What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

It’s much better how? The biggest matchup this program had seen at Folsom in years, with a hated rival, on a perfect day, a new, exciting HC and our season ticket holders decided they’d rather make a few bucks and watch the game at home. If that doesn’t speak directly to fan passion (or lack thereof) then I don’t know what does.

Not trying to be a dick, I’m trying to look at reality and understand on what measure is CU a more attractive add to the BIG than Stanford? I think some of you have a rosier view of dear old CU than the rest of the world (understandably).
The BIG Schools presidents (which are making the calls here) have a very favorable outlook of CU.

The BIG Schools presidents (which are making the calls here) have a very favorable outlook of CU.
That’s great if true and I hope you’re right. How do you know it is? And why do they have a vary favorable outlook of CU (again compared to available alternatives)?

Can you imagine how Utah would feel after whipping us the last few years and then they get left and CU joins the B10?

And oh, by the way, nobody is asking the real question.

WWSD? (What would Sacky do?)
Like every team that wasn’t invited to the Pac-10(12)?

That’s great if true and I hope you’re right. How do you know it is? And why do they have a vary favorable outlook of CU (again compared to available alternatives)?
Agree. Why would Big10 have much of any opinion of CU aside from enjoying those urine balloon at husker fan stories?

This thread has gone to a weird place. Not sure why we're debating whether CU or Stanford have a better fan base. I haven't seen Stanford mentioned much as a target for the big 10.

Anyway, does anyone know how good Rick's relationship is with USC? It seems to me that if the end result will be 3 or 4 super conferences, that the PAC12's fate is linked with what USC does. If USC gets a Big10 invite, I really hope Colorado goes with USC.

I was listening to a Big10 podcast and the guest had knowledge of the new Pac12 Commish and said that he is not an empty suit, he's really smart and know to be aggressive. If that is the case and the PAC is aiming to be one of the super conferences, who would be the best candidates to add?

Problem is that there are a lot of
Things taking place outside of Kliakoff’s control. He has no influence over UT, OU or the SEC. They’re the ones who got this ball rolling. It’ll be Kliavkoff’s job to navigate us through this chaos.
My personal preference would be to keep the PAC 12 as a viable collegiate athletic conference. Outside of that, a merger between the PAC and B1G seems like the next best option. Having the B1G raid 4-6 teams from the PAC seems like a great way to kill college football. I hope they can come up with a better alternative.

This thread has gone to a weird place. Not sure why we're debating whether CU or Stanford have a better fan base. I haven't seen Stanford mentioned much as a target for the big 10.

Anyway, does anyone know how good Rick's relationship is with USC? It seems to me that if the end result will be 3 or 4 super conferences, that the PAC12's fate is linked with what USC does. If USC gets a Big10 invite, I really hope Colorado goes with USC.

I was listening to a Big10 podcast and the guest had knowledge of the new Pac12 Commish and said that he is not an empty suit, he's really smart and know to be aggressive. If that is the case and the PAC is aiming to be one of the super conferences, who would be the best candidates to add?

If we're going to super conferences it'll be 2 or less.

And I think these waters so uncharted and perilous they would even make Mike Slive (RIP) and Jim Delaney nervous, nevermind a guy who has never worked in college athletics. One wrong move can sink your conference.

We’re debating because all this is speculation and no one knows what’s going to happen. In the absence of actual knowledge, we argue about things we don’t really understand.

If Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington are the most likely targets if the BIG wanted to expand, who would be next on their list and why?

I honestly don’t think the B1G is a good fit for us. I don’t think RG and the folks who are making decisions are terribly concerned with my opinion on the subject. Best case scenario is that the PAC survives as is. As I don’t believe that is now a likely scenario, I’m going down the list of options that suck slightly less. A straight out defection from the PAC to the B1G is pretty far down that list for me. Right above “relegation to the Mtn West and banishment to the Siberia of college football for all of eternity”.

I honestly don’t think the B1G is a good fit for us. I don’t think RG and the folks who are making decisions are terribly concerned with my opinion on the subject. Best case scenario is that the PAC survives as is. As I don’t believe that is now a likely scenario, I’m going down the list of options that suck slightly less. A straight out defection from the PAC to the B1G is pretty far down that list for me. Right above “relegation to the Mtn West and banishment to the Siberia of college football for all of eternity”.
So of the list of options that suck slightly less, what ranks higher than a defection to the B1G?

Beggars can't be choosers.

Unless the B1G takes us, I think we are finished and any chance we ever had of being somewhat relevant again is gone.

Unless the B1G takes us, I think we are finished and any chance we ever had of being somewhat relevant again is gone.
If the B1G decides to raid the Pac 12 for 4-6 teams and CU isn't included, the only outcome would be for the leftovers and Big 12 scraps to form their own conference that probably wouldn't be P5 status (although I don't know who determines that), or all the leftovers just get relegated to G5 conferences like AAC and MWC.

If B1G takes the 4 Cali schools and Oregon and UW, is this a viable 14 team P5 (P4?) conference?

Washington State
Oregon State
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
TTU
WVU
TCU

I think the idea is we fit with the Pac schools more... who would presumably be going over with us. We absolutely should follow USC if lucky enough to be considered in that discussion. So by coming over with Pac schools, we're still technically grouped in and associated with Pac schools (which allows us to retain Pac culture/association and alumni base) but also get the benefit of being in larger more lucrative football crazy conference that is based in midwest but, by adding Pac teams, has expanded to coast-to-coast brand... so not sure how we wouldn't "fit" in the newly rebranded Big 10 with great academic and athletic schools coast to coast. It's a win win win for us and best case scenario... and VASTLY superior to remaining in leftover Pac or Big 12 or god forbid Mtn West. If we joined the Mtn West I would honestly stop following and find another team. That would be the death knell and a DARK day for all of us I imagine.

I don’t disagree. But there are degrees of change that are better than others. I have no illusions that I have any control over the situation. The best landing spot as far as I’m concerned involves as little change as possible. I also realize that’s unrealistic.

You're committing a fundamental statistical error here. % /= total numbers. (Hint: DC is not the 4th best recruiting ground in the country, and any metric that implies that is questionable at best.)

Florida is the big one no matter how you slice it up - a high percentage of a big number. But a small percentage of a big number is going to generally be better than a higher percentage of a smaller number. 3.5% of CA and 2.7% of TX = a **** ton more recruits than 7.2% of DC.
1627333940582.jpg

I think the idea is we fit with the Pac schools more... who would presumably be going over with us. We absolutely should follow USC if lucky enough to be considered in that discussion. So by coming over with Pac schools, we're still technically grouped in and associated with Pac schools (which allows us to retain Pac culture/association and alumni base) but also get the benefit of being in larger more lucrative football crazy conference that is based in midwest but, by adding Pac teams, has expanded to coast-to-coast brand... so not sure how we wouldn't "fit" in the newly rebranded Big 10 with great academic and athletic schools coast to coast. It's a win win win for us and best case scenario... and VASTLY superior to remaining in leftover Pac or Big 12 or god forbid Mtn West. If we joined the Mtn West I would honestly stop following and find another team. That would be the death knell and a DARK day for all of us I imagine.
This assumes they go with the pod scenario and we get put in the Pac pod and not the farmer's pod of Iowa, Nebraska, KU (maybe), Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, etc. If we get stuck in the farmer's pod, then yes I agree that's not a good culture fit and I'd have to consider whether that would be better than sticking with what remains of Pac and any teams they add.

If the B1G decides to raid the Pac 12 for 4-6 teams and CU isn't included, the only outcome would be for the leftovers and Big 12 scraps to form their own conference that probably wouldn't be P5 status (although I don't know who determines that), or all the leftovers just get relegated to G5 conferences like AAC and MWC.

If B1G takes the 4 Cali schools and Oregon and UW, is this a viable 14 team P5 conference?

Washington State
Oregon State
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
TTU
WVU
TCU

Doubtful. I just don't see what moves the needle in that conference.

No California, second tier teams from WA, OR, OK, IA and TX coupled with the flagship schools from largely irrelevant college football states except for maybe Arizona, which seems to be top 15-ish as a recruiting ground.

So of the list of options that suck slightly less, what ranks higher than a defection to the B1G?
From my perspective, status quo is the most preferred option. I also think that’s unlikely. The PAC picking up 4 schools from the Big 12 leftovers is better. A merger of the B1G and PAC is preferable. All of those options retain some semblance of the conference we are currently in, which to me is preferable to blowing up the PAC and going to the B1G with a few other handpicked schools.

Back