What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-10, 11, 12 or 14?

Pac size you want?

Results are only viewable after voting.
This just seems to be a continuation of everyone talking out of their ass.
Of Course Yes GIF by PragerU

If we wanted to grab the 4 football teams in the west who are respected in the rest of the country and can make for a compelling broadcast: BYU, Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State.

I mean, if we're going to say "Fvck academics, this is about football" then that should be the Pac-14 going forward. I'd also consider filling the map and inviting both UNLV and New Mexico as non-football members.
If you turn the PAC10 into the Blended Mtn West, you’re going to get a Blended Mtn West TV contract. From the frying pan into the fire.

10. I just don’t see a major benefit of adding any of the potential schools at this time. Need to make it easier to leave when the time comes sooner or later.

How come it didn't work like that for the Big 12 becoming a blended AAC?
Because the programs they added were equal or better than some or many of their existing schools. Nik, I believe the current Mtn West contracts are $4 million per school, though I’m not positive. It’s very low.

Because the programs they added were equal or better than some or many of their existing schools. Nik, I believe the current Mtn West contracts are $4 million per school, though I’m not positive. It’s very low.
I know it's low. But it was low when the Pac added Utah. It was low when the B12 added TCU. Their value skyrockets if you add a G5 with the right resources and market to a conference that already pulls an audience.

I also think that's why you can & should give a reduced share that reaches parity over time when adding a G5 to a P5 conference. It's more than they're currently making even if significantly reduced and it would take 5 years until the average fan got used to thinking of them as P5 & a UNLV became as valuable or more valuable than a KSU.

i just want to pretend we would even want to poach whatever teams are in the truck stop 12. truth is, sdsu and smu are way better adds if we want to add.

i do feel a little bad for ku. they don't totally suck at everything universities do like pretty much the rest of the b12.

None of those 3 make for a compelling broadcast. And BYU is not changing their mind on going to the Big 12
I think BSU, SDSU or FSU playing Oregon is as compelling as UA, ASU, WSU, Cal or Stanford (or CU without the Prime effect) playing Oregon. OSU jumps up due to the rivalry in this particular matchup. If we consider audience when unranked (since anyone can draw a number when ranked), I don't see much difference between those schools and the remaining Pac membership.

I think BSU, SDSU or FSU playing Oregon is as compelling as UA, ASU, WSU, Cal or Stanford (or CU without the Prime effect) playing Oregon. OSU jumps up due to the rivalry in this particular matchup. If we consider audience when unranked (since anyone can draw a number when ranked), I don't see much difference between those schools and the remaining Pac membership.
If so you’re making a good case for UofA, ASU and CU going to the B12. I’m a big follower of the Mtn West but it’s G-Fivey to the Max. BSU has a little cache, but it’s a crud school in the middle of despair and potato farms.

If so you’re making a good case for UofA, ASU and CU going to the B12. I’m a big follower of the Mtn West but it’s G-Fivey to the Max. BSU has a little cache, but it’s a crud school in the middle of despair and potato farms.
Why is that a Big 12 case? That conference has no one compelling when unranked.

The differences between B12 sports teams and Mtn West sports teams are generally pretty big. I respect your posts but when you often come back to mentally grafting MW teams into the PAC it’s a real head scratcher.
Worked with Utah.

Worked with TCU.

Not sure why SDSU, FSU and BSU seem like such a stretch in consideration of that.

How about 8?

Kick OSU and WSU to the curb.

Impose requirements for a high minimum investment in athletics in general and football in particular.

Impose requirements for minimum stadium size, scheduling non-conf games of national interest, satellite recruiting camps.... anything that correlates to national success and can be measured.

Shed the dead weight and circle the wagons with the highest value schools, assuming the eight are committed to the investment. This is more effective than unequal revenue sharing among persistent members

How about 8?

Kick OSU and WSU to the curb.

Impose requirements for a high minimum investment in athletics in general and football in particular.

Impose requirements for minimum stadium size, scheduling non-conf games of national interest, satellite recruiting camps.... anything that correlates to national success and can be measured.

Shed the dead weight and circle the wagons with the highest value schools, assuming the eight are committed to the investment. This is more effective than unequal revenue sharing among persistent members
Characterizing OSU and WSU as dead weight is incorrect. WSU just won the conference women’s basketball championship. OSU has a baseball national championship in the last few years. Both schools have been better than CU in Football for a while. Corvallis is closer to Portland than Eugene is. These are legacy schools that don’t just get kicked to the curb.

Probably isn't a popular opinion, but if the money works I'd much rather add UNLV than SMU.

Geographically and culturally, it's a much more natural fit.

And if we're thinking long-term, I think having that 12 as a base for the next round makes a ton of sense. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the next round could be no one leaving the Pac-12 and an opportunity to poach the Big 12 as the ACC loses some programs & responds by poaching UCF, WVU, Cincy and (from the Big East) UConn.

I know it's low. But it was low when the Pac added Utah. It was low when the B12 added TCU. Their value skyrockets if you add a G5 with the right resources and market to a conference that already pulls an audience.

I also think that's why you can & should give a reduced share that reaches parity over time when adding a G5 to a P5 conference. It's more than they're currently making even if significantly reduced and it would take 5 years until the average fan got used to thinking of them as P5 & a UNLV became as valuable or more valuable than a KSU.

You are ignoring that when those things happened, the TV contracts were in a "skys the limit" phase. Now the market has changed. I believe the remaining TV pie is finite and adding more members just reduces the share of the pie which is already too small for those left out. We are seeing grumblings from schools like FSU that there is not enough money to compete with the SEC and Big10.

You are ignoring that when those things happened, the TV contracts were in a "skys the limit" phase. Now the market has changed. I believe the remaining TV pie is finite and adding more members just reduces the share of the pie which is already too small for those left out. We are seeing grumblings from schools like FSU that there is not enough money to compete with the SEC and Big10.
So do you think it hurt Big 12 media value to add Houston, UCF, Cincinnati and BYU from G5 this year?

i am only half-kidding about poaching ku from the truck stop 12. they are now the academic flagship of that conference.

also i heard a rumor from a west vagina insider close to every power conference president and AD that ku approached the Pac and begged for a spot. they are willing to reduce their payout in half for the first 3 years. they are desperate to get away from their pre-k counterparts like kjuco state.

you heard it here first.

i am only half-kidding about poaching ku from the truck stop 12. they are now the academic flagship of that conference.

also i heard a rumor from a west vagina insider close to every power conference president and AD that ku approached the Pac and begged for a spot. they are willing to reduce their payout in half for the first 3 years. they are desperate to get away from their pre-k counterparts like kjuco state.

you heard it here first.
Pretty sure they are stuck with the GOR.

Pretty sure they are stuck with the GOR.
my wv inside source says they are negotiating a buyout right now. kjuco state offered them half of their own b12 payout for 5 years but ku is adamant about leaving.

this is fresh out of the wv insider's scoop machine.

Probably isn't a popular opinion, but if the money works I'd much rather add UNLV than SMU.

And if we're thinking long-term, I think having that 12 as a base for the next round makes a ton of sense. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the next round could be no one leaving the Pac-12 and an opportunity to poach the Big 12 as the ACC loses some programs & responds by poaching UCF, WVU, Cincy and (from the Big East) UConn.

I’d also prefer unlv, but the problems there seem to be

They suck at football. Like really bad. Like they haven’t even gone .500 under a coach since the 70s or something.

Their support is pretty bad given the above, I think their attendance is roughly in the high teens range

So I like the idea of them more than I really like them

Tbh if we added like sdsu, Fresno, Boise, and one more decent football school that’d be pretty fun to watch, but idk if it does anything other than dilute the money as idk how much most of those add except maybe sdsu

If we're going to replace the socal schools then SDSU and UNLV are my choice. Both from big cities. If we're going to expand then Fresno St. and Boise St. are next. Its too bad New Mexico can't get its **** together in football cause I wouldn't mind them either. A big no thanks to BYU or any of the Texas schools.

Back