What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 @ London Olympics

• Thread starter Deleted member 807
  • Start date
It seems the top tier Pac 12 schools have specific specialties. Washington has rowing. Oregon has track. USC, Stanford and Cal have some combination of water polo, swimming, vollyball soccer and track. These schools not only make a point to develop US athletes, but also international athletes.

I suspect CU would be uniquely situated as an Olympic training Mecca for cycling, both road bike and mountain bike. Investments might also enhance CU's output of winter Olympic athletes in Nordic and Alpine events.

To some extent, Nike U has pulled distance running away from Boulder. CU primarily offers partial scholarships for track and XC. Colorado does not actively recruit foreign runners. Coach Wetmore prides himself on developing Americans. If CU and the Pac wanted Colorado to increase the conference's number of Olympic athletes, an easy strategy would be to increase the number of full ride scholarships for athletes competing in running events of 1500M or above (including steeple) and also recruit international athletes to compete at CU.

Investments might also enhance CU's output of winter Olympic athletes in Nordic and Alpine events.

I'm afraid that the athletes in both skiing disciplines in college are not Olympic caliber. Like in gymnastics or tennis, if you're playing in college you've already washed out of the top ranks or you were never good enough to begin with. Top skiing athletes are on the World Cup circuit when they're in their mid-to-late teens. Jeremy Bloom is the one exception that comes to mind, but he was always looking at an NFL career first.

Golf seems a natural place for CU to focus its efforts. The women had a great season last year and the men have a tremendous history with four US Open titles plus guys like Dale Douglass. Golf will be in the Olympics again in 2106.

I'm afraid that the athletes in both skiing disciplines in college are not Olympic caliber. Like in gymnastics or tennis, if you're playing in college you've already washed out of the top ranks or you were never good enough to begin with. Top skiing athletes are on the World Cup circuit when they're in their mid-to-late teens. Jeremy Bloom is the one exception that comes to mind, but he was always looking at an NFL career first.

Golf seems a natural place for CU to focus its efforts. The women had a great season last year and the men have a tremendous history with four US Open titles plus guys like Dale Douglass. Golf will be in the Olympics again in 2106.

I don't think I'll be around to see it. :wink2:

Will they allow pros?

The Pac 12 swimming team members (and the rest of the country's contribution) in a new Team USA goofy video:

[video=youtube;YPIA7mpm1wU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPIA7mpm1wU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

A lot of these kids will be taking home some serious medals.

GO USA!

Last edited:
cc5fea26d80211e192ea12313b06ea11_7.jpg

Yeah. I said it. I got my right hand full with the Cal athletes in the Olympics already so what's the answer Mr. Mark?

Left is for the stranger... so wtf? Am i supposed to know all of the 4 CU athletes in the Olympics?

Last edited:
Flora Duffy (women's triathlon) Team Bermuda

University of Colorado senior

Hometown: Warwick, BER
WTS rank: 37

Olympic Schedule:
Women's Triathlon
Saturday 8/4: Finals, 9AM GMT (2A mountain)
TV: Live on NBC Sports Network between 2-4:15 a.m.

637f16dd-61e6-3b00.jpg

[hide]

Dana Vollmer, former Cal Bear, won gold in WR time over the 100 freestyle

[/hide]

The PAC 12 is currently responsible for a good portion of the USA medals so far. As far as I can tell, here's the conference count:

Arizona -1 Silver
Cal - 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze
SC - 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze

The Huskies are coming up next in rowing which should greatly increase the count and if the water polo teams keep winning, a lot of furd medals will appear soon.

The PAC 12 is currently responsible for a good portion of the USA medals so far. As far as I can tell, here's the conference count:

Arizona -1 Silver
Cal - 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze
SC - 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze

The Huskies are coming up next in rowing which should greatly increase the count and if the water polo teams keep winning, a lot of furd medals will appear soon.

Which by default means Cal gets more too! With rowing and polo that is.

Quite a few medals going to P12 athletes with the US women´s water polo and football teams winning gold

Back