What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*****official game thread***** cu @ ku

Nebrasky up 11 with 3 to play. were down 6 at the half. a W for the bugeaters puts them very much in the bubble talk....and UT much diminished into the CEC in a week.

Last edited:
Boyle needs some 6-9/6-10 guys with some skills. No inside game on offense and nobody to stop their bigs on defense.

Time is running away from us 6 mins left down 17, we need a 10-0 run or something real fast

Boyle needs some 6-9/6-10 guys with some skills. No inside game on offense and nobody to stop their bigs on defense.

this is why i don't understand lately the almost uncritical praise on AB of the job BZ did here. we finished in the cellar twice, and this roster is totally undermanned at 3/5 positions on the floor every night. Dufault is a nice bench guy on most teams, even Levi is a role shooter on a good team....but these guys are going to be 3-4 year starters. we are small and have a short bench (in numbers). bad combo. and it's killed us for 4 years....no fouls to give, can't guard inside without fouling. catch 22.

OK, Burks and Higgins. what else?

of course, Tunks is a hard luck case and i think he'll be a decent D-1 player....but he is unproven right now.

Yeah, I think that is pretty obvious. Well, next year we'll have Mills (7-0, 215) and Harris-Tunks (6-11, 250). So, all we have to do is put 40 lbs on Mills and another 10 or 15 on Tunks, right?

Way to go, Dufault. I agree with the announcers, bull**** call though.l

NU-UT tied. 1 minute.

NU must be gagging mighty..

according to yahoo play by play, UT scored 5 points in the 13 seconds from 1:20 to 1:07....no 3's. 3/4 FT's and a layup.

Yeah, I think that is pretty obvious. Well, next year we'll have Mills (7-0, 215) and Harris-Tunks (6-11, 250). So, all we have to do is put 40 lbs on Mills and another 10 or 15 on Tunks, right?

They have to have some skill to go with that size...

I have no idea what the score is, or if the game is over, but I'll say it: I'm rooting for nebraska in this one.

whos number 1?
Ohio State is number one. But which is worse a loss to Kansas State or a loss to Nebraska? I would say Kansas annihilating us will get them the number 2 or 3 spot. While Texas will come in one or two spots after them. Not to mention #4 Pitt also lost today. The Top 5 should see quite a bit of movement.

Last edited:
this is why i don't understand lately the almost uncritical praise on AB of the job BZ did here. we finished in the cellar twice, and this roster is totally undermanned at 3/5 positions on the floor every night. Dufault is a nice bench guy on most teams, even Levi is a role shooter on a good team....but these guys are going to be 3-4 year starters. we are small and have a short bench (in numbers). bad combo. and it's killed us for 4 years....no fouls to give, can't guard inside without fouling. catch 22.

OK, Burks and Higgins. what else?

of course, Tunks is a hard luck case and i think he'll be a decent D-1 player....but he is unproven right now.

I agree with this so much....Bzdelik was an absolutely horrible hire. He was a system guy with a system that would not work in the Big 12.

I agree with this so much....Bzdelik was an absolutely horrible hire. He was a system guy with a system that would not work in the Big 12.

NBA experience or not, top 150 recruits don't want to come play in an offense where Richard Roby takes 12 shots a game as a senior. we went down that road once with Tom Friggin Miller. Tom was a decent guy who tried hard, knew X and O, but was running an O that barely acknowledged the shot clock or the newfangled 3 point line when Norm Stewart, Larry Brown, Johnny Orr, and Billy Tubbs are averaging 90 points a game.

What I give Bzdelik credit for is fixing a lot of things that were wrong with the basketball culture of CU basketball. Our APR was in the crapper and it has cost us scholarship penalties. Looks like this is fixed when the new numbers come out in the Spring. I also give him credit for being the driving force behind getting competitive facilities for our hoops program. We didn't have a S&C coach. We didn't have a practice facility. Do you guys realize that our team lifts weights in a small room upstairs in the Keg that wouldn't measure up to most high school weight rooms in the state?

He certainly wasn't the long-term answer and there are things I'm very critical of. He wasn't an eager recruiter. He had a system that wasn't right for a Big 6 conference program. He didn't do a good job of building relationships with his players. He didn't win enough.

But I think we're better off for Bzdelik having been our coach.

What I give Bzdelik credit for is fixing a lot of things that were wrong with the basketball culture of CU basketball. Our APR was in the crapper and it has cost us scholarship penalties. Looks like this is fixed when the new numbers come out in the Spring. I also give him credit for being the driving force behind getting competitive facilities for our hoops program. We didn't have a S&C coach. We didn't have a practice facility. Do you guys realize that our team lifts weights in a small room upstairs in the Keg that wouldn't measure up to most high school weight rooms in the state?

He certainly wasn't the long-term answer and there are things I'm very critical of. He wasn't an eager recruiter. He had a system that wasn't right for a Big 6 conference program. He didn't do a good job of building relationships with his players. He didn't win enough.

I guess we will disagree. We could of done better than Bzdelik. Some of the things you mention were peripheral to BZ. The APR penalty was based on the 2005-06 through 2008-09 academic year and the major reason given by the AD was attrition...That is at Bzdeliks feet. I think you are going to see in the next few years how bad he really was.

without knowing specifics w.r.t. basketball, i would agree that the academic improvement (if there is one) was more system-wide in the AD than particular to basketball. as a grad student, i dealt with the Dal Ward and it's academic arm, the Herbst Center, a couple times and I came away feeling it was pretty much "on the edge" of academic dishonesty both times. and this is above and beyond the documented Honor Code issues with at least one member of the football team and members of two different women's sports submitting identical/cut and pasted work (how does that happen?). this was in 01-03.

i know Dan Hawkins likes to credit himself...and maybe that's true, but i think the "improvement" may be more than simply one coach (or two) getting "involved". i think there was a mandate from whoever (the AD, BFA, who knows?)....because it was some pretty renegade ****e i saw swept under the proverbial rug. blatant....and i've heard stories that were much, much worse from the late 90's and roughly the same time period.

i think Jeff left us about where he found us in the big picture....which to me, for an "eco-system" as fragile as CU hoops....is dangerous. i thought running off Van Burck, Kowal, etc., bottoming the program out with two very good players in Hall and Roby, and essentially holding the program hostage....smacked of ego. Jeff kind of thought he was better than CU basketball, he was an NBA guy after all. Kowal and VB, i think both those guys could have contributed. Kowal had a decent D-1 career....VB was good enough to make a Cornell roster that made the Sweet 16. Silas, Bay...who knows? i give JB the benefit of the doubt, there.

this roster we have is a structural liability as this season has proven. if Relphorde was a bust....and Marcus is baffling still......we'd really be screwed. there's no bench, no size, not a great shooting team (minus the FT line)....

i'm glad Bz is gone.

Last edited:

Maybe. I think Bzdelik is a good coach within his system. But from the day we hired him my one major concern was that his system doesn't use any big men, which is a much bigger issue in a conference like the Big XII where teams can actually recruit quality big men than it is in the Mountain West. Looking at where our roster was left when he left, that issue looks bigger than ever...

You could insert Dan Hawkins for Bzdelik and it still rings true. Still bad hires.

Just checking in with you guys - great comments above on the history of CU BB over the last decade or so. It's refreshing to read smart, articulate comments on what we've done right and wrong. (Mostly wrong. We still can't get it right.)

I'm not good enough with 'strategery' to know if Boyle is a top tier coach, but I'm encouraged by his humility to start with. Bzdelik was a pompous bag of snot, in my view. And Boyle seems to be recruiting good players, although as has been pointed out before, he won't be considered a really good coach unless he gets big men banging it inside. Patton did that on occasion, but we all know how hard that was. The legacy at CU seems to be that we're often respectable, sometimes even a good team, but we're always, always missing one piece or more.

The good news - I do believe Boyle 'gets that.' The bad news - I don't know if he can 'recruit that.' This move to the P12 could mark a fresh start for the guy. He ought to set his sights on the BEST big men west of Colorado and never let up on them. They don't come around often, but we have a chance to set a baseline in this new conference. Based on his early signees, I'm encouraged.

Enough of my soap-box. Today's game pissed me off. Did we NOT know KU will rain 3's on us if we aren't quick on switches and sag too much inside? Brady Morningstar should be Bill Self's ball cleaner - he's nothing special, except when we give him 10 minutes to set up for a shot.

I'm so tired of being understaffed against GayEwe. Hopefully the next time we play these pricks from the plains, it's in the tourney and we're the latest team to expose 'em.

Back