What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Why doesn't the Big 12 also go after Creighton for Basketball, Volleyball, and Baseball.
The next big rumble is the Basketball Tournament, as there are way more people saying that there is so much money over there to be had, so why allow it to potentially go to 300 schools, instead of the big dogs.
Because **** Nebraska.

We get more students / alumni from the P12 and B1G footprint compared to the B12 and it’s not even close.

Do people think we’re getting students from Kansas, and Oklahoma?

We get more students from Illinois than Texas.
California is a net exporter of incoming college freshman. There are not enough schools and not enough space in the ones that there are in Cali. This is why Notre Dame likes to play football there and have a satellite campus in California. Its likely a minor factor in the invitation to invite SC and UCLA since the midwest is suffering population loss. Out of state tuition pays the bills. The B1G also has alums there trying to escape that god awful weather that could hopefully donate a little more.

I agree that football driven realignment is about done and basketball driven realignment is what the Big 12 has been looking at in this case perhaps after the Four Corners schools join.

Maybe the next realignment thread needs to begin in the basketball board. ;)

I agree that football driven realignment is about done and basketball driven realignment is what the Big 12 has been looking at in this case perhaps after the Four Corners schools join.

Maybe the next realignment thread needs to begin in the basketball board. ;)
The problem is, basketball doesn’t drive nearly enough revenue to justify adding an entire institution to a conference and splitting the pie. The Big 12 going after Gonzaga and maybe UConn is one thing since they wouldn’t be getting even close to full media shares, but any discussion about hoops driving any further P5 realignment is fantasy

The problem is, basketball doesn’t drive nearly enough revenue to justify adding an entire institution to a conference and splitting the pie. The Big 12 going after Gonzaga and maybe UConn is one thing since they wouldn’t be getting even close to full media shares, but any discussion about hoops driving any further P5 realignment is fantasy

College football is going to be more regionalized if it hasn't happened and that will eventually limit the money pool for football. The NCAA MBB tourney is going to get expanded sooner than later and given the tourney money, there will be more realignment. That already has been recommended by a NCAA committee and younger sports fans are favoring basketball over football.

California is a net exporter of incoming college freshman. There are not enough schools and not enough space in the ones that there are in Cali. This is why Notre Dame likes to play football there and have a satellite campus in California. Its likely a minor factor in the invitation to invite SC and UCLA since the midwest is suffering population loss. Out of state tuition pays the bills. The B1G also has alums there trying to escape that god awful weather that could hopefully donate a little more.
Yes California is a major exporter. But even if you remove the top 3 for CU after instate (Cali 11%, Illinois 3%, Texas 3%) we don’t get students from B12 states at all.

On UCLA, could be a different story. Universities post data about who they see as their peers for benchmarking. The B1G schools tend to list UCLA as a peer. That may have played some factor in it (they fit) in addition to the media market.

CU posts this data. Here’s what it says.

https://www.colorado.edu/oda/instit...-data/peer-comparisons/cdhe-peer-institutions

Colorado’s peers:

Pac-12: 5 (UA, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, UW)

Big Ten: 12 (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, MSU, Minnesota, OSU, PSU, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin)

ACC: 4 (GaTech, UNC, Virginia, Pitt)

SEC: 4 (Florida, Missouri, Texas, TAMU)

B12: 2 (Kansas, ISU)

Speaks for itself. All of the B12 talk makes us look dumb. We just don’t see them at our level.

What’s also interesting is do other schools see CU as a peer?

I looked around. Some B1G list Colorado as a peer (Indiana, Nebraska). Some list different groups like Iowa (AAU and then another set). Some are not found (Wisconsin).

Tbh, not as many B1G list CU as I would have imagined. I wonder if there’s a backstory here. The university sees itself as a B1G school (clearly). It’s not returned nearly as much as UW (which lists us as a peer) or Cal. So it’s not that they won’t list us if we’re not in the B1G. Do we not know how to make friends? 😂

Idk if anyone knows what the history is w/ Colorado and the B1G but there’s something off about it.

As for other conferences, we’re not on B12 lists and they’re not on ours.

There’s a case to be made we’re thoroughly a P12 school and we should be good with that. They list us, we list them.

Not saying this has any bearing on realignment but I went down the rabbit hole and brought all of you with me.

College football is going to be more regionalized if it hasn't happened and that will eventually limit the money pool for football. The NCAA MBB tourney is going to get expanded sooner than later and given the tourney money, there will be more realignment. That already has been recommended by a NCAA committee and younger sports fans are favoring basketball over football.
Wut? The trend is going the other way. Were all leaving regionalized conferences (Big8, Pac10, SWC, SEC, ACC, WAC, Big East) for the two national conferences!?!?

This would have been the perfect chance for Rick George to tell Dodd that CU is staying. He didn't though.
Does it matter? People will spin it how they want to spin it
When CU switched from the Big 12 to the Pac-12, the switch was made one week after Mike Bohn, the AD at the time, talked about being proud members of the B12. That's why Rick George's proud P12 member talk was a huge deal because that is the talk that schools give before getting out of their current conference.

This would have been the perfect chance for Rick George to tell Dodd that CU is staying. He didn't though.

RG probably did shoot it down with CBS.

Dodd did a typical east coast hack that doesn’t even know the time zones west of the Mississippi as you can see in his latest Endeavor inspired piece. He is as trustworthy as that leftover salmon from a couple of weeks ago.

"I have no comment other than what I said last week," Colorado athletic director Rick George told CBS Sports while not exactly shooting down the Big 12 talks.

I found it interesting that the $31.7M CU would earn in 2025 as a member of the B12 didn't say anything about next year. Perhaps 100% ESPN+ except for games on linear channels if CU isn't getting B12 money just like in 2011 during CU's first season in the P12.

Does it matter? People will spin it how they want to spin it

I have seen that kind of comment too many times to know that means a school is on its way out the door of the conference they are currently in. RG's recent comments imply that CU is leaving the P12 barring a 11th hour change of heart.

If we're trying to maximize our options, and build leverage for potential realignment (or in negotiations with media partners for the PAC12), it is better to create ambiguity. There is literally no benefit for us to say "we're staying".
I would agree with that thinking but the context is about the B12 which is also targeting G5s. It’s bad for our brand. I don’t think the B12 option gives us any leverage in the P12. If they are targeting G5s, then we come across as no better than a G5. So, easily replaceable. Now if the ambiguity was about better conferences then it does strengthen our position w/ the P12.

I would agree with that thinking but the context is about the B12 which is also targeting G5s. It’s bad for our brand. I don’t think the B12 option gives us any leverage in the P12. If they are targeting G5s, then we come across as no better than a G5. So, easily replaceable. Now if the ambiguity was about better conferences then it does strengthen our position w/ the P12.
I think saying loud and clear "we have other options that will give us this X much money" is clear pressure on GK to finalize a deal that will pay at least that much (or acceptably close). RG wouldn't have left the statement that open without a reason.

I think saying loud and clear "we have other options that will give us this X much money" is clear pressure on GK to finalize a deal that will pay at least that much (or acceptably close). RG wouldn't have left the statement that open without a reason.
That’s a little different than the OP but I can see it this way, too. If it’s a kick in the a** to GK to get this done, I approve.

P12 is targeting G5 schools SDSU & SMU so what's the difference?

GK had plenty of time to get a deal done and yet has nothing to show for it. Stick a fork in the P12, that conference is done.

"I have no comment other than what I said last week," Colorado athletic director Rick George told CBS Sports while not exactly shooting down the Big 12 talks.

5421070c-c1c6-4554-a7f5-20b6c7837862_text.gif

P12 is targeting G5 schools SDSU & SMU so what's the difference?
You can’t see the difference? B12 added 4 G5s and are talking to more (UNLV, Fresno, etc.).

P12 is reluctantly going after 2 and it’s probably split if we even want to do that. If we do it’s because we have to not because we want to.

You can’t see the difference? B12 added 4 G5s and are talking to more (UNLV, Fresno, etc.).

P12 is reluctantly going after 2 and it’s probably split if we even want to do that. If we do it’s because we have to not because we want to.

Outside of the Four Corners schools, the ACC, B12, and P12 would have to shop G5 schools anyway. To make things worse, only Hawaii, Colorado State, New Mexico, USU, UNLV, and UNR meet the P12 minimum requirements of being classified as a R1 research status school out west. Only two other schools in the western US in FCS would meet that minimum requirement and that is UC Davis and Montana State. UConn is a R1 school and so is USF & Memphis.

I don't think the P12 & B12 are targeting Frenso State because they are R2 like Boise State. Notice the silence on Boise State despite their football success these days? That's why.

There's more to the comment, that imo makes it even clearer we are moving on. RG is leaning out the window of CP's F-650, waving goodbye.

"I have no comment other than what I said last week," Colorado athletic director Rick George said to CBS Sports. "We are proud members of the Pac-12. In a perfect world, we'd love to be in the Pac-12, but we also have to do what is right for Colorado at the end of the day."

Outside of the Four Corners schools, the ACC, B12, and P12 would have to shop G5 schools anyway. To make things worse, only Hawaii, Colorado State, New Mexico, USU, UNLV, and UNR meet the P12 minimum requirements of being classified as a R1 research status school out west. Only two other schools in the western US in FCS would meet that minimum requirement and that is UC Davis and Montana State. UConn is a R1 school and so is USF & Memphis.

I don't think the P12 & B12 are targeting Frenso State because they are R2 like Boise State. Notice the silence on Boise State despite their football success these days? That's why.
Every school you’re mentioning + the ones the B12 already added are dumpster diver schools. They suck. It’s a collection of garbage. I can’t stress the garbage part enough.

Shocker but I don’t believe the P12 should go down this road. Merge with the ACC. It’s the only logical path forward that includes a somewhat interesting future. I don’t care if it includes a bat**** crazy GoR we need to do it. The GoR part will get figured out down the road as it gets closer to the end date.

Back