What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

I'm just going to call it now-This is going to play out the exact same way the Pac 16 did with the west coast schools backing out at the last minute and CU going with like Iowa State to the B1G.
I understand the sentiment… but stakes seem considerably higher this time around… Pac didn’t have to take Big 12 package last time around and decided to stand pat… this time around, seems like the writing is on the wall where we are rapidly headed towards super conferences and teaming up with Big Ten seems like best case scenario for both sides… with the more aggressive Pac schools who still see the value of big money college sports trying to leverage their position. The names listed don’t seem all that surprising considering you have CU, relative newcomer with ties to Big Ten footprint (no loyalty to Pac, generally, but would prefer to remain tied to Pac schools I think), and the big money “blue bloods” of the conference who most likely are frustrated with the Pacs recent decline). Arizona seems like the notable missing piece but maybe Big Ten isn’t interested or Arizona prefers to keep historic Pac in place / has some loyalty. Retaining Pac connection while also restoring historic rivalries in superior conference seems like the absolute best case scenario for CU. Coast to coast branding fits CU as well and would seem like natural fit with our alumni base.

Last edited:

Who knows how legitimate this is, but have been seeing USC, UCLA, Oregon, and CU linked to Big Ten with some combination of USC/UCLA and Fox calling the shots... have also seen things about KU... which brings me to the ultimate pipe dream that I think also makes sense given what's been floating around (whether legit or not):

North:
Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Central:
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
****braska
Northwestern

East:
Indiana
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

West:
COLORADO (!!)
Oregon
UCLA
USC
Washington

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS POSSIBLE.

I have negative levels of confidence in Rick George, etc. to make this sort of move happen. If they do it, I’ll be barbecuing my crow.

I understand the sentiment… but stakes seem considerably higher this time around… Pac didn’t have to take Big 12 package last time around and decided to stand pat… this time around, seems like the writing is on the wall where we are headed to super conferences and teaming up with Big Ten best case scenarios for sides… with the more aggressive Pac schools who still see the value of big money college sports trying to leverage their position

1. You're not talking about teaming up. You're talking a group of lions (the B1G) stealing an elephant (USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington/Colorado) from another group of lions (the Pac 12) and forcing that other group of lions to eat a nearby rotting impala carcass (the Big 12's leftovers).
2. The West Coast schools consistently show football is not as important as it is elsewhere. Nobody knows what they're going to do-and the idea that USC pulls something similar to what Texas did 10 years ago (which would probably cause anyone else out there to stay while we go our own) isn't that far-fetched to at least me. 3. The best thing for this institution is to be in the Big 10. The TV money/visibility is better. Its a more stable league. Plus the tradition of the Nebraska rivalry is back-and that's great for both us and NU.
4. Here's what I'm saying-They're not making any sort of move west without being like "Yes, we're going to take Colorado and then make another move" on top of that if the west coast schools flake and stand pat.

Who knows how legitimate this is, but have been seeing USC, UCLA, Oregon, and CU linked to Big Ten with some combination of USC/UCLA and Fox calling the shots... have also seen things about KU... which brings me to the ultimate pipe dream that I think also makes sense given what's been floating around (whether legit or not):

North:
Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Central:
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
****braska
Northwestern

East:
Indiana
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

West:
COLORADO (!!)
Oregon
UCLA
USC
Washington

Channeling my 17 year old daughter soon to be a Buff: "That would be amaze-balls!"

North:
Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Central:
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
****braska
Northwestern

East:
Indiana
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

West:
COLORADO (!!)
Oregon
UCLA
USC
Washington

Texter also mentions in a different one that Colorado is looked upon highly within the Big 10 right now.

While I realize our FB team has been less than stellar for quite a while, CU would be an attractive addition to any conference. We do have a significant history which does carry weight, we're in a prime geographical location with a supporting fan base, and an accredited research university. I could see CU generating quite a bit of interest to the B1G if they are evaluating expansion (which they should be if the SEC monkey business pans out).

Texter also mentions in a different one that Colorado is looked upon highly within the Big 10 right now.
I’m having a hard time believing there is a scenario where Colorado is more attractive to the BIG than Stanford or where any BIG expansion scenarios don’t begin with Notre Dame. I’d love this rumor to be true, but not getting my hopes up.

I’m having a hard time believing there is a scenario where Colorado is more attractive to the BIG than Stanford or where any BIG expansion scenarios don’t begin with Notre Dame. I’d love this rumor to be true, but not getting my hopes up.
He acknowledges that it could be the 4 CA programs + Oregon and UW

Geographically speaking, CU is a far more attractive option. But if they are considering U$C, Oregon, and UCLA, I would agree with you. Stanford would be very attractive.

Geographically speaking, CU is a far more attractive option. But if they are considering U$C, Oregon, and UCLA, I would agree with you. Stanford would be very attractive.
Geography seems to be irrelevant based on the schools being discussed. The only negative with Stanford I can think of is that it probably means taking Cal also and taking the 2nd Bay Area school maybe isn’t all that accretive, whereas Colorado wouldn’t need to be added with a partner. But that’s a thin argument.

While I realize our FB team has been less than stellar for quite a while, CU would be an attractive addition to any conference. We do have a significant history which does carry weight, we're in a prime geographical location with a supporting fan base, and an accredited research university. I could see CU generating quite a bit of interest to the B1G if they are evaluating expansion (which they should be if the SEC monkey business pans out).

How is Colorado a prime geographical location in the context of college football? Colorado is largely irrelevant for recruiting plus us and Utah are the 2 most isolated P5 schools with no school within 500 miles of Boulder.

Between 2014 and 2019 we were 50th in the country in average attendance with us using 86% of Folsom's capacity. That doesn't scream rabid fanbase to me and I think the state's apathy towards CFB in general has been discussed on this forum at length.

Geography seems to be irrelevant based on the schools being discussed. The only negative with Stanford I can think of is that it probably means taking Cal also and taking the 2nd Bay Area school maybe isn’t all that accretive, whereas Colorado wouldn’t need to be added with a partner. But that’s a thin argument.

Academics aside, I think the only thing Cal and Stanford truly have going for them is that they're in California as both fanbases seem largely apathetic.

If I’m the BIG and I want to add 6 teams to get to 20, my wish list would be:
Notre Dame
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Kansas

If I’m going to 24 I’d add:
Cal
Stanford
UVA
WVU

Backup plans:
Colorado
Boston College
Cincy
Mizzou
Iowa St

Academics aside, I think the only thing Cal and Stanford truly have going for them is that they're in California as both fanbases seem largely apathetic.
We’ve talked about whether Cal admin even wants a football program before and while they’ve put together a solid football program, Stanford’s fanbase is garbage. When CU is good, there is a decent following and they will sell tickets.

It’s actually pretty simple why Stanford wouldn’t be a good add, they have a small fan and alumni base and they don’t bring ratings which is what the tv networks are interested in. The Bay Area is one of the worst college sports markets in the country.

Stanford is a premier institution in a premier location (both as a travel destination and employment center), they are located in the VC capital of the universe, they have the 3rd largest endowment in the country, they have a long history in the conference and with the BIG (they played in the first Rose Bowl game), they have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to wealthy alumni and they have a very robust athletic department. I think there’s a lot to like about Stanford from the outside.

If I’m the BIG and I want to add 6 teams to get to 20, my wish list would be:
Notre Dame
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Kansas

If I’m going to 24 I’d add:
Cal
Stanford
UVA
WVU

Backup plans:
Colorado
Boston College
Cincy
Mizzou
Iowa St
I think UNC, Clemson and FSU are more attractive to the B1G than all those backups and most of the first choices you list. Hell, I'd put GT and UVA ahead of those backups.

Stanford is a premier institution in a premier location (both as a travel destination and employment center), they are located in the VC capital of the universe, they are
You know we are talking about college football and not if students can get hired out of college right? The big 10 doesn’t give a **** if traveling to the Bay Area is nice or not. They really don’t care about the local companies.

Back