What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs. UCLA 10/28/23 Game Thread

to be a cfb playoff team consistently you have to be really good upfront. what lannng is building at oregon is an example of how to break into the club.

i feel certain we will bring in enough guys next year to be really ****ing good. it will take more than that to put shadeur in a position to win the heisman and for us to be a legit playoff team.

this is year 1.

i think we are going to be a lot better than the narrative next year (just like we have been this year) but it will take some amazing recruiting to get good enough upfront to be in the mix next year.
Appreciate the optimism and I'm gonna hold out hope. The OL portal was fairly bleak this year and USC got the Wyoming guy. Do you think we have the NIL to seal the deal with the game changers? I'm just hesitant to think that we'll be able to lock down enough guys to make a difference

also we covered.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF
Who gives a ****. Financial fandom is garbage.

Horrendous. Too much of Lewis offense revolves around the OL doing their job. This OL is ass
I just do not like the Lewis offense at all
It might be nice for FCS or G5, but not P5 or the NFL
Things move quickly in offensive design, and Lewis is not it
Use of Motion has become incredibly important, i.e. KC Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, SF 49ers
Run-Pass balance is huge as always
The ability to pass block is not just based on 1 on 1 matchups every single time, it is more creative and nuanced and we are neither
I like Sean Lewis the guy a lot just based on his videos and interviews, but not sure he is up for this level of play calling
The better the OL, the better things are to call and pair that with a brilliant QB and things are like a video game.
Every team we play has watched the film and is so far ahead of us, because we do not have a system that evolves and grows with play sequencing.
I actually took the bye week and wanted to calm down, think longer term, give everyone credit for what they have done so far, so I have accepted that it will be a longer trajectory, unless Prime works his magic and demands and adapts to what is needed in every facet.
Tough night
Go Buffs

They weren't even putting a body on anyone half the time. This has to be a coaching issue
It's not like they weren't trying. They were facing guys who were simply stronger and much quicker. They just got beat over and over again on talent.

It is comparable to trying to cover a pair of 4.4 WRs with CBs who run 4.7s. They can give it everything they have and still get beat over and over again.

You can make coaching changes, have those CBs play off but then the WRs just catch the ball in the cushion and run by them, press and they get run by. Double and you leave the middle of the field wide open.

At some point you have to have the talent or opponents just abuse you. Our OL doesn't have the talent and is getting abused.

So I guess you just know much more than Coach Prime ever has. They weren't being successful running the ball either, they have watched the film, they have a pretty good idea of what works or doesn't work against UCLA, and you want them to install a whole new offense just for UCLA.

This isn't a finished product, not even close. If we are still seeing the same problems in a couple years then you have reason to complain. For right now you are just venting anger and making no sense.
Your argument solely relies on gatekeeping

Re: the game plan; I saw multiple times that SS had a free rusher at the snap because a guard slid the wrong way. That’s a short run at the QB. On the whole our OL looks like they are moving to an assumed assignment, but so uncertain as to what they’re doing that they apply almost no force to the front….zero physicality. @#1 pick is completely on point in saying that ypc doesn’t matter because we cannot get it when it matters. We don’t have good talent on the OL, but we have WAAAAAY better talent then what shows up in games.

IMO, Lewis is an unknown at this point, because our offense is completely QB dependent, and you can’t have success with this if your QB doesn’t have time to even throw a GD bubble screen. That last statement on it’s own is mind blowing to me in the incompetence it reflects on the OL

lewis isn't the problem. you have to have the guys to execute.

the stanford loss is on the coaches. this one is all about being outmanned. the fact we had a chance with as outmatched as we were upfront is a testament to good coaching.

to be a cfb playoff team consistently you have to be really good upfront. what lannng is building at oregon is an example of how to break into the club.

i feel certain we will bring in enough guys next year to be really ****ing good. it will take more than that to put shadeur in a position to win the heisman and for us to be a legit playoff team.

this is year 1.

i think we are going to be a lot better than the narrative next year (just like we have been this year) but it will take some amazing recruiting to get good enough upfront to be in the mix next year.

It feels like we're being way too optimistic about Prime's first couple of years. It takes longer than that to build the kind of line play we'll need to get to that level.

It feels like we're being way too optimistic about Prime's first couple of years. It takes longer than that to build the kind of line play we'll need to get to that level.
yes. i think it is an open question whether the staff can legitimately build a playoff contender for year 2. it would be epic and amazing... sorta like year 1 has been.

yes. i think it is an open question whether the staff can legitimately build a playoff contender for year 2. it would be epic and amazing... sorta like year 1 has been.

Epic and amazing aren't words I would use to describe this season so far. We have some nice wins albeit against average teams at best, and that's fine, most definitely a step up from where we were.

dude. we can't run the ball. we can't pass pro. we played one of the best defensive fronts in the country. i wouldn't have bothered with the run game either after the initial failures.

that ****ing loss that should never have happened to stanford is probably going to bite us in the ass with rabid teeth.
Facing the best defensive front and you drop back 50+ times in mostly a one score game
Unclear why he only gets garbage time carries…
It’s unclear why Flea is the RB coach
Huh? When we needed runs, we didn't even attempt them.

Look, every team has runs stopped at LOS or even behind it. You got to have some designed run play to make team at least respect your intention. Not having any run after CP said over and over and over that we need to run the ball, is a big FU to CP, all the players and all the fans.
Correct. They get stuffed on one run, abandon it, and then tell the media it wasn’t working so why would you keep doing it. 11 total rushing attempts tonight, btw… 4-5 of which game in garbage time or end of half run out the clock.
We did and got nowhere. In the 2nd half we didn't till UCLA took off the heat.
11 total team rushing attempts, almost half of which were at the end of the half to run it the clock or end of game down by 20. It’s offensive malpractice no matter how bad your OL is

It's not like they weren't trying. They were facing guys who were simply stronger and much quicker. They just got beat over and over again on talent.

It is comparable to trying to cover a pair of 4.4 WRs with CBs who run 4.7s. They can give it everything they have and still get beat over and over again.

You can make coaching changes, have those CBs play off but then the WRs just catch the ball in the cushion and run by them, press and they get run by. Double and you leave the middle of the field wide open.

At some point you have to have the talent or opponents just abuse you. Our OL doesn't have the talent and is getting abused.
This is not correct. Too often tonight it was apparent the OLine got to LOS and had no idea what their assignment was based on the call and the front they were seeing. Flat out going the wrong way or being frightfully slow to the POA is something that happens in HS, not P5 football. This all comes down to coaching.

our WR group is good to excellent. we have a legit elite qb. our RB group is good to excellent. we don't have the horses up front on the ol or dl. we are a mixed bag at safety and corner. we don't have a guy at lb that can anchor the defense. it would be great to have an elite TE in the mix, but we do not have that.

this isn't rocket science... we have to upgrade the lines and it will hide a lot of our issues. if we can manage to find guys who can dominate upfront even if we do not have enough of them, we will have a puncher's chance to be really really ****ing good as early as next year.

we are probably lucky for next year that we are b12 and not p12. there are a lot of really good team in the dead pac. with chokelahoma and texasssss leaving, utah is probably the team to beat in the new bi12. i do not think that is an impossible task. they are good and consistent because they play smart tough physical ball. we need to be able to do the same.

This is not correct. Too often tonight it was apparent the OLine got to LOS and had no idea what their assignment was based on the call and the front they were seeing. Flat out going the wrong way or being frightfully slow to the POA is something that happens in HS, not P5 football. This all comes down to coaching.
this is a fair take but i would note that we have had so much shuffling on the ol and it is such a tough position to plug and play that i am not sure that the greatest OL coach who ever lived could have made this materially better.

we need bodies and they need reps together. our 2 deep is ****ing dreadful.

Has anyone wondered how much autonomy Sean Lewis actually has? We’re assuming that he has a lot. Not insinuating anything, just asking.
I assume Prime has brought in coordinators who are supposed to be the HCs of their sides of the ball. CP is a CEO HC like Saban, but it’s unclear how involved he’s actually getting in the gameplanning and in-game strategy

Back