push the AD to modernize and improve the infrastructure, GOOD with Academic Leaders, The "It" factor at all times, A System of speciality (preferably offense, but maybe defense), Dedication to good Special Teams, etc...

Go back and read my other post on him.

I said if both sides wanted TC in Boulder, it would have happened already.
I looked through this thread, and I found a bunch of places where you said you think he's "a really good coach."

I'm really asking- Why?

My hesitancy with him has to do with the fact that he has 0 MWC titles and one top 25 finish. Color me skeptical that if he can't do those things at the MWC level that he'd be able to do them at the P5 level. I read other threads where you said he'd be your third candidate behind Herman and Grimes. You also said he'd be the only guy you'd hire from the MWC- TBF I'd rather have Blake Anderson, who has a MWC title in just one try.

So, again, why would he be your third choice? Why would he be your choice over Blake Anderson?

Feels like if it was going to be Herman or Mendenhall that we would have heard something by now. None of the official rumors seem to mention either guy. kind of pisses me off, tbh.
I think that Bronco M is a much more likely candidate than Herman. Barring a huge change in admissions/transfer policy getting Herman is not realistic, as he'll have much better choices than CU if he wants to get back in now. Wish that wasn't the case and I'd like to be wrong.

I like Bronco but honestly he likely has better options too.

It's only October 10th. There's no massive rush on the part of good coaches who are looking at this job market.

Fits what culture exactly? The culture now that Dr. Phil and RG have built? Genuinely curious.
CU is not a place that can hitch its sail to donor culture or a plan that would be a football factory with a university loosely attached to it.

That's why I want someone who has recently been successful as a HC, has significant P5 experience, and who brings a program identify that fits CU culture.
What’s CU’s culture?
Not to me. I'm very risk averse with this hire and there is a great pool of candidates this year who fit that profile.
Again, though, Hawkins and MacIntyre were risk averse coaches. If you’re talking about guys who have P5 HC experience, then I can get on board, but I don’t see how Cigneti (for example) is any more risk averse than Grimes.

Bieniemy would definitely be. I don't think Calhoun would suck......there are guys we've talked about (Herman, Bronco, and Grimes to name 3) that I like a lot more.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big Calhoun fan as a Service Academy HC. Or as an Ivy League or Patriot League FCS HC. The guy is tough as nails but has coached in a very different situation than he'd find himself in at CU and I doubt he'd be very successful in the transition.

Last edited:
Didn’t we do a San Jose State thing?
Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

Grimes is exactly the type of coach that Colorado needs.

1) Elite run game philosophy. Want to run the GD rock? Need a guy who has gotten it done in multiple places. We will again have somebody who can lock down the actual good players that Colorado produces: OL, TE, and RB.

2) TEXAS. I feel like too many people are sleeping on having Texas connects from the top down as a big f!ucking deal. We need a guy who can not only get a staff to connect with Texas coaches to get back on board with CU, we need a head guy who can seal the deal with Texans.

Herman, Grimes as top two choices by a lot. I love Walters as an outside shot guy because I feel like he’d potentially give us a hometown discount, get the defense right, and connect with an innovative OC who can have full control.

One thing to keep in mind is that Auburn boosters are talking about Grimes as the #1 candidate, from what I've seen online. Makes sense, he was a coach there when they won the natty. So Grimes may be headed to the Gulf Coast, regardless of whether or not CU even considers him

I think Nebraska makes him a “Mel Tucker” kind of offer.
The Panthers owe him $40m over the next 4 years, so assuming he has a similar offset in his Panthers contract that most coaches do, CU could pay him their going rate of $4m and he would still get $6m from Carolina. If that's the case, his salary over the next 4 years is likely to be the same whether he's coaching in Boulder, Lincoln, Madison, Tempe or Auburn.

I think the only things CU fans can hope for are that he loves reclamation projects, wants a low pressure gig for a while, and loves the flatirons. Otherwise, there just isn't much CU can offer that would

Of course we can't. I'm just making fun of Howell that Matt Rhule wouldn't be a top choice here.

Also, Rhule is owed around $40m from the Panthers over the next 4 years. Maybe he takes a year off? He'll have plenty of offers.
I'd assume that if Rhule wants to work, he'll negotiate a lump sum buyout like Chryst did so he gets more than half that money owed immediately and is free to sign a new contract without offset complications.

Matt Rhule to Wisconsin is my bet. However, I think Nebraska will throw everything that they have at him.

Back