What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread: Utah at Colorado

I did a very long post a couple of years ago on this, Tad is very good in close games.
last year didn't help, but this year he's probably around 50/50. We really really really miss having a guard that can get to the hoop.

The games should not come down to the wire to begin with, in many of those cases. Whatever offensive set Tad has where your All-American C is playing above the 3 point line to swing the ball on the perimeter for 20-25 seconds of the shot clock... Yeah, lose that set of plays.

Does anyone else think Wes needs to try a pump fake? He can't make a basket because he's got a guy blocking his shot. So ironic that he's a great shot blocker himself.

Does anyone else think Wes needs to try a pump fake? He can't make a basket because he's got a guy blocking his shot. So ironic that he's a great shot blocker himself.

Yes. And King needs to stop the double clutch when he goes to the hoop. If we could just get those two to share the pump fakes, it'd be a lot better.

The games should not come down to the wire to begin with, in many of those cases. Whatever offensive set Tad has where your All-American C is playing above the 3 point line to swing the ball on the perimeter for 20-25 seconds of the shot clock... Yeah, lose that set of plays.

This. I don't mind Josh getting the ball at the FT line, cause he is very efficient with that shot and is learning to drive from there...but so often he is above the 3 pt line and is not a threat, just a cog for passing the ball 10 ft away to the other wing.

I did a very long post a couple of years ago on this, Tad is very good in close games.

Could we get some sort of update on this? I also wonder if close games are more often created by CU blowing a 10 point lead and then holding on for dear life, ala Stanford, or if it is a back and forth affair that we win?

I don't think reality fits your perception. Tad wins a lot more close games than he loses.

Yeah. Actually more than our fair share. The analytics guys have trouble accounting for the close-game success of CU because it's been an outlier that goes into their "luck" category -- whatever that means.

Could we get some sort of update on this? I also wonder if close games are more often created by CU blowing a 10 point lead and then holding on for dear life, ala Stanford, or if it is a back and forth affair that we win?

actually no, not without doing a ton of work. stat sheet going away lost the ability to get a bunch of data.

so i was bored and did some work.

Tad is 37-23 in games decided by 6 or less. I also included OT games that were decided by more than 6 points.
His Colorado overall record is 120–70 (.632). (source is wiki, but it does include this year).

His "close game" record percentage is .616.

So basically... he's just as good a close game coach as he is an overall head coach.

And I would bet that's after a slump in the last 2 seasons. You get a breakdown of pre and post spencer? Or hell, just the last 2 years?

Back