What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OK, you are Mike Bohn. What do you do.

This is what I do, if I am Mike Bohn.

#1 - I get on the horn with the donors. All the people who supposedly were going to pony up the money in November - call them again. I make sure I have every penny I need for the buyout so NOT A DIME of the buyout comes directly out of the AD's budget.

You shouldn't have any trouble convincing any alumni donors who were at the game today.

The point isn't to fix this season.

The point is that it's time to move on. Delaying doesn't gain us anything.

I don't see how we "move on" with 10 games left in a football season.

These kids have spent 9 months learning an offense, a defense, working with these coaches, etc.

What difference is changing ONE PERSON going to make?

This program needs absolute complete wholesale change - which CAN NOT come during the middle of the football season.

Have mac get a staff together right now and fire johnson and riddell. I'm sure mac can find an OL and ST'S coach...

Seriously, what good does it do to let the season play out at 2-10?

These kids have spent 9 months learning an offense, a defense, working with these coaches, etc.

This program needs absolute complete wholesale change - which CAN NOT come during the middle of the football season.

One person that truly motivates and gets the team fired up and actually knows how to fix the little things-- and 2 quadzillion of them-- will make a difference. You are old enough that you should have seen businesses and teams that can change and succeed by turning over the head coach. baseball and hockey do it all the time.

Even if you do nothing but promote Cabral to interim HC and move Jashon Sykes over from the AD to coach the linebackers, you send a clear message to the fans, the players, the boosters and the recruits that CU is not willing to accept being a loser and is moving on strong.

The wholesale change can come later.

Have mac get a staff together right now and fire johnson and riddell. I'm sure mac can find an OL and ST'S coach...

Seriously, what good does it do to let the season play out at 2-10?

It does no good...only adds to the already ridiculously long recovery period....

One person that truly motivates and gets the team fired up and actually knows how to fix the little things-- and 2 quadzillion of them-- will make a difference. You are old enough that you should have seen businesses and teams that can change and succeed by turning over the head coach. baseball and hockey do it all the time.

Sure --- but not with just 2 weeks.

Sure --- but not with just 2 weeks.

It's not two weeks. It is four years and two weeks of the some old ****. Over and over. You act like this is something new and may be an abberation. We just got ass-****ed on tv by a team picked to finish 7th in the PAC-10. Ass-****ed. Dry. No reach around. You bitches really want to see the same ass-raping for another 10 weeks?

It's not two weeks. It is four years and two weeks of the some old ****. Over and over. You act like this is something new and may be an abberation. We just got ass-****ed on tv by a team picked to finish 7th in the PAC-10. Ass-****ed. Dry. No reach around. You bitches really want to see the same ass-raping for another 10 weeks?

LOL. It IS 2 weeks for a new coach to come in. Not to mention if you DO bring in someone like McCartney - he knows TWO PEOPLE on this CU staff. Hagan and Cabral. That's it. He doesn't know the schemes. He doesn't know the coaches. He doesn't know the personnel.

I don't want to see the same ass-raping for 10 more weeks, but I don't care who the coach is -- with 2 weeks to work with the offense isn't going to change. The defense isn't going to change, etc. You don't change schemes, change playbooks, change calls, etc in TWO WEEKS!!

I could see bringing in McCartney as an advisor - while Cabral or Kiesau or somebody takes over the team. McCartney is there on a day-to-day basis, over seeing the whole process, giving his input, meeting with players, etc.

LOL. It IS 2 weeks for a new coach to come in. Not to mention if you DO bring in someone like McCartney - he knows TWO PEOPLE on this CU staff. Hagan and Cabral. That's it. He doesn't know the schemes. He doesn't know the coaches. He doesn't know the personnel.

I don't want to see the same ass-raping for 10 more weeks, but I don't care who the coach is -- with 2 weeks to work with the offense isn't going to change. The defense isn't going to change, etc. You don't change schemes, change playbooks, change calls, etc in TWO WEEKS!!

I could see bringing in McCartney as an advisor - while Cabral or Kiesau or somebody takes over the team. McCartney is there on a day-to-day basis, over seeing the whole process, giving his input, meeting with players, etc.

So what are you suggesting again?

OK, if it were me, I'd be talking to a lot of folks. Donors, alums, and admin. I'd come up with a plan for success. I don't care if Hawk wins the next two and goes to 3-1. He's done.

So, I'd go from there. AD's don't think in the "now", they think in the next, say, five years. The good old "five year plan." I'd think in the "now." I'd be on the line with the regents, lawyers, donors, etc. I'd find an intermediate coach. Mac would be my man. I'd bring him in for the remainder of the season. I'd have Mac give me his plan for a new staff. I'd give Mac a three year deal. Mac would then be involved in the selection of the next guy. He's sell recruits on the coming change.

i don't see Hawk getting canned in the next month, but if i'm a coach on the staff.....i'm all about loyalty but i may also be tired of losing and if Mac is around i coach my flipping ass off 1. for him, a legend and 2. because in the likely event i'm not retained a letter of rec from mac might take the hawk stink off my resume/career

What would I do? I would

FIRE DAN HAwKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fire him tomorrow. Hire anyone to finish out the season. I don't really care who, so long as it's not Hawkins.

Fire him tomorrow. Hire anyone to finish out the season. I don't really care who, so long as it's not Hawkins.

:yeahthat:

Get some ****ing accountability in that football program, the lack of it pervades the organization.

I wouldn't fire him. I'd call him into my office and ask him what the **** that was on Saturday. When he gives me a run of excuses I'd tell him to be a man of his word and resign at seasons end if he doesn't produce a winning season. If he won't agree to that then I'd tell him that he will be fired the next time the team loses.

Even if you do nothing but promote Cabral to interim HC and move Jashon Sykes over from the AD to coach the linebackers, you send a clear message to the fans, the players, the boosters and the recruits that CU is not willing to accept being a loser and is moving on strong.

The wholesale change can come later.

I think that's the right answer.

Look, no real good can come on the field from a mid-season firing. But it can do a WORLD of good mentally for the team and especially the alumni/fanbase. We have to start prepping for the move west, whether it be next season or in 2012. There is a TON on the line for CU athletics right now and keeping Hawk the rest of this season will just demoralize everyone involved with CU.

But fire him Monday? Or after the next loss? That excites people and gives them hope there COULD be a new and better tomorrow coming sooner rather than later. Fire him now/soon and we can interim up the rest of this year and talk about what should happen next. It would allow our big alums to help get things done. Someone give Christopher Melloni a call and tell him to chip in! lol

But, at this point, Buffs the world over need to know there is hope on the way. This season is probably going to suck no matter what now, but at least if Hawk is gone, we can really look ahead to a better tomorrow. Which I think is the point about a mid-season firing.

Dear Mike Bohn - if the Pac-10 pays the Big 12 exit fee, fine. They'll be able to pound CU Football week after week. But please don't agree to some 10-year extension for Hawkins. No matter what they offer.

OK, if it were me, I'd be talking to a lot of folks. Donors, alums, and admin. I'd come up with a plan for success. I don't care if Hawk wins the next two and goes to 3-1. He's done.

So, I'd go from there. AD's don't think in the "now", they think in the next, say, five years. The good old "five year plan." I'd think in the "now." I'd be on the line with the regents, lawyers, donors, etc. I'd find an intermediate coach. Mac would be my man. I'd bring him in for the remainder of the season. I'd have Mac give me his plan for a new staff. I'd give Mac a three year deal. Mac would then be involved in the selection of the next guy. He's sell recruits on the coming change.
I remember reading an interview with Bohn 2 or so years ago where he shared that one of his biggest regrets as AD of the buffs (up to that point) was staying another year with Patton when it was obvious to him that he was not the solution. I'm hoping this regret is weighing on his mind quite heavily right now as he considers what to do about Hawk. Bohn definitely strikes me as the kind of guy who is eager to not make the same mistake twice and I suspect Bohn will move to oust Hawk now as opposed to suffer through a rough season with a coach that everyone knows is a lame duck.

Back