What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

So in other words no changes to transfer and admissions are going to be made so everyone with a pulse has pulled their name out of the hat.
Probably.

If Sanford gets the job, RG will be, at least to me, like the fighter paid to take a dive. A person like that is willing to let themselves be remembered as a loser so they can get paid. Don't lay down Rick.

Better yet, Pres. Saliman, fire RG, fire LC, give Dr. Phil a margarita and send him to retirement and get some people in here who know what they are doing.

Just one man's opinion.

Sanford will be 1-6 at CU when the season ends - you don’t give an interim who goes 1-6 the full time job. This is nonsense, and I don’t believe it’s a realistic possibility.
You do realize we are talking about the folks who hired Dorrell and fully guaranteed the deal to make him the highest paid CU coach in history, right? IMO, there is no level of bad management decision out of their reach.

Last edited:

Shut the **** up Brian

66ad243a-ab41-4592-bf2b-22551072298c_text.gif

Only because it's coming off the Dorrell hire/firing, but Sanford is a better candidate than Dorrell if a program had to choose.

My god I hate what this program has done
True, after Dorell, CU is in a cannot miss position, and cannot take a risk on Sanford. But yes, Sanford, and practically anybody above HS level would have been better than Dorrell, all other things equal.

The only thing Sanford does better than Dorrell is have more energy.
Nah. He also is putting forth the effort to make the players know that it's about them and he cares about them. He's been promoting CU traditions. He has personally reached out to students to get them involved. He's been much more available and open with the media.

He is doing a lot of things right and much better than KD ever could.

No one should confuse that with someone being qualified or capable of leading the CU program back to Top 25 status.

The only thing Sanford does better than Dorrell is have more energy.
And he recruits better than Dorrell, I think
Not even close. Guy will have a 9-22 record as a HC at the end of the season.

Sanford is beyond terrible.
And Dorrell's relevant HC record in modern CFB was 8-15 and almost assuredly would have been 9-21 or maybe 8-22 had he coached out the season.

Why is this even a discussion? They are both horrible, but Dorrell is/was the complete package of suck, whereas Sanford at least brings energy, enthusiasm, relatability, and some recruiting ability.

Have we moved beyond the Herman and Mendenhall talk already? Those two are still options 1 and 1A for me, with everybody else a distant #4.

Nah. He also is putting forth the effort to make the players know that it's about them and he cares about them. He's been promoting CU traditions. He has personally reached out to students to get them involved. He's been much more available and open with the media.

No one should confuse that with someone being qualified or capable of leading the CU program back to Top 25 status.
Sanford is garbage. He got fired from a non P5 HC job for being bad. Offenses he’s directed regressed while he was calling the plays INCLUDING AT COLORADO. The offense got better after he stopped calling the plays. He is a disaster.

Have we moved beyond the Herman and Mendenhall talk already? Those two are still options 1 and 1A for me, with everybody else a distant #4.
Everyone else? Is it that you don't think we can land Rhule or O'Brien - or do you have Herman & Bronco that much above them?

Everyone else? Is it that you don't think we can land Rhule or O'Brien - or do you have Herman & Bronco that much above them?
I don’t think Rhule and O’Brien are realistic options. I think both Herman and Mendenhall are realistic if we decide we actually want to field a competitive football program and give them the resources and support they need.

Mostly the talk about hiring Walters or some other assistant scares the Hell out of me. We need a guy with some cachet.

And he recruits better than Dorrell, I think

And Dorrell's relevant HC record in modern CFB was 8-15 and almost assuredly would have been 9-21 or maybe 8-22 had he coached out the season.

Why is this even a discussion? They are both horrible, but Dorrell is/was the complete package of suck, whereas Sanford at least brings energy, enthusiasm, relatability, and some recruiting ability.
Dorrell was the lead recruiter for Jordyn Tyson. I don’t think Sanford has any “ins” with any players near that level.

You do realize we are talking about the folks who hired Dorrell and fully guaranteed the deal to make him the highest paid CU coach in history, right? IMO, there is no level of bad management decision out of their reach.
My position stands, regardless of CU’s past incompetence, this is just not realistic. You’d have to believe the powers that be were deliberately trying to torpedo the entire Athletic Department for this to be true and if that were the goal, keeping Dorrell would have been a way cheaper means to the same end.

Bryan Harsin would not be a good hire for Colorado. In my opinion CU needs a coach that can recruit on solid feet. Harsin doesn't have that. Beside having to explain to each recruit why he flopped so hard at Aubrun, he doesn't have a ton to point to for player development. Unless we can get Harsin on a major discount and invest in coordinators I just don't think he's the guy who can bring this program from the brink. If we were in a better position as a program maybe but I really do think he might be a good coach who would take on the CU job at a very wrong time.

Sanford is in an everything to gain, nothing to lose honeymoon period. Nobody expects him to do anything with this team and he’s going to get almost no criticism no matter how bad the team performs the rest of the year. It’s really easy to be out glad handing fans and being available to the media when no one is criticizing you and you’re absolved from every loss the rest of the season. How’s recruiting going under Interim Sanford? No one knows or cares.

Being an interim coach is a cake walk compared to being the actual HC.

There’s a lot to like about the guy, his energy and engagement you mention along with his connection to the Petersen and Harbaugh coaching trees. I suspect he’d also be able to put together a pretty decent staff (guys like Junior Adams at Oregon and Maurice Crum at Ole Miss) who worked with him before. BUT, the most important part of the job-fielding a good team-has just been too awful to overlook.

My position stands, regardless of CU’s past incompetence, this is just not realistic. You’d have to believe the powers that be were deliberately trying to torpedo the entire Athletic Department for this to be true and if that were the goal, keeping Dorrell would have been a way cheaper means to the same end.
Do you think they were trying to destroy CU FB when they hired Dorell? No, they were just that bad.

I think it unlikely, but I also do not think it impossible.

Back