What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Mark Johnson Appreciation Thread...

Add some analysis by Gary and it might be worth it.

"she's using a cover 2 defense. The tight end motion forces man to man, but I like the call as he goes deep"

Speaking of Musberger.....last night I was watching the oklaho - kans basketball game. (Great game, wow!)
Musberger and Vitale were on the mics. They kept having so much idle banter conversation during play or just as whistles blew that half the time they were oblivious to what just happened on the court. So then they would guess as to what they missed.
At times it seemed like two guys on barstools talking about whatever.

Speaking of Musberger.....last night I was watching the oklaho - kans basketball game. (Great game, wow!)
Musberger and Vitale were on the mics. They kept having so much idle banter conversation during play or just as whistles blew that half the time they were oblivious to what just happened on the court. So then they would guess as to what they missed.
At times it seemed like two guys on barstools talking about whatever.

When it comes to basketball announcers, in my opinion at least, you'd better either entertain me or inform me. I love Bill Walton because while he doesn't talk about the game, he at least is entertaining. I love Doris Burke because I can learn something every time she calls a game. The jackasses who do neither well are the ones I can't stand - and sadly we're getting more and more of those now a days.

*insert Scott Hastings rant here*

When it comes to basketball announcers, in my opinion at least, you'd better either entertain me or inform me. I love Bill Walton because while he doesn't talk about the game, he at least is entertaining. I love Doris Burke because I can learn something every time she calls a game. The jackasses who do neither well are the ones I can't stand - and sadly we're getting more and more of those now a days.

*insert Scott Hastings rant here*

For color, Walton and Fran are my favorites (along with Bobby Knight when they can convince him to work a game). I used to love Al McGuire -- best ever color guy for college hoops, imho. Vitale's passion and schtick also has its place, but it's starting to have the same feeling that Madden had for football in his final years as a broadcaster.

Joe Buck is just an Android created by Fox to replace Pat Summerall's monotonous voice from Madden 98.

The very worst is when they start talking about their golf games. Makes me want to throw something harmful at them.

The only people who should ever be talking about their golf games on TV are pro golfers. . . . .

Bill Walton is the best color guy out there.

"Have you ever been to a volcano while it was erupting? "

I'm pretty sure he's stoned most of the time.

Harry Carry set the standard (or John Camponera doing Carry). No one comes close since.

Add some analysis by Gary and it might be worth it.

"she's using a cover 2 defense. The tight end motion forces man to man, but I like the call as he goes deep"
That would be Gary Barnett doing the color. Oops, my bad. That was a GB impersonation. Good job!

My son gave me crap for dissing Musberger for his penchant to over hype certain players he picks up on. What he does is calls them by their full name at every mention. Like, "Great play by Teddy Ginn, Jr." Or, "And Tyrod Taylor throws a BEAUTIFUL pass!" So, last night it was "Buddy Hield" does this or that. It's never "Ginn" or "Taylor" or "Hield." It's "Teddy Ginn, Jr." or "Tyrod Taylor" or "Buddy Hield" this and that. Gets on my nerves.

My son gave me crap for dissing Musberger for his penchant to over hype certain players he picks up on. What he does is calls them by their full name at every mention. Like, "Great play by Teddy Ginn, Jr." Or, "And Tyrod Taylor throws a BEAUTIFUL pass!" So, last night it was "Buddy Hield" does this or that. It's never "Ginn" or "Taylor" or "Hield." It's "Teddy Ginn, Jr." or "Tyrod Taylor" or "Buddy Hield" this and that. Gets on my nerves.

Dumbledore Balthasar Tannenbaum with the EPIC post!

I don't really pay attention to many radio guys, so the only comparison I have is Gary Miller doing CSU games and Dave Logan doing Broncos games.

Miller seems like a nice guy and I used to like his radio show, but he is awful to listen to, and then I hate listening to Broncos games on the radio. Logan always seems late on the action (you can tell by the crowd noise if a play was successful before he even starts describing it) and the dude fumbles through sentences all the time.

So compared to the local talent, I think MJ is pretty damn good.

Logan speaks in the future tense while describing live action. "This is gonna be a catch and it's gonna be a Denver first down." Can't listen to him.

Back