What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

That pretty much sums it up.

The hate I am seeing for Larry right now doesn't compute. The dude played what he thought was a strong hand - he probably didn't realize the apathy across the Pac 12 fan base and I'm not sure the writing was on the wall on how fast the current cable model was going to erode.

We still have a real asset in play. We are at a disadvantage at the moment, but I would bet things change in the next 2-3 years - and yes, it may take that long.

Good thread,

The fact that LS hasn't tied us up with one of the major distrubutors could set us up very well if/when specialized streaming packages become the norm instead of comprehensive TV packages like cable/satellite provide now. Disney/Time Warner/Fox etc. may be very resistant to allowing programing to go that way. If Google and Apple and others need live sports to stream we can do it and be first in the door.

Good thread,

The fact that LS hasn't tied us up with one of the major distrubutors could set us up very well if/when specialized streaming packages become the norm instead of comprehensive TV packages like cable/satellite provide now. Disney/Time Warner/Fox etc. may be very resistant to allowing programing to go that way. If Google and Apple and others need live sports to stream we can do it and be first in the door.
Unfortunately, our cable contracts mean the pac 12 atreaming is only available to cable/dish subscribers.

Hopefully that changes when our contracts expire, or can be changed by negotiation.

The more I think about it, the more I think the pac 12 network should have been streaming only at the beginning. They could have started out only doing football and basketball, charged a flat fee to stream, say, all football content, or all basketball content, and skipped the massive overhead for having all of the live events they were required to supply, not to mention the studio overhead for the talking head shows that a streaming service just doesnt need. They could have then expanded to a full network when and if they had carriage contracts in place that didnt keep the conference from selling a stand alone streaming service to cord cutters.

Good thread,

In 2023?

yup down here in FL comcrap has the pac 12 buried in the 700's somewhere in standard def only! picture damm near unwatchable....meanwhile big 10 sec etc all in hd....thanks larry you idiot.....on top of almost 95% of the sports bars dont carry it down here

Where are you at? I'm in Tampa and have Brighthouse Network and its high def. Before that I had Dish and it was fine except when it rained I lost my picture so I switched to BHN. If you can get Brighthouse, switch as it's also the HighSchool sports network for the state.

As of February 1, with Dish, and not living in any area of the country that is in the Pac 12 footprint, I could no longer watch games live online. A woman from Pac 12 Networks called me and told me this was a decision made by Dish.

If it is still that way in the fall, my subscription to the Pac 12 networks will be gone. I had it for the two basketball tournaments. I can only watch anywhere what is being showing on the Pac 12 National channel on Dish. Often times, the game I want to see is on at 3 AM. I don't want to see the score and I'm not staying up until 3 AM to watch a basketball game. It was easy when I could watch online--until February 1.

I thought the whole idea of the Pac 12 Network was so Pac 12 fans around the country could see their teams. It's no longer true. Before the Pac 12 Networks, I paid CU to see the games and I'd happily pay a fee to see Colorado games online, either through CU or the Pac 12.

DGBImplosion.gif

train-implosion.gif

Hmm. So they didn't have anything in their contract that covers on line availability? You'd think all of these sorts of things would be spelled out in a contract.

As of February 1, with Dish, and not living in any area of the country that is in the Pac 12 footprint, I could no longer watch games live online. A woman from Pac 12 Networks called me and told me this was a decision made by Dish.

If it is still that way in the fall, my subscription to the Pac 12 networks will be gone. I had it for the two basketball tournaments. I can only watch anywhere what is being showing on the Pac 12 National channel on Dish. Often times, the game I want to see is on at 3 AM. I don't want to see the score and I'm not staying up until 3 AM to watch a basketball game. It was easy when I could watch online--until February 1.

I thought the whole idea of the Pac 12 Network was so Pac 12 fans around the country could see their teams. It's no longer true. Before the Pac 12 Networks, I paid CU to see the games and I'd happily pay a fee to see Colorado games online, either through CU or the Pac 12.

My gut feeling on this is that Charlie Ergen doesn't want you enjoying content thats not provided by his network.

People are pissed about this. It's Dish's decision and not P12N

http://support.pac-12.com/hc/en-us/...Everywhere-but-now-I-can-t-How-do-I-fix-this-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...16/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Inferior product run by a bunch of a$$hats. I love how they continue to blame providers when it was their decision to create the unnecessary regional channels. If only there were other conference networks that the Pac could look to for examples of successful business models.

But don't worry, they have unfettered access to women's softball in China, so the revenue will really start flowing...

My gut feeling on this is that Charlie Ergen doesn't want you enjoying content thats not provided by his network.

People are pissed about this. It's Dish's decision and not P12N

The woman I spoke to from the Pac 12 Network told me to contact Dish and tell them I want it. I have and I will.

I have Cox in Kansas which carries only the national feed. I have been able to stream any other content through the website or app until recently. Now the stupid part is that when I use the app, the only feeds I can stream are Arizona and Southern California, which happen to be the two biggest in footprint markets for Cox, but has nothing to do with me. I tweeted Cox about it but doubt that they will change. They probably don't know how to regionalize their digital content. Cox used to be good and responsive, they have just been getting worse each year.

I guess I can see this ending in two ways. Maybe three;

1. The ADs revolt and arm twist their presidents into effectively ending the channel by doing a larger TV deal that gets a lot more coverage. I didnt see one single P12 Tournament game. McCaffery didnt win the Heisman partly because of a lack of exposure. I am sure there are other examples around rankings and what not.

2. The Pac 12 network eventually gets to what we all want and that is choices and a legit streaming option and open content (and hopefully they make money from it)

3. The network is sold to a partner.

Interesting.

My DirecTv credentials now allow me to log in to ATT UVerse. But the Pac-12 stream is not available for my region and I can't seem to purchase an upgrade.

This is why bundled TV is going to die. I can't watch what I want to watch.

Interesting.

My DirecTv credentials now allow me to log in to ATT UVerse. But the Pac-12 stream is not available for my region and I can't seem to purchase an upgrade.

This is why bundled TV is going to die. I can't watch what I want to watch.
That's interesting - I wonder if the Pac-12 stream would be available out here.
Have Cox and Pac-12N, but Cox sucks, so if the DTV/UVerse stream would work, hmmm....

That's interesting - I wonder if the Pac-12 stream would be available out here.
Have Cox and Pac-12N, but Cox sucks, so if the DTV/UVerse stream would work, hmmm....

You should definitely try. I am gonna ask my dad for his credentials since Florida is listed.

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 11.02.09 AM.png

Damn, I'm screwed. Nothing in Virginia. Maybe I should move to Moyock, NC or the Outer Banks...

Damn, I'm screwed. Nothing in Virginia. Maybe I should move to Moyock, NC or the Outer Banks...

You might be able to sign up for it though because at least your in the footprint. Just a thought.

You have to hand it to the people that do the negotiations and write the contracts on behalf of the content owners. They have very successfully engineered a lack of choices or competition until now.

I have Cox in Kansas which carries only the national feed. I have been able to stream any other content through the website or app until recently. Now the stupid part is that when I use the app, the only feeds I can stream are Arizona and Southern California, which happen to be the two biggest in footprint markets for Cox, but has nothing to do with me. I tweeted Cox about it but doubt that they will change. They probably don't know how to regionalize their digital content. Cox used to be good and responsive, they have just been getting worse each year.

I have Cox in Los Angeles. The problem was Cox didn't carry the National Network and the only in footprint markets they are in is Los Angeles and Arizona. So they only carried the regional channels in the respective markets., When the PACN decided to differentiate b/w the National Channel and all the Regionals, they changed the permissions on the digital content. So if your provider (Cox) only carried PAC LA and PAC Arizona, those are the only channels we had access to online.

For the tournament last week - In Los Angeles and in Arizona - they gave us the National Channel in both HD and SD. I still have the National Channel on my TV in HD. But I don't know if they reached an agreement or if the channel is going to disappear.

I went fairly high up the food chain at Cox and explained to them having only PAC Los Angeles is not going to work for the fans of the other 10 schools here. They understood at least enough to make the change for the tournament - but made it very clear if its not fixed by football season it will be totally unacceptable.

Its real easy to hammer on the PAC Networks. And I'd totally agree they have taken a their share of bad turns and bad decisions. Not the least of which was not understanding their fan base to force the issue with the providers. Without a media partner like ESPN (SEC) or Fox (B1G) to put their weight behind carriage - the only stroke the PACN has is our fan base. Yeah - big fail there. Anyone with any understanding of the PAC fan base culture knows we aren't like the SEC.

Told this to someone on rivals who has been incredulous the PAC is asking the consumer to bang on our providers. Its so inconvenient. This is the biggest difference b/w the SEC and PAC 12.

SEC would have told their fans - DirecTV isn't going to carry our Network. They don't think it's important. We know exactly what SEC fan would have done. They would have flooded DirecTV's phonelines past capacity. They would have broken twitter. They would have told the service rep to pound sand when offered "free Sunday Ticket". They would have cancelled before DirecTV even had a chance to change their minds. They would have been SEC SEC SEC SEC.

PAC? We complain like millennial bitches. I don't want to switch. PAC should bend over and just give it away for free. Oh, we only made 1.4 million this FY? Its the PACs fault.

Sorry - I know I am being quite myopic. Guess its the contrarian in me.

This (no access to regional pac 12 networks online on DISH) seriously sucks. I'm definitely complaining. More and more stuff is on the regional and not shown on the regional N Cal channel out here, it has been really great to be able to at least watch that stuff online on Pac12 mountain.
I'll have to take back all the good stuff I've said about DISH now :(

This is where the PAC really ****ed up in transparacny and not telling PAC fans what the hell was going on. They told the providers long ago - but we were blindsided.

Haven't been reading this thread. So in case it's not clear what is going on.

The PAC is trying to differentiate b/w the National Network and the Regionals. They are doing this by only broadcasting the regional schools on the regional channels and every other live event goes on the National. So Colorado vs. UCLA in football will be shown on PAC National, PAC LA and PAC Mountain. But if you live in Washington and only have access to PAC Washington - you're screwed. No game for you.

Why they are doing this? I don't know. Maybe they get more advertising revenue on the National Channel. Maybe they get more carriage if the provider has the Ntaional and the Regional.

But what the PAC is asking fans to do (and doing a horrible job explaining it) is to call - tweet - email - our providers and explain to them that we need the National Network in HD and our Regional Network. If they carry both - then it's my understanding in communication with the PAC - the providers can grant online access to all seven channels at no extra charge.

It's my understanding the problem with Comcast in Colorado is they only carry the National Network in SD. That seems like a fairly easy fix, hammer them to throw the channel in HD so you can watch the other conference games.

For Dish, Cox, etc. we need to explain to our providers what we need. The National Channel and the Regional Channel and make sure to permission online access to all seven networks. Tell them there is no additional cost and to figure it out.

It sucks. But we are the only leverage the conference has.

Why they are doing this? I don't know.

So you get mad and call and threaten your providers revenue stream.

and explain to them that we need the National Network in HD and our Regional Network.

Which they will charge the middle man more for and eventually they will charge you more for. The problem is the pipe is only so big and the p12n doesn't move the revenue needle very much for the middle man.

So let me ask this. If we partnered with ESPN or Fox would we have six regional channels? Or just one national?

How many does B1G have? How many does SEC have?

So let me ask this. If we partnered with ESPN or Fox would we have six regional channels? Or just one national?

How many does B1G have? How many does SEC have?
I think it would just be one national and then an overflow channel for when games go on at the same time.

I think it would just be one national and then an overflow channel for when games go on at the same time.

ESPN would have a game on national, on the deuce, ESPNU, then our channel and maybe the over flow. When they didn't have SEC games on first. And they'd **** with the time of every game (11pm kickoffs anyone?) to get as many on as possible in the weirdest order possible (after SEC came first).

It'd probably work.

Back