What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Michigan State/Mel Tucker Hate Thread

I think we'll know the answer to that in 12 days-but doesn't it have to be Mel unless we get absolutely pummeled by UCLA and Stanford?
Dantonio left a mess. We soon will see what Mel left - including contributions of frosh.

It will be fun to cheer against Michigan state each week. I enjoy seeing ****braska lose and this will be fun too. Rutgers? He lost the guaranteed W on the schedule.

what do we do when NU and MSU play each other??? I don’t want either of them to win. :unsure:
root for a tie...what's the rule now ? play to 5 or 6 overtimes ? if still tied than it's a tie ?

Dantonio left a mess. We soon will see what Mel left - including contributions of frosh.
I'm wondering what is considered a mess?

From the recruiting classes that comprise the majority of players seeing time right now...

2016 (RS Senior) - 17th nationally, 3rd in the BIG
2017 (Senior/RS Junior) - 36th nationally, 6th in the BIG
2018 (Junior/RS Sophomore) - 31st nationally, 6th in the BIG
2019 (Sophomore/RS Freshman) - 33rd nationally, 7th in the BIG

Dantonio left Tucker plenty of talent, at least on paper, to compete in the BIG.

I'm wondering what is considered a mess?

From the recruiting classes that comprise the majority of players seeing time right now...

2016 (RS Senior) - 17th nationally, 3rd in the BIG
2017 (Senior/RS Junior) - 36th nationally, 6th in the BIG
2018 (Junior/RS Sophomore) - 31st nationally, 6th in the BIG
2019 (Sophomore/RS Freshman) - 33rd nationally, 7th in the BIG

Dantonio left Tucker plenty of talent, at least on paper, to compete in the BIG.
Blackwell civil suit
Bad coaching
Listless approach by Dantonio
Coaching musical chairs (silly; olayers regressed)

Fickell and others passed. There was a reason.

Maybe Mel gets them going.

Blackwell civil suit
Bad coaching
Listless approach by Dantonio
Coaching musical chairs (silly; olayers regressed)

Fickell and others passed. There was a reason.

Maybe Mel gets them going.
I know they have some perception issues, but has it really affected the program over the last few seasons from a recruiting standpoint? The results would say no.

Bad coaching/musical chairs? I'm not close to the program for specifics on the AC side, but Dantonio didn't just become a bad coach overnight.

Don't know what "listless approach" by Dantonio means. Clarify?

Completely agree about other coaches passing. Obviously a reason, but MSU isn't a premium job (outside of the money apparently) and Fickell is going to be in line for one of those at some point soon. Throw in the timing of their "search" and I can understand why he and others said no.

My point is that there shouldn't really be any excuses for a coach coming in and getting blown out by Rutgers in game one.

Dantonio grew very stubborn in his latter years. His talent underperformed. He got pressure. He dug in his heels. The program drifted south.

His solution: shuffled staff into jobs where they had never coached as a way to say FU to his admin.

Players suffered. Program continued to slide. Players went to portal (8 in 19)

Maybe they have talent Mel can reinvigorate.

I know they have some perception issues, but has it really affected the program over the last few seasons from a recruiting standpoint? The results would say no.

Bad coaching/musical chairs? I'm not close to the program for specifics on the AC side, but Dantonio didn't just become a bad coach overnight.

Completely agree about other coaches passing. Obviously a reason, but MSU isn't a premium job (outside of the money apparently) and Fickell is going to be in line for one of those at some point soon. Throw in the timing of their "search" and I can understand why he and others said no.

My point is that there shouldn't really be any excuses for a coach coming in and getting blown out by Rutgers in game one.

Reading over their boards (which I highly recommend to brighten your day) they certainly think the cupboard is pretty bare there but the narrative when people were passing up the job wasn't that it was a train wreck. The narrative (at least how I remember it) was timing combined with potential sanctions coming.

Even if the talent isn't quite what the rankings say, and you take into account that the timing sucked for him, absolutely no excuse for losing to Rutgers.

I think you might be trying to argue that Mel Tucker is the D2 Danny of Michigan State football

Reading over their boards (which I highly recommend to brighten your day) they certainly think the cupboard is pretty bare there but the narrative when people were passing up the job wasn't that it was a train wreck. The narrative (at least how I remember it) was timing combined with potential sanctions coming.

Even if the talent isn't quite what the rankings say, and you take into account that the timing sucked for him, absolutely no excuse for losing to Rutgers.
As much as I despise Midnight Mel, I wouldn't draw too much from the opener where they had 6 turnovers (and 2 more on downs). I am pretty sure that will prove out. to be a statistical anomaly. You can't win with 6 turnovers, even to Rutgers.

As much as I despise Midnight Mel, I wouldn't draw too much from the opener where they had 6 turnovers (and 2 more on downs). I am pretty sure that will prove out. to be a statistical anomaly. You can't win with 6 turnovers, even to Rutgers.
It was actually 7 if you can believe it but I agree that isn't going to happen again. If they recover the ball 1/2 the time they put it on the ground (6) they probably win the game. I also think it is fair to say some of the lack of ball security is on coaching. The real verdict won't be out on him until a couple recruiting classes go by. We all know he wasn't a good game day coach, he was a recruiter and that is what he was hired by Michigan State to do.

It was actually 7 if you can believe it but I agree that isn't going to happen again. If they recover the ball 1/2 the time they put it on the ground (6) they probably win the game. I also think it is fair to say some of the lack of ball security is on coaching. The real verdict won't be out on him until a couple recruiting classes go by. We all know he wasn't a good game day coach, he was a recruiter and that is what he was hired by Michigan State to do.

Great post-He'll flop there because he hasn't surrounded himself with strong recruiters. Had he stayed, I'd wonder the same thing-a lot of the guys he brought with him to CU (Tillman and Pupunu come to mind here) didn't exactly light the world on fire in that department. I think KD dumped both of them and Melvin hired Tillman in some sort of support role. Not sure if I have that right. Kap can, but Johnson, Els, and Peagler (talk about failing up-he has one year of college position coach experience at a D2 10 years ago and Midnight I'm sure overpaid him to coach running backs) don't strike me as ACs who can close in the living room.

It will be fun to cheer against Michigan state each week. I enjoy seeing ****braska lose and this will be fun too. Rutgers? He lost the guaranteed W on the schedule.

what do we do when NU and MSU play each other??? I don’t want either of them to win. :unsure:
Scoreless tie after 10 OTs??? Officials make BOTH teams forfeit

Great post-He'll flop there because he hasn't surrounded himself with strong recruiters. Had he stayed, I'd wonder the same thing-a lot of the guys he brought with him to CU (Tillman and Pupunu come to mind here) didn't exactly light the world on fire in that department. I think KD dumped both of them and Melvin hired Tillman in some sort of support role. Not sure if I have that right. Kap can, but Johnson, Els, and Peagler (talk about failing up-he has one year of college position coach experience at a D2 10 years ago and Midnight I'm sure overpaid him to coach running backs) don't strike me as ACs who can close in the living room.
We already know that he isn't what you want in a game day coach. His plan is to beat people based on talent and that requires that he out recruit the teams he needs to beat.

Does anyone in their right mind think he is going to out recruit Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, even Minnesota and Iowa.

If Michigan State is willing to give him the support he needs, make the compromises he requires, and still be a middle of the road B1G team then they have their man. Somehow I don't think that is going to make their fans happy for very long. Especially when he is likely to drop 2-3 games a year due to getting outcoached in addition to the games he loses on talent.

We already know that he isn't what you want in a game day coach. His plan is to beat people based on talent and that requires that he out recruit the teams he needs to beat.

Does anyone in their right mind think he is going to out recruit Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, even Minnesota and Iowa.

If Michigan State is willing to give him the support he needs, make the compromises he requires, and still be a middle of the road B1G team then they have their man. Somehow I don't think that is going to make their fans happy for very long. Especially when he is likely to drop 2-3 games a year due to getting outcoached in addition to the games he loses on talent.

One of the many highlights of the MSU 247 board is the 3 pages under "Coaching Gaffes today"

Scoreless tie after 10 OTs??? Officials make BOTH teams forfeit
Fight at opening kick off with both coaches being knocked unconscious by the respective teams punters. Game played to a scoreless tie with every series ending in a fumble for loss.

**** Nebraska. That’s the only game Mel can win.

Outstanding coaching job today by Mel Tucker. He’s a winner, having been with some of the best programs in the country.

Too bad Rick George ****ed-up by over promising Tucker and failed to follow thru, very quickly souring their relationship. Tucker lost all respect for RG, which is why he would not even listen to a counteroffer.

Then, to compound the disastrous error with Tucker, RG hires one of the most least inspiring head coaches in college football and wildly overpays him.

CU needs a new AD as soon as possible.

Outstanding coaching job today by Mel Tucker. He’s a winner, having been with some of the best programs in the country.

Too bad Rick George ****ed-up by over promising Tucker and failed to follow thru, very quickly souring their relationship. Tucker lost all respect for RG, which is why he would not even listen to a counteroffer.

Then, to compound the disastrous error with Tucker, RG hires one of the most least inspiring head coaches in college football and wildly overpays him.

CU needs a new AD as soon as possible.
Lucky win by Tucker today, now he will go 1-8 or whatever!
America is defined by short cuts and ****ty personalities winning
Let's reward character instead of bluster

Back