What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OK, I'm going to defend Hawkins and you had better listen

So, what the ****. I missed one. Hey, I did the research, not you. If you want to criticize me, you do the god damned research. :smile2:

Well to be fair, the DL has been pretty invisible so far.

Not sure how to take this thread. But when the fans of the home team begin to fight among themselves like I see here, it's a sure thing something is wrong with the program.

Someone have a crystal ball around here? I sure could use it.

From Hawkins first 4 classes, we have 3 seniors and 9 juniors folks. What about that do you not get? As for the size of classes:

'06 - 21
'07 - 26
'08 - 21
'09 - 20

Not that horrible. Plus, he has to deal with much more difficult requirements that he did at BSU. Why don't you guys get pissed at admission requirements? Also, of the four that didn't make it this year, Davis was injured. Are you guys saying Hawkins should recruit only kids that will pass admissions without a doubt? Aren't kids on the borderline accountable? If they don't attend to business, is it Hawkins' fault? How about Simmons? He did what it took. So, are you going to pat Dan on the back for him getting in? Or do you pat Simmons on the back? Do you want Hawkins to offer schollies to ever kid he can so that he gets 30 recruits in a year? Then what? He can tell the kids that put him over the limit that "sorry kid, we don't have room for you. Good luck?"

Not sure how to take this thread. But when the fans of the home team begin to fight among themselves like I see here, it's a sure thing something is wrong with the program.

Someone have a crystal ball around here? I sure could use it.
And you call yourself a surveyor?

Hawk and his staff are aware of the admissions requirements. UT seems to get their players in, why can't CU?

When there are guys in a class that you know are borderline on their admissions, you oversign. And if everyone makes it in, you greyshirt one or two guys.

Hawk and his staff are aware of the admissions requirements. UT seems to get their players in, why can't CU?

When there are guys in a class that you know are borderline on their admissions, you oversign. And if everyone makes it in, you greyshirt one or two guys.
UT also gets around 50% of its kids to meet NCAA gpa requirments. Why not blame the NCAA for allowing this ****? Sorry dude, but CU has a higher standard and it hurts our athletic programs. Either change the standard or live with the results.

Big difference between 21 and 30. I do not want anywhere near 30 every year. I want right around 25. It gives you cushion for the inevitable departures. We're under the scholarship limit by a good amount and some of the guys on scholarship are walk-ons. How is that a good thing?

Give me a break on some of the admissions BS. You know why Simon, Moten, and Nuckols were not given many looks by other schools? Because the other schools knew those guys had little shot of qualifying. I'm pretty certain all three failed to meet NCAA requirements, which means the CU admissions department was not the problem.

Hawk gets a thumbs up for Simmons. We needed him and he got in. But it does not erase the other stuff.

UT also gets around 50% of its kids to meet NCAA gpa requirments. Why not blame the NCAA for allowing this ****?

You didn't answer the question. Why can UT get their kids admitted and CU can't? Their admissions requirements are just as tough as CU's.

UT also gets around 50% of its kids to meet NCAA gpa requirments. Why not blame the NCAA for allowing this ****? Sorry dude, but CU has a higher standard and it hurts our athletic programs. Either change the standard or live with the results.

:lol:

Poor little Hawk just cannot catch a break. Keep digging DBT.

Nice research DBT, but you know? It's still Hackins fault. It's his job to build the program from the so-called depths GB left it. It's his job to recruit, train, and prepare the teams year after year. He has failed on so many fronts it really isnt a surprise. Maybe we are surprised because he didnt write down practice statistics and closed practices so the fans and the media could see for themselves how crappy of a coach he really is. He used smoke and mirrors to give the illusion that he was going to present a good team on the field. No matter what the scoreboard doesnt lie and neither does is W/L record.

Juicebox needs to be shown the door or given a situation where he will resign. In the meantime we are just bleeding out.

Toledo's coach is in his 1st year, how about Bo Pelini, Rich Rod, Fairchild.

How is it that we can put up 65 points on Nebraska w/ GB's recruits, and after 1 year Pelini has taken Nebraska so far ahead of us, you can't even see them on the horizon.

So are you saying he could go .500 with GB's recruits, but cannot win with his?

I don't buy the senior BS, Rich Rod just beat Notre Dame with a group of Frosh and Sophs... How about Neuweisel in his second season?

It also doesn't help when you drive away your top offensive weapon, and your Freshman All-American guard from 2 years ago--who is now a starter for UCLA, because you wanted to use him at FB. And given the state of our WR and issues at Guard, I'd say those are pretty inexcusable... of course this is not the case with all of the players who have left the program, but, there are more than I mentioned.

Last edited:
Blame the fans for what? I'm not blaming the fans. My point is that they are not going to fire Hawkins. So, what are we left with? Waiting. So, my post is a message of hope to our fans, for one. It is also a message that Hawkins is going to be here like it or not, so bashing the program all over the internet is like cutting off your ugly ****ing nose to spite your ugly ****ing face!

that.

he's ours, we better do what we can to support him, or we just add to the problem.

I'm not defending, just saying, I think he's here, so I'm not going to make it worse by whining or trying to tear him down.

Nice research DBT, but you know? It's still Hackins fault. It's his job to build the program from the so-called depths GB left it. It's his job to recruit, train, and prepare the teams year after year. He has failed on so many fronts it really isnt a surprise. Maybe we are surprised because he didnt write down practice statistics and closed practices so the fans and the media could see for themselves how crappy of a coach he really is. He used smoke and mirrors to give the illusion that he was going to present a good team on the field. No matter what the scoreboard doesnt lie and neither does is W/L record.

Juicebox needs to be shown the door or given a situation where he will resign. In the meantime we are just bleeding out.

I beg to differ buffwing... We have a killer GPA! Not to mention, clearly one of the best walk-on programs in the country... We really develop those walk-ons.:thumbsup:

I cannot defend Hawks "game day" coaching, for sure. Or his assistants. I'm just saying that coming in with 3 years of recruiting restrictions behind him and only 4 years, 3 really, to rebuild the talent in the program is pretty daunting.

I evaluated his recruiting classes from '06 to '09. That is 4 classes, for you dumb****s that thougt it was three. Also, you have to remember that he inherited the classes preceding him which were the ones effected by the dumb assed recruitiing restrictions that Bitsy forced on GB. (Why GB played along, I'll never know.)

Anyway, here it is:

2006 had 22 recruits. The class averaged 2.64 of those dumbassed stars you dip ****s care about. But at least it is a way to compare. Of the 22 recruits from that class, 10 are still in the program. 8 Jrs. and 2 Srs. Remember, Dan had 5 or 6 weeks to pull this class together.

2007 he had 26 recruits. The class averaged 2.77 stars. Of THAT class, 15 are still in the program and every ****ing one is listed as a sophomore.

2008 had 21 recruits. The class averaged a whopping 3.24 stars! So, of that class, there is one senior, 10 freshmen and 6 sophomores! Not one single Jr.

Now, this years class. 2009. The class average dropped to 2.70. Not good. Of this class, there are 16 fresmen and one junior, Andre Simmons.

So, of all Hawk's classes combined, there are, at this very moment, 26 freshmen, 21 sophs, 9 juniors and 3 seniors. A whopping 29 of the kids are no longer in the program for various reasons.

3 seniors you dumb ****s! 9 Juniors! Of Hawk's first 4 recruiting classes, 1/3 have left and way over half are FR./SO.

My point is that it takes a helluva lot more than 4 years to build a program. Add to that the fact that GB's last couple of classes were hurt by restrictions and Hawk's first couple of classes were hurt by perception, and you have a really good explaination of where we are. The scandal killed this program. Don't forget that Diante Jackson wanted, with all his heart, to come to CU and his mom and grandma wouldn't let him because of their bias.

And now, a million of you dumb****s are ripping the program and Hawkins apart all over the internet. Sheesh! I'm exasporated. You people, instead of helping Hawkins out, are helping schools like 'braska bury us. Way to go.

Well I think we all know I'm with DBT on this one. I am just glad to know someone else is on this island with me.

Blame the fans for what? I'm not blaming the fans. My point is that they are not going to fire Hawkins. So, what are we left with? Waiting. So, my post is a message of hope to our fans, for one. It is also a message that Hawkins is going to be here like it or not, so bashing the program all over the internet is like cutting off your ugly ****ing nose to spite your ugly ****ing face!

Are you joking or are you really pissed off?....because I don't think anyone here deserves to be called names...like "ugly ****ing nose to spite your ugly ****ing face".

What's your problem?! :wow:

I'll admit, the kids not still in the program is distressing. Here they are. You can assess why the left:

Quentin Borders
Bill Boyer
Jason Brace had to quit football, concussions
Erik Faatagi JUCO guy, but he was never eligible anyway
Steven Fendry
Sherman Lang
Justin Nonu
Thomas Perez
Wes Simon quit football, I think because of injuries
Ino Vitali

(How many of those guys do you dip ****s remember?) Plus, this was Hawkins' first year and he had 5 weeks to throw the class together.

Kendrick Celestine (who wants back in)
Matt Ballenger (who knew he'd never crack the top two)
P.T. Gates (who couldn't make grades)
Drew Hudgins (?) JUCO guy; he graduated. Was Injured both years at CU
Nick Nelson (?) JUCO graduated
Chris Perri (helped beat the **** out of a kid I think)
Josh Smith (Rap star)
Lamont Smith (?)
Nate Vahimounonga (?)Criminal. Kicked off the team

Chance Blackmon (Who the hell knows)
Jameson Davis (bad knee)
Lynn Katoa (Couldn't stay out of trouble and in class)
Ryan Wallace (?)

Moten (Couldn't score a 17 on the ACT)
Nuckols (See Moten)
Simon (Grades)

So, as they have established a recruiting program, the (NOTs) are going down.

You've made some great points, (I filled in a couple of blanks above) but I have one tiny quibble. A lot of the guys Hawk signed in 2006 were Barnett recruits that had verballed before he was hired. Most of those guys never played football anywhere after they left here, so you can sort of guess that they weren't really Division I players, and regardless, they weren't Hawk guys.

I don't know if Hawk is going to turn this season around, and I understand why people are furious; I'm pretty pissed too. But I don't see the point of us acting like Nebraska fans when they turned on Solich and Callahan, and how they'll turn on Pellini when the time comes.

So I'm on the island too. Hawk isn't exempt from criticism but he is our guy, and with the contract he has its likely that he's here for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
It's simple DBT, Hawkins HIMSELF stated no more excuses this year. That is all that your wall of text is, just excuses. That is the problem, simple as that.

You can point to talent level, injuries, transfers, and academic casualties until you're blue in the face, but at the end of the day can you honestly say this 09 team is better than our 07 team? The answer is NO, and that is the responsibility of THIS staff, not GB's staff.

I want this team to succeed and I agree that all this bashing has a negative effect on recruiting and fan support, but let's not make excuses for what's going on.

Since we're doing this, we may as well be accurate.

According to Rivals, here are the classes for 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. I've included their star rankings and the average for the class. I put the guys who are no longer with the program in red. Finally, I took a look at which guys are no longer in the program and re-averaged the class based on who is left.

B.J. Beatty ***
Quintin Borders **
Bill Boyer **
Jason Brace ***
Cha'pelle Brown **
Jalil Brown **
Justin Drescher **
Erick Faatagi **
Steven Fendry ***
Cody Hawkins ***
Jonathan Hawkins **
Marquez Herrod ***
Sherman Lang ***
Eric Lawson ***
Corey Nabors **
Justin Nonu ***
Thomas Perez ***
Wes Simon ***
Michael Sipili ***
Jimmy Smith ***
Demetrius Sumler ***
Ino Vitale **

22 commitments (13 ***, 9 ** = 2.59)
10 In Program (6 ***, 4 ** = 2.60)
12 Out of Program (7 ***, 5 ** = 2.58)

Ethan Adkins ***
Tyler Ahles **
Matt Bahr ***
Matt Ballenger ***
Kendrick Celestine ***
Shawn Daniels ***
P.T. Gates ****
Eugene Goree **
Josh Hartigan **
Drew Hudgins ***
Mike Iltis **
Devan Johnson **
Brian Lockridge **
Keaiakai Maiava **
Ryan Miller *****
Nick Nelson **
Conrad Obi ***
Anthony Perkins ***
Chris Perri **
Lagrone Shields ***
Markques Simas ****
Josh Smith ***
Lamont Smith **
Sione Tau ***
Nate Vaiomounga ***
Anthony Wright ***

26 Commits (1 *****, 2 ****, 13 ***, 10 ** = 2.77)
15 In Program (1 *****, 1 ****, 8 ***, 5 ** = 2.87)
11 Out of Program (1 ****, 5 ***, 5 ** = 2.64)

Chance Blackmon ***
Curtis Cunningham ***
Ryan Dannewitz ***
Jameson Davis **
Ryan Deehan ****
Vince Ewing **
Bryce Givens ****
Tyler Hansen ***
Steven Hicks ***
Lynn Katoa ****
Patrick Mahnke ***
Jon Major ****
Shaun Mohler ****
Will Pericak ***
Ray Polk ****
Doug Rippy ***
Darrell Scott *****
Max Tuioti-Mariner ****
Paul Vigo **
Ryan Wallace ***

21 Commitments (1 *****, 7 ****, 10 *** , 3 ** = 3.29)
17 In Program (1 *****, 6 ****, 8 ***, 2 ** = 3.35)
4 Out of Program (1 ****, 2 ***, 1 ** = 3.00)

David Bakhtiari **
Nate Bonsu ***
Toney Clemons **** (transfer)
Jarrod Darden ***
Clark Evans ***
Zach Grossnickle **
Gus Handler **
Jack Harris ****
Will Jefferson N/A (put in commitment #s but not avg)
Nick Kasa ****
Josh Moten ***
Liloa Nobriga ***
Edward Nuckols ****
Deji Olatoye **
Parker Orms ***
Andre Simmons ****
Shaun Simon **
DaVaughn Thornton **
Terdema Ussery ***
Derrick Webb ***
J. Forrest West **

21 Commitments (5 ****, 9 ***, 7 ** = 2.90)
18 In Program (4 ****, 8 ***, 6 ** = 2.89)
3 Out of Program (1 ****, 1 ***, 1 ** = 3.00)

Overall
90 Commitments (2 *****, 14 ****, 45 ***, 29 ** = 2.88)
60 In Program (2 *****, 11 ****, 30 ***, 17 ** = 2.97)
30 Out of Program (0 *****, 3 ****, 15 ***, 12 ** = 2.70)

May as well compare with GB's last class, too.

Paul Backowski **
Alvin Barnett ***
Jake Behrens ***
Mack Brown **
Benjamin Burney **
Marcus Burton ***
Patrick Devenny **
Matthew Dilallo **
Reggie Foster ***
Riar Geer ***
Maurice Greer ****
Jeremy Hauck **
Devin Head ***
George Hypolite ***
Zach Jones ***
Taj Kaynor **
James Lewis **
Maurice Lucas ***
Bryce MacMartin ***
Gardner McKay **
Kevin Moyd **
Chris Todd ***
Terry Washington ***
Jarrell Yates ***
Sam Zimmerrer ***

25 Commitments (1 ****, 14 ***, 10 ** = 2.64)
11 In Program thru Sr (5 ***, 6 ** = 2.45
14 Out of Program pre Sr (1 ****, 9 ***, 4 ** = 2.79)

If you really look through the classes, what's hurt the most is that we've lost a lot of QBs, WRs, OLs, DTs and DEs. Considering on-field performance the past 3+ seasons, that should come as no surprise.

I am torn as well. I still believe that Hawk could turn out to be a winner here if he is willing to look in the mirror and make some changes on his end.

DBT though makes a very good point. Look at our depth charts and what you see is lots of Soph and Fr. at almost every position. These are good football players but developmentaly (physically and mentally) are still underclassmen. We are in effect the equivelent of a Juco playing teams with large numbers of kids who have a couple more years of development.

DBT also makes a good point in that the so-called scandal is still impacting us. Hawk probably should have taken this into account and oversigned but in many cases to get better quality players he had to go after riskier players since fact is we are not seen in the same light as the programs who have had high levels of success and not had the negative publicity. The talented guys who are low risk are not looking at us like they do the programs that have had better results on the field andin the media.

I still hold out hope that Hawk will look in the mirror, make an honest evaluation of himself and his job and fix some things. If he does, that in combination with the maturing of the young talent on this team could move us back into the positive column. Once that happens then the momentum gets rolling and wins become expected by those inside and outside the program. When that happens the better quality recruits pay more attention and more wins follow. It is much harder to get there than to stay there. All the people talking about Peterson at Boise seem to forget that he didn't have to build a program, just take the wheel. Of course the same can be said about Hawk since he took over a program that was already up there but he had done some good things here.

I just realized that I screwed up on Nelson and Hudgins. They were JUCOs and did not leave the program. Numbers are still close enough for discussion and I don't feel like doing any of them over. Also found a big mistake in that Eric Lawson is still in the program. :smile:

Last edited:
I'll admit, the kids not still in the program is distressing. Here they are. You can assess why the left:

Quentin Borders
Bill Boyer (disappeared/reappeared at AA Washburn)
Jason Brace had to quit football, concussions
Erik Faatagi JUCO guy, but he was never eligible anyway
Steven Fendry (transfered to BYU after one year, 3rd year Freshman...seriously)
Sherman Lang (could not qualify/botched grayshirt)
Justin Nonu (retired/medical scholarship for his back)
Thomas Perez (qualified, redshirted, then became academically ineligible, left team)
Wes Simon quit football, I think because of injuries
Ino Vitali (transfered to AA Northwest?)

(How many of those guys do you dip ****s remember?) Plus, this was Hawkins' first year and he had 5 weeks to throw the class together.

Kendrick Celestine (who wants back in)
Matt Ballenger (who knew he'd never crack the top two)
P.T. Gates (who couldn't make grades)
Drew Hudgins (?) JUCO guy; he graduated. Was Injured both years at CU
Nick Nelson (?) JUCO graduated
Chris Perri (helped beat the **** out of a kid I think)
Josh Smith (Rap star)
Lamont Smith (transfered back to a JUCO in Arizona/WTF?)
Nate Vahimounonga (?)Criminal. Kicked off the team

Chance Blackmon (Who the hell knows) move closer to family
Jameson Davis (bad knee)
Lynn Katoa (Couldn't stay out of trouble and in class)
Ryan Wallace (thought he was homesick?)

Moten (Couldn't score a 17 on the ACT)
Nuckols (See Moten)
Simon (Grades)

So, as they have established a recruiting program, the (NOTs) are going down.

I tried to fill in the rest mostly because I was interested in seeing what happened.

As mentioned numerous times on this board, when we have a gap in talent (maybe like DE or WR) we have enormous trouble getting JUCO's in here. I don't want to turn into KJUCOState, but when you can't get more than one in a year, we are going to have real problems.

I am going to stand by the team, and pull for Hawkins because he is our coach, but he will never sell me on the player groupings, or playing like RUDY U. I am speechless on the defense. I like McKnight and I like Espy, but seriously:

Simmons 6'3" 210, Darden 6'4" 210, Ussery 6'2" 205

Come on!!! If we are going to go out there and get cornholed on national television again, lets get some playing time to the playmakers!! They might be able to contribute a little more with some more reps. 30+ three and four star players didn't see the field during the Toledo game? It was pretty much garbage time after the @#$! kickoff.

Fun facts about CU's current roster:

We have 17 seniors on the team, of those 17, 11 of them are from Barnett, the other 6 came in under Hawkins.
Of those 11 that are from Barnett, five are starters:

DiLallo - punter
Geer - TE
Burton - MLB
Smart - MLB
Kaynor - DE

Of the remaining six, only three are in the 2 deep rotation:
Burney - 2nd string (good)
Behrens - blocker on a non-running team, we don't use the FB's so he never sees the field
Devenny - good TE, but he is behind Geer, Barnett's other recruit.

- on the 112 man roster for the CU Buffaloes, only 11 remain from Barnetts time, that is less than 10% of the roster
- of those 11, only 8 were offered scholarships and signed, the other 3 were walk ons
- no starting Barnett seniors at the following positions: QB, WR, RB, WLB, FB, CB, K, OL, S
- Barnett starting seniors, TE, MLB, P, DE
- 1 **** recruit, DiLallo - Punter
- 2 *** recruits, Burton (LB), Devenny (TE)
- 4 ** recruits, Moyd (RB), Kaynor (DE), Burney (CB), Behrens (FB)

I love the Buffs, but this stuff kills me. I understand we need consistancy, but not this kind of consistancy.

Please, for the love of Christ in the sky, beat Wyoming by 3 TD's.

Hell yes dbt. I'm with you on Hawk. I got torn up last weekend for defending him. He just needs a team full of srs and jr's that he recruited. Next year will
be righteous but there will be some good stuff this year.

No **** they aren't going to fire him genius!!!! I don't want to go through another coaching search!!!!! I want hawk to back up his Talk and GASP...WIN some games! But yet here you are, year 4, making more excuses for the guy. Accountability is too much I guess.

Hawk is the one who says he recruits nothing but winners and guys with great families,good genes, great smiles. How could we lose any of them? Your the same guy who probably bashed barney for this same crap but you give hawk a free pass. :rolleyes:

The youth excuse is getting old with me, especially when I look at teams all across the country playing their freshmen & sophomores. And the big schools, too. Take, for instance, USC who is playing a true ****ing freshman at QB! Jesus ****, that's nearly unheard-of, especially at a factory like SC. But Carroll saw he was the guy and plays him. The wide receiver from Toledo who ****ing scorched us was a true freshman. The KR for Michigan who scored the TD on the kick return is a true freshman.

As has been noted on many other threads, Hawkins system has always been to play those who practice the hardest, not those who have the talent. That's great for peewee & high school ball (and potentially even at small college ball), but definitely not for Division I football.

Put the ****ing talent on the field.

Are you joking or are you really pissed off?....because I don't think anyone here deserves to be called names...like "ugly ****ing nose to spite your ugly ****ing face".

What's your problem?! :wow:
Yeah Gate, I was dead serious. :wow:

Back