What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

What happens to Clemson and Florida State?
most likely? they end up in the SEC

hopefully? the ACC can bolster themselves w/ ND as a full member and another school that moves the football credibility needle, keeping those two in place.

This is like saying that when Bezos and I are both drinking in a bar that our average wealth is billions.

I guarantee ****braska outspends CU on football by a wide margin.

With that extra B1G money CU would be getting, that gap can be closed if not eliminated for football alone.

I really don’t want to be part of the B1G unless it’s part of a combined super conference with the PAC.

If I squint really hard, I can envision a 32 team super conference that includes all current B1G and PAC teams plus OSU, KU, ISU, Tech, TCU and Baylor. I just threw up in my mouth - but for ****s sake, they just won the hoops national championship. Cheating assholes or not, that can’t be ignored. Divide it into four 8-team sub-conferences and run a playoff every year, with the championship held at the Rose Bowl. Winner advances to play the winner of the SEC/ACC super conference championship.
This is the suggestion I made yesterday....but I had KSU in there, with one of the 6 being removed if the new super conference happened to land ND, which would make the most sense given their historical rivalries with teams from both conferences.

Also, **** Bailer

This narrative that CU has no commitment to athletics rings true when compared to B1G and SEC schools. It doesn’t hold much water when compared to just about anybody else.
problem is, they are the only relevant parties after this...

This narrative that CU has no commitment to athletics rings true when compared to B1G and SEC schools. It doesn’t hold much water when compared to just about anybody else.

Is that why we have a bargain basement assistant staff, regularly recruit in the 60s and have finished bottom or next to bottom of our division in a regular college season all but once in the last decade?

problem is, they are the only relevant parties after this...
Perhaps. I believe that having relevant college football on the West Coast is in the overall best interest of the sport, and content distributors understand that.
We need to realize that CU is never going to be one of the top elite programs . It just isn’t going to happen. However, we can situate ourselves in a spot where we can be reasonably competitive and have a shot at a conference title once every 8-10 years. I’m fine with that, as I don’t want CU to go full Monty with pouring money into its athletic programs.

are you talking AD commitment (measured in dollars) or fan commitment (measured in attendance)?

maybe you have a totally different metric in mind, but based on those, I'm calling BS.

I count 14 public schools not in the SEC or B1G spending more money on athletics than CU (source). I strongly suspect looking at fan attendance in football and men's basketball puts the number higher than 14.

Is that why we have a bargain basement assistant staff, regularly recruit in the 60s and have finished bottom or next to bottom of our division in a regular college season all but once in the last decade?
We have a bargain basement staff and recruit in the 60’s because our former head coach left us in a very untenable situation. Our AD struck out on his home run hire, panicked, and hired the first guy he could reasonably sell as a replacement. I don’t for a second believe RG has no commitment to fielding solid programs across the board. The admin, while not 100% supportive, mostly let’s him do what he needs to do.

We have a bargain basement staff and recruit in the 60’s because our former head coach left us in a very untenable situation. Our AD struck out on his home run hire, panicked, and hired the first guy he could reasonably sell as a replacement. I don’t for a second believe RG has no commitment to fielding solid programs across the board. The admin, while not 100% supportive, mostly let’s him do what he needs to do.

I think the Dorrell hire is largely unforgivable.

I think the Dorrell hire is largely unforgivable.
I don’t totally disagree, but I certainly don’t think it’s the kind of thing that should get RG fired (and that’s what “unforgivable” means to me in this context).
I’m willing to cut RG some slack on this given the situation he was in. Most here really liked the Tucker hire at the time. That’s the kind of aggressiveness that I believe RG possesses. We are kind of stuck for a while, though.

I don’t totally disagree, but I certainly don’t think it’s the kind of thing that should get RG fired (and that’s what “unforgivable” means to me in this context).
I’m willing to cut RG some slack on this given the situation he was in. Most here really liked the Tucker hire at the time. That’s the kind of aggressiveness that I believe RG possesses. We are kind of stuck for a while, though.

I don't want him fired, but it's the move that makes me question CU's commitment and ambition.

That is something that would be applied to football. When you look at the whole athletics picture, it shows that CU does have commitment to athletics even if the administration doesn't appear to do so as opposed to football.

Slow down man. In that kind of situation that CU was in, a home run hire was highly unlikely. If RG bombs the next hire, then the heat will be on him.

CFB as we know it is over.
It is sure going to be interesting to see what this looks like in 10 years. I anticipate seeing many high school athletes making substantial income as programs try to woo these kids in their direction.

On the flip side, I have had this thought recently: The whole CTE issue has really hurt participation in youth & HS football, especially in the West. Seeing the amount of money available to young kids that participate in the sport, just might generate a resurgence in participation (especially as it relates to jumbo athletes) in the west.

Don't forget about Fox Sports too.
True, but ESPN has a vested interest in getting OU and UT out as quickly and cheaply as possible given they are going to getting them to join a league that they own lock, stock, and barrel.

Cowherd today apparently sounded like he lobbying for Texas to the P12, stay in the B12, or go independent, all of which would be much better for Fox Sports.

Back