What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Oral History of the old SWC and early Big 12

PAC MAN

Tekken Masher.
Club Member

I enjoyed the read...I don't think we will see another SWC but there's no denying its impact on college football. In the old Big 8, there was certainly some spillover effects from the SWC such as those option offenses and yes the cheating from both Oklahoma schools that had both put on probation in the late 80's. You even wanted to beat those non Nebraska and Oklahoma schools because you couldn't stand them in other sports. Even some of the Big 8 schools voted against Nebraska in league matters because of the hate for them.

Seems like California is lame in comparsion.

Fun article. The disparity in resources amongst conference members was just unsustainable.

The part about Spike Dykes having the opposing coach over for cocktails the night before games is pretty amazing.

I lived in SWC country from 72-83, and then followed Arky religiously until I went to CU in 87, even after. The SWC was a wild ride. Texas politics, oil money, rampant recruiting cheating, tons of talent, players and coaches, overlapping fanbases, hating your neighbor....there was nothing like it.

A while back the sports jocks did an interview with Marcus Dupree. At one point the convo turned to the recruiting process.

One of the hosts prefaced a question by saying he was pretty sure the statute of limitations was past, even for the ncaa. He then asked Dupree what was the one thing offered to him, during recruiting, that stood out.

Dupree replued, "an oil well". o_O

A while back the sports jocks did an interview with Marcus Dupree. At one point the convo turned to the recruiting process.

One of the hosts prefaced a question by saying he was pretty sure the statute of limitations was past, even for the ncaa. He then asked Dupree what was the one thing offered to him, during recruiting, that stood out.

That's not surprising in the least bit.

That's awesome

My grandfather, a big OU fan, before he died in 1997, he talked about the Big 12 being the Dirty Dozen for a reason.

Looking forward to the oral history of Nebraska and roids.

Haven't read this yet but sounds like some similar things were talked about in the 30 for 30 Pony Excess. One of the best stories was when Texas A&M was recruiting Eric Dickerson and he suddenly showed up in this shiny new Trans Am and everyone was calling it the Trans A&M

Haven't read this yet but sounds like some similar things were talked about in the 30 for 30 Pony Excess. One of the best stories was when Texas A&M was recruiting Eric Dickerson and he suddenly showed up in this shiny new Trans Am and everyone was calling it the Trans A&M
FWIW, I heard that story when Dickerson was playing at Sealy HS. Not in the same league, but it was the hot story in the H-Town area among HS FB players. Story goes A&M booster shows at Dickerson house in a new Trans Am, hands Dickerson the keys saying:"This means we'll see you at A&M, right?" Dickerson says "sure". The next day he fires up the Trans Am to go sign his LOI for SMU.

Craig James played in H-Town too, at Stratford HS. Crazy times.

Back