What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

If you really think about it, it shouldn’t be that hard to pull off. CU is the only P5 program in the state, and if we can draw 45k to watch a dog **** team go 1-11, imagine what we could do with a team that consistently ranks in the top 20? Remember, the stadium is basically the same size as it was in 1990 with about 2MM more people in the Denver Metro Area. CU- Boulder churns out over 7,000 graduates every year. Those are people who are often already fans. Keep them engaged, and don’t do anything stupid (like hiring Karl Dorrell), and the crowds will take care of themselves.

If the program is successful under Prime, they will need to first figure out a way to budget at least $20m/year to his and his staff's salary. On top of that, they will need to ensure a fully funded football operations department and an increased recruiting budget. Once those items are secured, they can work with Prime himself on the idea of stadium renovations and expansion. To me, the more they can involve CP in and the more "ownership"/control they can give him in the program and AD, the better the odds are he retires from coaching as a Buff, which is what will be the main driver of consistently selling out season tickets at basically any capacity.

If the program is successful under Prime, they will need to first figure out a way to budget at least $20m/year to his and his staff's salary. On top of that, they will need to ensure a fully funded football operations department and an increased recruiting budget. Once those items are secured, they can work with Prime himself on the idea of stadium renovations and expansion. To me, the more they can involve CP in and the more "ownership"/control they can give him in the program and AD, the better the odds are he retires from coaching as a Buff, which is what will be the main driver of consistently selling out season tickets at basically any capacity.
You just need to stop with all the rational thinking. That kind of **** has no place in allbuffs.

dare to dream.

Prime is probably gone in 3 or whatever but it is not certain. ride the time he is here, learn from it, build up our strength... if he stays, it will be a cherry on top of the sundae.

also, we are going to get a better tv deal than the truckstop 12. we will not have to sell our souls or degrade our academics to do it.

and CU will be in the national championship game under Prime.

so it is written and so shall it be.

Every time I hear somebody tell me that Prime will never stay more than three years, my first gut reaction is to agree with them. But then I remember that until he went to Alabama, Saban never stayed in one place more than 3-4 years. Lots of coaches bounce around until they find the place they want to be for the rest of their career. If we are fortunate, and show the kind of commitment that will be necessary, there’s always the possibility that Prime will stick around. I’m going to suffer under the delusion that he has found his forever home and will lead us back to the promised land until proven otherwise.

You guys need to stop the delusion that Prime sticks around for more than 3 years and just enjoy the ride
private-ryan-tom-crews.gif

While CP is probably gone faster than we hope, I do think this entire thing has already shown to be successful.

Top tier recruiting can happen prior to any success on the field

Even yak can't get goddamn season tickets, demand is through the roof

Spring game is an actual event. Remember when we had baby bitches not even having a spring game? Excite the freaking fans, that's their entire job

Good assistants will come here for the right guy, we don't need to take 3 months to hire a HS OL coach ever again

So when CP rolls out, hopefully the admin doesn't babymode and roll in another KD or MM or JE or DH. Even MT disappointed a bit, but I think he had the right idea at least. Get another one of those and keep the process going. The last 20 years should never happen again

Whether Prime stays more than 3 or not isn’t my concern. My concern is that CU has finally decided to invest in football to the point they are willing to pay a Top 10ish salary. If they make that commitment and if Prime establishes a winning culture, football success can become self sustaining.

If you really think about it, it shouldn’t be that hard to pull off. CU is the only P5 program in the state, and if we can draw 45k to watch a dog **** team go 1-11, imagine what we could do with a team that consistently ranks in the top 20? Remember, the stadium is basically the same size as it was in 1990 with about 2MM more people in the Denver Metro Area. CU- Boulder churns out over 7,000 graduates every year. Those are people who are often already fans. Keep them engaged, and don’t do anything stupid (like hiring Karl Dorrell), and the crowds will take care of themselves.
Maybe. Hopefully. But playing devil's advocate, attendance has been declining across college football for more than a decade now. The cost and hassle of attending games combined with the ease of access to every game on ultra high def big screen TVs has led to a lot more fans enjoying from home (unless you're looking for the PAC 12 Network of course).

Maybe. Hopefully. But playing devil's advocate, attendance has been declining across college football for more than a decade now. The cost and hassle of attending games combined with the ease of access to every game on ultra high def big screen TVs has led to a lot more fans enjoying from home (unless you're looking for the PAC 12 Network of course).
That’s all true. But it’s also true that we aren’t talking about putting in 100,000+ seats. Honestly, we should be able to fill a 70,000+ seat stadium. I would feel differently if we were one of several major D-1 programs. The only competition is the Broncos, and that’s been the case forever. It’s possible to support both a pro team and a college team. Lots of people do it.

I'm not sure it needs to be 70,000, but I've thought it would be cool to add seating, concessions, nice restrooms and a super big scoreboard screen on the south end. But I think the west side and the northwest corner probably come first. (And I'll probably be 36 before any of it happens.)

While CP is probably gone faster than we hope, I do think this entire thing has already shown to be successful.

Top tier recruiting can happen prior to any success on the field

Even yak can't get goddamn season tickets, demand is through the roof

Spring game is an actual event. Remember when we had baby bitches not even having a spring game? Excite the freaking fans, that's their entire job

Good assistants will come here for the right guy, we don't need to take 3 months to hire a HS OL coach ever again

So when CP rolls out, hopefully the admin doesn't babymode and roll in another KD or MM or JE or DH. Even MT disappointed a bit, but I think he had the right idea at least. Get another one of those and keep the process going. The last 20 years should never happen again
Wildly successful. There are schools that would pay +$10-12M a year or higher for Prime today after seeing what’s going on. And we should match and exceed the highest offer. Possibly before an offer is ever made if we’re being smart about it.

This blueprint we created should be etched in stone in the presidents, AD and chancellors office never to be altered by anyone in the future.

Whether Prime stays more than 3 or not isn’t my concern. My concern is that CU has finally decided to invest in football to the point they are willing to pay a Top 10ish salary. If they make that commitment and if Prime establishes a winning culture, football success can become self sustaining.
Top ten in the Pac 12. Yes

Top ten in the nation. Not even close

Wildly successful. There are schools that would pay +$10-12M a year or higher for Prime today after seeing what’s going on. And we should match and exceed the highest offer. Possibly before an offer is ever made if we’re being smart about it.

This blueprint we created should be etched in stone in the presidents, AD and chancellors office never to be altered by anyone in the future.
The problem is, Prime is one of one, and no matter how much CU invests in football, we are likely never going to see better recruiting or more national attention than what we get during the Prime years. He's probably the only guy who can consistently get 4 and 5* kids from Florida and Georgia to consider Colorado. So while CU can be a really good job in the post Prime era, I think we're truly going to see CU's ceiling over the next 3-5 years.

The problem is, Prime is one of one, and no matter how much CU invests in football, we are likely never going to see better recruiting or more national attention than what we get during the Prime years. He's probably the only guy who can consistently get 4 and 5* kids from Florida and Georgia to consider Colorado. So while CU can be a really good job in the post Prime era, I think we're truly going to see CU's ceiling over the next 3-5 years.

Definitely, but I do think there's a tier below the CP level that we'd all be pretty happy with. I mean if CU threw support like this behind a Tom Herman or something, while he certainly isn't going to pull Charles Kellys or Cormani McClains, he might still haul in some good talent and have some success.

It'll also help if the time comes, we don't hand over the Ferrari keys to a Slick Rick again, maybe instead keep the momentum going even if there's a drop-off

My preference would be a complete gut and build while maintaining the historic architecture. That would mean a season of games at Empower Field, in my mind. But it’ll never happen in my remaining time on earth! :LOL:

It’ll have to happen at some point. Folsom is well beyond its design life with deteriorating infrastructure, crumbling altogether out of date facilities.

It’s more likely they will come up with some sort of phased plan if and when they do any renovations.
As long as they keep the troughs!
Those are priceless.
CU really knows how to build Men's bathrooms

Hard to disagree with that. What I’m taking away the most is we need a charismatic, pro-social media, relate to the kids, football icon / legend as the head coach at Colorado. Is that asking too much? 😂

Filming the players as often as he does is genius. No one has done that before and we should always do that going forward. So damn easy and simple yet no one does it.

You’re right, he is one of one and cloning is too far off into the future. We have to do things differently at Colorado to break through. That commitment to hitting home runs is what I’m talking about.

If you were to ask me who is someone who is in the ballpark, I’d say someone like Michael Strahan. NFL legend, on TV a bunch. Not as cool but in the same but in the ballpark.

And the last tweet he sent was about Prime. Anyway, I’m just saying there will be guys who want to do what Prime is doing here and we should be open to giving those guys a chance if it means we stay in the spotlight and recruit like crazy.

dare to dream.

Prime is probably gone in 3 or whatever but it is not certain. ride the time he is here, learn from it, build up our strength... if he stays, it will be a cherry on top of the sundae.

also, we are going to get a better tv deal than the truckstop 12. we will not have to sell our souls or degrade our academics to do it.

and CU will be in the national championship game under Prime.

so it is written and so shall it be.
Coach Prime has a huge ego.
He wants to be the best.
He can never be considered the best college coach by jumping to their SEC and taking over an Auburn or Texas.
He would never be in the same sentence as Saban. But if he were to take the worst team and turn them into a champion and keep them there then there would be a lot of room to call him the greatest.
Feed the ego. He doesn't want to take the easy road.

Coach Prime has a huge ego.
He wants to be the best.
He can never be considered the best college coach by jumping to their SEC and taking over an Auburn or Texas.
He would never be in the same sentence as Saban. But if he were to take the worst team and turn them into a champion and keep them there then there would be a lot of room to call him the greatest.
Feed the ego. He doesn't want to take the easy road.
This quote from the recent ESPN article stood out to me
"I'm a need-to-be-needed type person," Sanders told ESPN. "If you show me a need, then I'm there, but if there's no need, I don't really have a place. That's what I do, that's what I've done, I've always been that type of guy. There's a tremendous need [at Colorado], and I don't just think it's all about football. It far surpasses football on the field."

Maybe this doesn't mean he's here for the next 10 years, but I just think he's a different person who isn't just keeping an eye out for the next best thing. I think he sees what Boulder is (not diverse at all, but very open and accepting) and how he can be the driver of social change, in conjunction with elevating the football program.

Colorado may lose Coach Prime to another program. Money and program support should not be the reason. He is worth the investment.
I think it is most likely we use Prime to his next 'calling'.

His brand doesn't work by doing the same thing for a long time (imo at least)

I think it is most likely we use Prime to his next 'calling'.

His brand doesn't work by doing the same thing for a long time (imo at least)
This is where we disagree. Prime doesn’t want to coach in the NFL. If he gets the institutional support necessary to win big at Colorado and does so, he can have an epic run and ride off into the sunset of retirement in 10-15 years.

This is where we disagree. Prime doesn’t want to coach in the NFL. If he gets the institutional support necessary to win big at Colorado and does so, he can have an epic run and ride off into the sunset of retirement in 10-15 years.
His next "calling" could be outside of coaching like how we lost Mac. That's my bigger concern than getting poached since it's out of CU's control to prevent.

His next "calling" could be outside of coaching like how we lost Mac. That's my bigger concern than getting poached since it's out of CU's control to prevent.
Yep, me too. Very little concern about losing to a coaching change.

Politics, media, religion, non-profit, business.... He could be taken anywhere

Back