What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Would be a better solution than Big12 or maybe even BIG. AAU schools, east coast to west coast exposure; and better recruiting grounds than Teti g to pull from BIG footprint
I would rather be with 7+ other PAC schools in a PAC/ ACC mashup than 5 other PAC schools in the B1G. The only thing that favors the B1G among those options is Nebraska on the schedule every year.

There is no research payoff. As for ESPN, I don't see what's in it for them, but I would love to be wrong. Even better scenario is just top 8 of PAC + top 8 of ACC if we're really dreaming.
That's never going to happen. The other ACC teams have no reason to hang themselves. Whereas the Pac-12 literally is on its last year in terms of major TV deal. They are far more likely to do each man for itself.

I do believe there is a serious research gain when you add schools like UVA, UNC, GT, Duke, and other schools that are big in terms of research with the west coast powerhouses in research.

ESPN will have to be convinced that 210 million plus is something they will be willing to do. I do believe they will give 30 million plus for 6 of the PAC-12 schools as we seen with Big XII offers but 420 million for the ACC and the PAC-12 schools. That's a lot to eat for ESPN and will this make UNC, FSU, Clemson, and Virginia happy or do they want more.

That's never going to happen. The other ACC teams have no reason to hang themselves. Whereas the Pac-12 literally is on its last year in terms of major TV deal. They are far more likely to do each man for itself.

I do believe there is a serious research gain when you add schools like UVA, UNC, GT, Duke, and other schools that are big in terms of research with the west coast powerhouses in research.

ESPN will have to be convinced that 210 million plus is something they will be willing to do. I do believe they will give 30 million plus for 6 of the PAC-12 schools as we seen with Big XII offers but 420 million for the ACC and the PAC-12 schools. That's a lot to eat for ESPN and will this make UNC, FSU, Clemson, and Virginia happy or do they want more
Oh I agree it's not going to happen, but that's why I said "dreaming." Too many parts to move that each require on the other to be feasible. Would be damn cool though. As for research, research collaboration has nothing to do with athletics. Most researchers don't even know what conference their school is in. Any collaboration that should exist between CU and UVA/ UNC/ etc already does.

The more and more i think about this. The less likely it is.

The ACC is split. You have the teams the B1G covet which is Miami and of course, ND which is a partial member wants to stay Independent.

You have UVA, VA Tech, NC State, UNC, Clemson, and FSU which are all coveted by the SEC.

In their minds, they see themselves as needing those 80-100 million dollar deals a year. Is 10 million more a year enough to entice them. Idk since the GOR is a bitch.

Then you have Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford who believe they are just B1G getting their deal together for an invite even if they have to take on less money.

ESPN is also in a tough spot. Adding 6 teams from the ACC could cost 480-600m a year. That kills off the ACC value but doesn't kill off the contract with them. Or do you kill off the Pac-12 and cost yourself 420 million as this potential deal states.

I actually think this is real and being pushed by the lower 7 of the ACC. I just don't know if the upper 7 like it and does ESPN like it. Technically speaking, it makes some financial sense for ESPN.

Not much different from what the Big 12 would do with a GOR since the ACC’s GOR is based on the Big 12’s GOR.
The Big XII previous TV deal ends in 2024. The same time as the Pac-12 and the new GOR starts in the fall of 2024 for the Big XII.

The ACC has to do something. If they could get out of their deal, they would have by now and unequal postseason rev share is peanuts. It’s arguable that Clemson and FSU are in a worse spot than CU right now
They just agreed to unequal split based on football season success.

Yes that’s what I said. Unequal share of postseason revenue. It could potentially add $10m at the very high end for a school like Clemson or FSU. That’s nothing
Here's a possible plan.

All of the teams get 10 million but put it into a pot for postseason success such as making the ACC playoffs, national playoff appearance and wins, NC win, and bowl game appearance for others which is a million or more depending on the success of the confernece in the national picture.

That's 210 million in a pot. Maybe this could convince your Clemson, FSU, and UNC. I doubt it will move schools like VA Tech, Miami, or UVA who have rarely had national success. I believe the PAC-12 schools will be all in. It's a much better option than what's currently on the table and gives them a legit counter if the B1G wants them and wants to give a lot less than the full amount

From the Utah 247 board…

For those without a sub - Basically, guys says a Syracuse booster claims the ACC wants to add the 7 Pac 10 AAU members for form an “ACC West” playing 1 game across the other two ACC Divisions. Claims ESPN likes it and has agreed to increasing current ACC deal by $10m per school.

Here’s the best part of the rumor… ESPN would take the game slots needed for that from the Big 12, which would be relegated to ESPN+ exclusively.

If true sign me up.

That's 9 million more than the B12 deal. Is ESPN open to giving 210 million more to the ACC when they have the ultimate sweetheart deal with an ironclad GOR? This is definitely a win-win for

Utah
Colorado
Stanford
Cal
Oregon
Washington
Arizona

Definitely a win for basketball

The research payoff is massive but this is all about ESPN
Huge win all around.

It would be $140M per year more for the ACC from ESPN.

The 7 P12 schools would be getting $280M ($40M apiece).

At first glance, $420M total from ESPN seems impossible. But… $280M for the best parts of the remaining P12? That’s a steal for a network.

It’s the added $140M for the ACC that seems unlikely but maybe the math maths out when you factor in the new ACC network subscriber geos and value from the new matchups? Plus it puts an end to the noise about schools defecting to Fox.

But my point is that there is no short term for the ACC. 13 more years unless they can get the majority of the schools to vote to dissolve

Just guessing here, but it gives lawyers more time to find a loophole in the GOR, if there even is one. It also lessens the impact of the GOR as time goes on making it more of a possibility that the 2 sides can negotiate a buyout since the financial impact decreases as time goes on. Plus if the B1G or SEC decide to take some of the ACC schools then that conference would also help with the buyout I would think.

Just guessing here, but it gives lawyers more time to find a loophole in the GOR, if there even is one. It also lessens the impact of the GOR as time goes on making it more of a possibility that the 2 sides can negotiate a buyout since the financial impact decreases as time goes on. Plus if the B1G or SEC decide to take some of the ACC schools then that conference would also help with the buyout I would think.
The issue with breaking the ACC GOR is that the ACC owns all of your stadium profits and your image rights. Basically, the ACC would own your house and for all sports. No one wants to do that deal. The exit fee is not a problem.

From the Utah 247 board…

For those without a sub - Basically, guys says a Syracuse booster claims the ACC wants to add the 7 Pac 10 AAU members for form an “ACC West” playing 1 game across the other two ACC Divisions. Claims ESPN likes it and has agreed to increasing current ACC deal by $10m per school.

Here’s the best part of the rumor… ESPN would take the game slots needed for that from the Big 12, which would be relegated to ESPN+ exclusively.

Feels like more talking out of the ass. It at least it’s something I like to hear.

The issue with breaking the ACC GOR is that the ACC owns all of your stadium profits and your image rights. Basically, the ACC would own your house and for all sports. No one wants to do that deal. The exit fee is not a problem.

Yes I get all that but maybe lawyers can find a loophole. And as time goes on the impact of the GOR goes down incrementally year by year. Now granted, if someone were to leave the ACC even with say 10 years left on the GOR and they had to forfeit their full media rights for the remaining 10 years that would still be far too signifcant for a school to leave. Lawyers would still need to come up with some sort of negotiated buyout.

From the Utah 247 board…

After reading again the last sentence can't happen. The BIG12 has a clause in their current contract that limits the amount of times a school has to play on ESPN +.

Yes I get all that but maybe lawyers can find a loophole. And as time goes on the impact of the GOR goes down incrementally year by year. Now granted, if someone were to leave the ACC even with say 10 years left on the GOR and they had to forfeit their full media rights for the remaining 10 years that would still be far too signifcant for a school to leave. Lawyers would still need to come up with some sort of negotiated buyout.
The contracts don’t take 3-5 years to go through. Lawyers from multiple billion dollar institutions have assuredly been reviewing every word of the contracts involved for a couple years now. If there was a loophole, they’d have found it and played that card by now, which is why the unequal postseason rev share has been agreed to.

Netflix Bong GIF by Blown Away

What if they left the ACC contract in place with an 8 game conference schedule, pick up the P12 at B12 valuation, then create a superleague with top 6-7 in ACC and top 5-7 in P12

ESPN could do supplemental $20MM payments to PACC members UVA, VA Tech, NC State, UNC, Clemson, FSU, Miami, OR, WA, CU, UT, AZ, ASU.

That way they could maintain 2 playoff spots, have a quasi super league without bottom feeders, and even do some creative scheduling with the SEC.

What if they left the ACC contract in place with an 8 game conference schedule, pick up the P12 at B12 valuation, then create a superleague with top 6-7 in ACC and top 5-7 in P12

ESPN could do supplemental $20MM payments to PACC members UVA, VA Tech, NC State, UNC, Clemson, FSU, Miami, OR, WA, CU, UT, AZ, ASU.

That way they could maintain 2 playoff spots, have a quasi super league without bottom feeders, and even do some creative scheduling with the SEC.
yeah right whatever GIF

Zero chance. We spoke about this either a page or two back.

From the Utah 247 board…

Atlantic Coastal Conference.

American Coastal Conference, ACC

Pacific Atlantic Coastal Conference, PACC

Back