What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Conference USA signed a five-year media rights deal with ESPN and CBS beginning next year, as first reported by Sports Business Journal on Wednesday. The biggest change for the growing conference is that the entirety of its October football games will instead be played at night midweek, mostly on Tuesday and Wednesday, with a few games on Thursday and Friday, too.

I'm down with October CFB games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

si link

I was just thinking about the last rounds of realignment and expansion. It has benefited schools that moved up to P5 from G5, but other than that it's hard to find the real benefit to the conferences that expanded and the schools that moved.

Is the SEC a better conference with aTm and Mizzou as members than it was without them? Have those schools raised their results to maintain or improve their football or MBB results/ championship potential?

How about the B1G and Nebraska & Maryland?

The Pac and Colorado?

The ACC by wrecking the Big East and adding Miami, BC, VAT, Cuse and Pitt (plus forcing other dominoes of Rutgers, UConn, WVU, Cincy, Louisville and USF, which taken together could have formed a new conference)?

I'm trying to figure out how any of this has been an improvement for anyone involved.

I was just thinking about the last rounds of realignment and expansion. It has benefited schools that moved up to P5 from G5, but other than that it's hard to find the real benefit to the conferences that expanded and the schools that moved.

Is the SEC a better conference with aTm and Mizzou as members than it was without them? Have those schools raised their results to maintain or improve their football or MBB results/ championship potential?

The Pac and Colorado?

The ACC by wrecking the Big East and adding Miami, BC, VAT, Cuse and Pitt (plus forcing other dominoes of Rutgers, UConn, WVU, Cincy, Louisville and USF, which taken together could have formed a new conference)?

I'm trying to figure out how any of this has been an improvement for anyone involved.
I would say A&M has raised their brand by being in the SEC, but obviously success hasn’t come with it

The Pac and Colorado?

I would say A&M has raised their brand by being in the SEC, but obviously success hasn’t come with it
It seems that it is more aimed at hurting competing conferences than improving the conference they move to.

Nebraska and Maryland didn't improve the B1G but their moving hurt the B12 and the ACC. Same with Colorado to the PAC.

Mizzou and aTm again hurt the B12 more than help the SEC although aTm is a big hitter in terms of media market. The SEC adding Texas and Oklahoma means that the Texas media market now belongs to the SEC as those two are the heavy hitters in that state along with aTm.

The B1G is counting on USC and UCLA giving them the California market for media value as well as SC being a national brand. This also effectively moves the PAC, as they did to the B12 to second tier status with a corresponding huge difference in media value.

I've posted before on this but I think that eventually (maybe after the end of the next round of TV contracts) we are going to see a total re-organization of college football with traditional conferences broken up and a significant number of programs forced to accept being at a lower level instead of sharing in the money generated by the big names. Some current members of the SEC, B1G, ACC etc. are no longer going to be welcomed at the adult table.

The Pac and Colorado?

Theyre not? Each time the conference expanded a bigger TV deal accompanied it. Theyre laughing all the way to the bank.

Theyre not? Each time the conference expanded a bigger TV deal accompanied it. Theyre laughing all the way to the bank.
Where has that money gone? We're not talking about entrepreneurs with private businesses here. Are professors getting paid more? Have students seen tuition costs decrease? All I see is coach salaries go up along with an arms race that has even hurt the books at some of those conference members (massive debt on facilities & dead money to coaches along with decreasing attendance at most places hurting revenue and local businesses as they've lost traditional rivalries).

Last edited:
It's 2 separate questions here:
Has expansion helped the schools who joined and their respecitve new conference financially? Absolutely
Has expansion helped the schools who joined and their respective new conference as far as being better on the gridiron/court? For the most part, no

Where has that money gone? We're not talking about entrepreneurs with private businesses here. Are professors getting paid more? Have students seen tuition costs decrease? All I see is coach salaries go up along with an arms race that has even hurt the books at some of those conference members (massive debt on facilities & dead money to coaches along with decreasing attendance at most places hurting revenue and local businesses as they've lost traditional rivalries).
It's 2 separate questions here:
Has expansion helped the schools who joined and their respecitve new conference financially? Absolutely
Has expansion helped the schools who joined and their respective new conference as far as being better on the gridiron/court? For the most part, no
Plus in the long run I find it very hard to see how this is good for college sports as a whole. A few schools are making a lot more money but as nik points out that money isn't going to make the schools better. Meanwhile other schools are spending massive amounts of money they don't have trying to keep up.

I never had a problem with the idea that players needed to get more for the sacrifices they make playing but I think that NIL along with out of control coaches salaries will be very harmful in the long run.

College football (and basketball) have always been a business, no illusions, but now any pretense of student athletes and being anything other that professional development programs are out the window.

Eventually much of what has made college sports great is going to be gone. No guarantee that eventually the money doesn't go away as well.

Virginia Tech slightly elevated our football profile after the move to ACC. VT significantly elevated our basketball profile after the move.

The football success was completely squandered in the subsequent years after winning four ACC FB championships.

The Pac and Colorado?

Great points!

I would say the only P5 school that has benefited from a move is A&M.

It’s almost like the 1980’s had it exactly right

We would still have access to Texas. That’s entirely up to the head coach. This system would be fine. Just have to do it.

The Pac and Colorado?

A top 10 Missouri just beat a top 10 Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl…and NO ONE gives a ****.

A top 10 Missouri just beat a top 10 Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl…and NO ONE gives a ****.
Ohio State Day GIF by Ohio State Athletics

I can’t think of any prominent players opting out of the 4 team playoff so I’m not sure why they would opt out of the 12 team. Feels like pure fan speculation.

Definitely weird. And possibly counterproductive.

NFL teams would take notice of a dude skipping a game like that "for business reasons".

It's one thing to skip a meaningless exhibition game, it's another to skip a playoff game.

Back