What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

The B1G adding Stanford and Cal makes a lot of sense to me (unfortunately).
  • Complete ownership of California market with USC, UCL, Cal, and Furd.
  • Easiest travel for LA and Bay Area pod
  • Removes odd compensation clause for UCLA to Cal
  • Bay area is large media market
  • Academic cred second to none
  • Olympic sports to pair with USC/UCLA
I realize everything is personal opinion, and I wish it weren’t the case, but CU is probably, at best, #6 on the B1G list behind Ore, W, Cal, Furd, and Norte Dame. You could make the case that Arizona and ASU are basically in a three way tie with CU for #6.

B1G would have to go to 24 for CU to get an invite in my opinion, but it’s all conjecture.
CU is most likely also behind several ACC programs (UNC, Virginia) I assume Clemson and FSU to SEC

Star Wars Doom GIF

I’ve never understood this argument - ND and Stanford have never been in the same conference. Notre Dame’s decision to join or not join the BIG will have nothing to do with Stanford IMO.
They’ve played each other almost every year for the last 35 years, so similar to be a conference foe.

Exactly, not being in the same conference doesn’t seem to be an issue at all. So I don’t buy the “Stanford is attractive to the BIG because of their interest in ND” angle.
In a mega conference B1G, perhaps that gets disrupted. Norte Dame, as an independent, has been fortunate to be able to schedule USC and Stanford for games inside the conference schedule. That could get tricky for scheduling. When Norte Dame can’t schedule, they join somewhere. Mega B1G perhaps forces that.

After this many months, it‘s pretty obvious that the Big 12 is not the boat. It’s the life raft. As a sailor, the old adage is that you step up from a sinking boat onto a life raft. I think that’s the case here.

In a mega conference B1G, perhaps that gets disrupted. Norte Dame, as an independent, has been fortunate to be able to schedule USC and Stanford for games inside the conference schedule. That could get tricky for scheduling. When Norte Dame can’t schedule, they join somewhere. Mega B1G perhaps forces that.
Fine but scheduling Stanford will have nothing to do with Notre Dame’s decision to join a conference - they can continue to schedule Stanford every year, no problem if they want. Therefore the ND/Stanford relationship does not make Stanford more appealing to the BIG.

Fine but scheduling Stanford will have nothing to do with Notre Dame’s decision to join a conference - they can continue to schedule Stanford every year, no problem if they want. Therefore the ND/Stanford relationship does not make Stanford more appealing to the BIG.
Point taken. It‘s hard to quantify the S/ND relationship.

You're not taking this guy with just under 3000 followers seriously are you?

I'm not taking anyone seriously, I don't think anyone knows what the hell is going on. Some of these reporters might have a line into a conference or network (they might even work there), but I doubt an ESPN reporter knows what Apple is thinking or what the FOXB1G is planning. McMurphy probably does have good sources at the B12. Wilner probably does have good sources at the P12. But they don't know **** beyond that is my view

i would be happy to poach ku but we probably get paired with them i guess? then sdsu and utah...?

always good to add basketball schools to a football conference.

What would you think about NBC Universal becoming the partner for PAC12 ?

New rumor has them in discussions. An occasional game on the big daddy NBC Network (can't be much due to Notre Dame and BIG10 Saturday night)
Games on USA Network and streaming on Peacock. No news on $$

KU has a pretty massive following if we're going in the direction of streaming subs.
Stunning to me we didn’t grab KU when we had the chance. Great example of media value analysis going horribly wrong.

Outside of KU, I don’t have a strong #2 from that conference I’d want. Maybe TCU.

Stunning to me we didn’t grab KU when we had the chance. Great example of media value analysis going horribly wrong.

Outside of KU, I don’t have a strong #2 from that conference I’d want. Maybe TCU.
I think that the powers that be in the Pac-12 love Houston even above KU. Not AAU, but comfortably R1 in a massive market with a great record on liberal/diversity issues. If the Pac could add 4 with SDSU, KU, SMU and Houston they'll move so fast on it that our heads will spin.

I think that the powers that be in the Pac-12 love Houston even above KU. Not AAU, but comfortably R1 in a massive market with a great record on liberal/diversity issues. If the Pac could add 4 with SDSU, KU, SMU and Houston they'll move so fast on it that our heads will spin.
Houston is a dark horse. Curious what happens to them with P5 access. They could rise the ranks, similar to a Utah but maybe better. Also, #7 Nielsen market. Probably another bad miss by the P12 presidents.

I searched if they are a commuter school and this is what came back on their own website:

“Commuter students make up about 85% of the entire undergraduate student population. Remember that many of your classmates and friends on campus are also commuting and may be a great resource to you in terms of advice, experience, and even parking secrets.”

UH probably got knocked for this by the P12 presidents first time around when B12 were on the ropes but I agree they would look past this now to get into the market + athletic upside. Who wouldn’t want to recruit Houston.

There’s an article from Wilner after UT and OU left the SEC in 2021 about which schools to poach. I remember reading it but forgot what it says. Found it now and he’s coming to similar conclusions. Basically it’s Houston (not in B12 at the time) is the 1st choice, then KU and TCU. Although he says no to KU / TCU bc of media value.

SDSU's AD put out a stat where they have the best combined football/basketball record among D-I schools since the 2010-2011 season. If someone had asked me out of the blue what school has the best combined record since 2010 SDSU wouldn't have been in my top 20 guesses.

Back