What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Out of the two programs, UCLA will have the more difficult time adjusting to the switch. B1G football and UCLA don’t go together very well.

They’ll still beat the piss out of Nebraska. But everybody does, so that’s not saying much.

The vibe around the expected PAC 12 payout have turned decidedly dour of late. I guess ”everyone talking out of their ass” will end within the next month or so, and we will all know the number. My hunch is that the PAC 12 deal is going to come in behind the Big 12. And not necessarily because the teams or footprints are lesser, but because the league has no leverage with anyone right now.

if the payout is in fact below the Big 12, the Arizona schools might be the first to flinch and bolt for the Big 12 themselves.

UCLA is a bit of an unknown until they know what they have in Moore. He could be miles better than DTR ever was, but it might not happen as a true freshman. They have to replace Charbonnet too who was probably more pivotal last season than DTR was

The vibe around the expected PAC 12 payout have turned decidedly dour of late. I guess ”everyone talking out of their ass” will end within the next month or so, and we will all know the number. My hunch is that the PAC 12 deal is going to come in behind the Big 12. And not necessarily because the teams or footprints are lesser, but because the league has no leverage with anyone right now.

if the payout is in fact below the Big 12, the Arizona schools might be the first to flinch and bolt for the Big 12 themselves.
The scary part is that as soon as the numbers are known, and the pressure to sign off on it with our rights, we are in a pickle, BUT, we have a unicorn in the house, so what happens then. I agree the Arizona schools panic, Oregon panics and could even think about being Independent like ND, Washington panics, but they cannot fully ditch WSU.

I think the PAC number becomes the bargaining number for going to another conference on a reduced share option.

I think that Colorado and Arizona right now have the most potential for a move to the SEC because of Prime in Football and Arizona basketball. If there is any chance at all, then we must find a way to go.

ASU could go to the Big 12 pretty easily

Honest question, is UCLA, under Chip Kelly and the rest of his staff truly ready for the B1G 10? Not the strongest recruiting trend right now, changing conferences is hard, and they have not even won the PAC in a long time, let along even playing for the Championship since 2012. I think they are gonna suffer big time, and it will then continue to hurt recruiting.
UCLA is going to struggle in football. They’ll do well in basketball, maybe. I have a feeling the move won’t turn out well for them. USC will compete but UCLA will struggle.

Actually I think both of these things are somewhat true.
  • I believe that last year, UCLA would have been clearly outclassed by UM/OSU/PSU, but would have been right there with Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa in the next tier.
  • I believe that going forward, UCLA is around that same talent level given that they've been pulling in 25-30ish classes for the guys who are on the roster
  • However, context matters- switching conferences has not worked out for almost ANYONE in the last 30 years or so. Think about all the teams that are worse off than they were in their old conferences: CU, nubs, A&M, Mizzou, Miami, BC, Maryland, and WVU. About the only programs its worked out for are Virginia Tech, Utah, and TCU, and 2/3 of those were moving into P5 from G5. Add in the fact that UCLAs travel schedule is going to be HORRENDOUS- other than USC, their closest conference mate is a 3 hour flight away, and they will have to do some east coast swings with 6 hour flights.
So, I think the folks who say that UCLA is competitive int he B1G are likely right if you ignore the context, and the people who say UCLA is going to struggle mightily in the B1G are likely right because of the context.

Actually I think both of these things are somewhat true.
  • I believe that last year, UCLA would have been clearly outclassed by UM/OSU/PSU, but would have been right there with Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa in the next tier.
  • I believe that going forward, UCLA is around that same talent level given that they've been pulling in 25-30ish classes for the guys who are on the roster
  • However, context matters- switching conferences has not worked out for almost ANYONE in the last 30 years or so. Think about all the teams that are worse off than they were in their old conferences: CU, nubs, A&M, Mizzou, Miami, BC, Maryland, and WVU. About the only programs its worked out for are Virginia Tech, Utah, and TCU, and 2/3 of those were moving into P5 from G5. Add in the fact that UCLAs travel schedule is going to be HORRENDOUS- other than USC, their closest conference mate is a 3 hour flight away, and they will have to do some east coast swings with 6 hour flights.
So, I think the folks who say that UCLA is competitive int he B1G are likely right if you ignore the context, and the people who say UCLA is going to struggle mightily in the B1G are likely right because of the context.
Basketball will still be solid, and likely will be even more polished for the tournament, however, winning the B1G 10 Basketball Tournament will be a challenge

I think that USC will be better positioned to do well, but will struggle at times, especially on the road at places like Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State with huge crowds and bad weather.

UCLA is different, and has less NIL, is always below USC on recruiting, and depending on how the offenses shape up, it will be a challenge.

What are the divisions going to be again?

And the most important question, are B1G referees as incompetent as PAC refs?

There are some internet rumors that the TV deal is going to pay each school roughly $25 million.
IF this is the case it's time to head to the Big12.

take it for what it's worth

Last edited:
His logic is pretty solid, with lots of flaws, but the PAC 12 is toast at this point.
I think Arizona and Utah to the Big 12 is fine, and Arizona and Colorado to the SEC
Oregon and Washington can go to the B1G 10, and then a G5 West Coast PAC can be formed with smaller programs like SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico, Boise State, etc.
I actually feel like there had to be a secret conversation between Rick George and Prime about going to the SEC or as a consolation the BIG 12 in the bigger picture and that Deion will essentially have "HIS" program here at Colorado that is 100% molded in his vision, which is a powerful thing for him to have total control and total ability to do what he wants in a central location with plenty of resources.

His logic is pretty solid, with lots of flaws, but the PAC 12 is toast at this point.
I think Arizona and Utah to the Big 12 is fine, and Arizona and Colorado to the SEC
Oregon and Washington can go to the B1G 10, and then a G5 West Coast PAC can be formed with smaller programs like SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico, Boise State, etc.
I actually feel like there had to be a secret conversation between Rick George and Prime about going to the SEC or as a consolation the BIG 12 in the bigger picture and that Deion will essentially have "HIS" program here at Colorado that is 100% molded in his vision, which is a powerful thing for him to have total control and total ability to do what he wants in a central location with plenty of resources.
The problem w your scenario is that it requires the B1G and SEC to be accepting of Oregon, Wash, CU and Arizona. If the conferences wanted them right now, it would have already happened. The SEC is not anxiously waiting for CU to decide they want to join the SEC.

The problem w your scenario is that it requires the B1G and SEC to be accepting of Oregon, Wash, CU and Arizona. If the conferences wanted them right now, it would have already happened. The SEC is not anxiously waiting for CU to decide they want to join the SEC.
Wait, you mean CU can't just call up the SEC and join?

I figured it was like when Joe signed our office up for the softball league. He called, we signed some papers and the office manager cut a check and they added us to next year's schedule.

Edit: now that I think about it, the paperwork and check came later. Joe called, and they added us to the schedule, just like that. I figured all sports leagues work the same way, and it'd seem the southern ones would be really friendly and easy to join.

Eventually, Commish K is going to have to present a number for the schools to consider. As I’ve said, I can believe that number will be disappointing, partly because of poor leverage for the league.

If the number is above $30 million, I think it’s more likely than not that the PAC 12 holds together for another short term deal.

If the number is below $30 million, then it’s likely the League dissolves. I would place the greatest likelihood that the Big 12 would be where CU lands. The Big 12 clearly wants to expand west, and the Denver and Phoenix markets make the most sense. I’d say 85% chance this happens in a dissolution scenario.

I really don’t see the Big Ten as much of an option anymore. If the PAC 12 dissolves, they will take Washington and Oregon. I’ve heard that USC doesn’t want Oregon, but that sounds more like fan noise to me. If they take four, then the two Bay Area schools, Cal and Furd, make too much sense. I’d say 5% chance.

I see the SEC as a remote possibility, but a slightly more likely landing spot for CU, especially if the Big Ten adds the northwest PAC 12 schools. The SEC may want some geographic balance with the big ten and the Phoenix and Denver markets would be best available. 10% chance.

Wait, you mean CU can't just call up the SEC and join?

I figured it was like when Joe signed our office up for the softball league. He called, we signed some papers and the office manager cut a check and they added us to next year's schedule.

Edit: now that I think about it, the paperwork and check came later. Joe called, and they added us to the schedule, just like that. I figured all sports leagues work the same way, and it'd seem the southern ones would be really friendly and easy to join.
You really saw that bit through. I admire that.

The SEC isn't adding any current Pac-12 school. That's less realistic than the B1G which isn't realistic at this moment.
Again, the only scenario I see where the SEC gets involved is if the Big has picked up more PAC schools and the SEC wants some kind of balance in geographical reach. I still called that possibility “remote”, because I think the SEC is fine being exactly what its name implies, a southeastern conference.

Again, the only scenario I see where the SEC gets involved is if the Big has picked up more PAC schools and the SEC wants some kind of balance in geographical reach. I still called that possibility “remote”, because I think the SEC is fine being exactly what its name implies, a southeastern conference.
ESPN is going to have something (a lot) to say, though, and they are missing two time zones that I think will factor in at some point

ESPN is going to have something (a lot) to say, though, and they are missing two time zones that I think will factor in at some point
And that’s my point. If Fox has coast to coast coverage with the Big, then maybe ESPN pushes the SEC to grab a few schools out west.

For the Big to grab CU, I think they would have to add six, since I think we are behind UW, UO, Cal, and Stanford. UCLA alone would lobby very hard for Cal given the weird compensation that they may have to pay for leaving the PAC.

In the end, CU back in the Big 12 seems like the overwhelming favorite at this juncture, if the per school payout for the remaining PAC sucks.

Back to the Big 12 after it has lost every important school?

team america vomit GIF

The SEC and the B1G have to now think like the AFL and the NFL did.
Coast to coast balance
Big NFL like markets that have some of the best college potential
Colorado (Denver), Kansas (Kansas City), Arizona (Phoenix), Washington (Seattle), Oregon (Portland) are real properties
UO UW STANFORD NOTRE DAME to the B1G
CU AZ KS FSU CLEM MIA to the SEC

The networks just want a clean product at this point

That's wishful thinking bro. There is no big time brand left in the west that's not already in the SEC or B1G. No one is dying to have Oregon and Washington. Colorado until proven otherwise is right there at the bottom of the PAC in terms of value with Oregon State. That said, things are quickly changing but if you go back the last 5 seasons, Colorado overall value is 11th of 12.

I don't see any team left getting an invite to the SEC. The B1G is different. They aren't adding anyone right now but in six years, who knows. Colorado might be appealing enough to be considered and valued on that level in time. As of right now, no one is really talking about Colorado outside of the Big XII and isn't that even worth it for Colorado. Probably not. The PAC-12 offers a lot of academic value that just makes sense for Colorado.

That's wishful thinking bro. There is no big time brand left in the west that's not already in the SEC or B1G. No one is dying to have Oregon and Washington. Colorado until proven otherwise is right there at the bottom of the PAC in terms of value with Oregon State. That said, things are quickly changing but if you go back the last 5 seasons, Colorado overall value is 11th of 12.

I don't see any team left getting an invite to the SEC. The B1G is different. They aren't adding anyone right now but in six years, who knows. Colorado might be appealing enough to be considered and valued on that level in time. As of right now, no one is really talking about Colorado outside of the Big XII and isn't that even worth it for Colorado. Probably not. The PAC-12 offers a lot of academic value that just makes sense for Colorado.
When one uses the term “remote” in conjunction with chance, can that be described as wishful thinking? I personally don’t think so. A lot of favorable dominoes would have to fall in CUs favor to get either an invite to the Big Ten or SEC.

When one uses the term “remote” in conjunction with chance, can that be described as wishful thinking? I personally don’t think so. A lot of favorable dominoes would have to fall in CUs favor to get either an invite to the Big Ten or SEC.
The SEC hasn't shown any interest in adding teams beyond tier 1 college football brands.

The B1G literally added the crown jewels of the west coast and shunned quality brands like Oregon and Washington. You gotta be honest with yourself. There is no room for Colorado for expansion at that top end level. Maybe that changes in 5 years but for the previous 5 and the next 3. It won't. Regardless of what Deion does, it's always going to be, once Deion is gone, there is no value in Colorado and he will just leave. While that might not be true, until CU is five years in with Prime and he sticks, then it's different.

Then it's for real but as of right now, your overall value is 11th of 12 teams currently in the Pac-12. That's not going to get you into the B1G or SEC. Even being 3rd won't like Oregon. Facts are, Colorado has to have 5 years of a elite track record. USC hasn't won in over 12 years yet are still the elite brand of the west as well as UCLA. We gotta be realistic. Colorado is building something great but that's not going to sway anyone. Regardless of media, TV, or anything beyond social media within the current moments. Companies give media contracts based on track record.

Back