What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 players threaten opt-out of 2020 CFB season unless health and safety and other demands are met

Good idea! So then your post isn’t saying they’re not paid because they’re black? Because I’m pretty sure it says they would be “maybe” getting paid if they were “100% white.” I could be misconstruing your point here but I take that as you’re implying they refuse to pay anybody unless they’re all white.

My point was simply that history may have unfolded differently if the majority of CFB players over the last 50 years weren't predominately African American. Maybe if the families of CFB players had been more politically connected over that time, this issue would've been addressed years ago.

Colleges have a lot of blame in the system that we have right now and the players are taking all of the risk. It really boils down to a couple issues. Coaches salaries and facilities. That is where majority of the money is going to. If you put at least a quarter of that money back to the student athlete in a higher stipend, benefits, insurance, etc. I think that is about as good of a system as you could hope for. They also now have the ability to get paid on their image and likeness. The student athlete is also getting School paid for. Then if there was a minor league system, you give everyone that option as well.

Hell, I would bet anything that a lot of these student athletes would find that a system like the above would be better than anything they find the rest of their lives, except for playing professionally.

Ultimately, if they ever start paying players, it won't be very much. Schools can't take on what they already are, plus a salary and insurance. I think the student athletes will find that 10-20,000 a year was a stupid choice when the School has to take out everything else. Then facilities will deteriorate along with everything else and we are back to this same discussion in 10 years.

100% agree. It’s a broken system and it’a only gotten worse in the last 15 years or so With crazy TV revenue contracts. I’m almost too young to remember but it feels like it wasn’t that long ago that Colorado was only getting what 6-7 million a year? Now schools get 50? I’m all for what you’re saying and totally agree on healthcare and stipends and likenesses.

My point was simply that history may have unfolded differently if the majority of CFB players over the last 50 years weren't predominately African American. Maybe if the families of CFB players had been more politically connected over that time, this issue would've been addressed years ago.

With the way America has been for the past 50 years it’s unfortunate to even think that could be a possibility. I just don’t think the money existed, it wasn’t that long ago that these schools were getting less than 10 million, BIG 12 got 4.8 million in 2000. So I just think it’s more likely that the NCAA has adopted and followed the model it created back in the 50’s and only very recently has it turned it to overwhelmingly large amounts of cash. Here’s a breakdown of where the NCAA money goes:

Maybe I’m naive but I like to believe the NCAA is just being greedy and not racist.

In 2019, there were 22,596 whites, 20,344 blacks, and 8,882 others in the 5 major revenue generating sports. Football, men’s basketball, hockey, baseball and women’s basketball.

Please re-read my post. I said "sports that generate profit." There are more than 300 schools that compete in D1 athletics in various sports. I bet you can't find 10 schools that generate a profit from their hockey, baseball, or women's basketball programs. Those 3 programs generate much more expense on average than revenue. If you focus on the programs that generate revenue there are 11,992 athletes that identify as white out of 34,840 total (~34.5%)

If we could get rid of title IX, which is a sexist affirmation of separate but equal segregation,

This might be the single stupidest thing I've read on this site.

Ha, even better argument. So you actually believe the reason CFB players are not currently receiving fair compensation is because 63% are black and there is a racist agenda?
There it is. It’s the white mans fault the NCAA doesn’t pay the black athlete.

I don't think either of you quite grasp the concept of systemic racism. It's not about individually assigning blame to one race or another, or an individual agenda.

Please re-read my post. I said "sports that generate profit." There are more than 300 schools that compete in D1 athletics in various sports. I bet you can't find 10 schools that generate a profit from their hockey, baseball, or women's basketball programs. Those 3 programs generate much more expense on average than revenue. If you focus on the programs that generate revenue there are 11,992 athletes that identify as white out of 34,840 total (~34.5%)

I don't think either of you quite grasp the concept of systemic racism. It's not about individually assigning blame to one race or another, or an individual agenda.
I think the conclusion here is that the fans are racist against white college athletes for not paying to watch college hockey or baseball - what are we going to do about this?!?!

I would love for you to tell me more.

Saw a pretty good point made somewhere: We are all fans of CU right? We watch cfb for the name on the front, not on the back. A minor league would get very little fan fare imo, they aren’t backed by hundreds of thousands of crazy alums. Also- A very minuscule amount of players actually make it to the league and a even less last. It would be in their best interest to take a free education imo.

is the off-season over yet

Saw a pretty good point made somewhere: We are all fans of CU right? We watch cfb for the name on the front, not on the back. A minor league would get very little fan fare imo, they aren’t backed by hundreds of thousands of crazy alums. Also- A very minuscule amount of players actually make it to the league and a even less last. It would be in their best interest to take a free education imo.

is the off-season over yet
College foosball is all about the atmosphere and traditions. Running of Ralphie, the parting of the T, the dotting of the I , the Boomer Schooner, The Big House...
things a minor league can't compete with.

I have no problem with the NFL creating a minor league, but CFB isn't going anywhere and it will remain big business no matter what. That means the TV coverage and marketing will be there, which means the elite players who emerge at the big programs will still get famous and go to the league.

A minor league for the NFL will be like watching lesser versions of the current Practice Squad. Nobody will watch, the players won't be famous, they will make something like $30k/year, and there won't be guaranteed "scholarships" or roster spots so they ones who don't show promise after a year or two will likely be cut, the turnover will be astronomically high, and those kids who opt for the minor leagues won't have the option to go to college and play if/when they get cut.

There are just fundamental differences in the sports that make it extremely challenging with a major lack of incentive.

I have no problem with the NFL creating a minor league, but CFB isn't going anywhere and it will remain big business no matter what. That means the TV coverage and marketing will be there, which means the elite players who emerge at the big programs will still get famous and go to the league.

A minor league for the NFL will be like watching lesser versions of the current Practice Squad. Nobody will watch, the players won't be famous, they will make something like $30k/year, and there won't be guaranteed "scholarships" or roster spots so they ones who don't show promise after a year or two will likely be cut, the turnover will be astronomically high, and those kids who opt for the minor leagues won't have the option to go to college and play if/when they get cut.

There are just fundamental differences in the sports that make it extremely challenging with a major lack of incentive.
And these are all true points for every single minor league in every other professional sport. The issue being, the nfl is using the college game as its minor league.

When, at least according to published numbers, a school like CU has a balanced budget where revenue equals debt, how would that work?

Also, wouldn’t there be problems in how the payouts are distributed? If you distribute them evenly among all athletes there will be backlash. If you weight payouts according to revenue produced by a particular sport, there will be a backlash. And if the QB gets more than the LT there will be a backlash.

No system will appease everyone, so there will always be dissatisfaction.
OK. Let's just give up. We can't make everybody happy, so **** it.

Can we stop with the racial commentary as it pertains to this issue? It really has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
So says the guy with Kap Bob Ross photo as his avatar.

A majority of D1 football and basketball athletes as stated above are black. Why is that? Relative to the total population African Americans are a smaller group than whites and hispanics. Hispanics are near to becoming the majority in the US but they seem to be even more underrepresented in D1 than whites. Im left to conclude the lighter your skin the ****tier your genetics are in terms of speed and athleticism.

College foosball is all about the atmosphere and traditions. Running of Ralphie, the parting of the T, the dotting of the I , the Boomer Schooner, The Big House...
things a minor league can't compete with.
I thought it was about the beer...

A majority of D1 football and basketball athletes as stated above are black. Why is that? Relative to the total population African Americans are a smaller group than whites and hispanics. Hispanics are near to becoming the majority in the US but they seem to be even more underrepresented in D1 than whites. Im left to conclude the lighter your skin the ****tier your genetics are in terms of speed and athleticism.
Kap Bob Ross? Huh?

Your second paragraph sucks as well. Take a lap for the most Miami post of all time.

Kap Bob Ross? Huh?

Your second paragraph sucks as well. Take a lap for the most Miami post of all time.

It’s Kaepernick? ****, I thought it was Lebron. I don’t know how i was a 3 sport athlete when I was white, maybe they felt bad for me.

It’s Kaepernick? ****, I thought it was Lebron. I don’t know how i was a 3 sport athlete when I was white, maybe they felt bad for me.
I think you’re joking, but this guy...
If you don’t recognize the person in that photo you should be banned (hint: it’s not Kaepernick)

I think you’re joking, but this guy...

If you don’t recognize the person in that photo you should be banned (hint: it’s not Kaepernick)

Yeah, I was joking lol, I don’t know how anyone here wouldn’t know. If you don’t you should probably be banned for life.

Kap Bob Ross? Huh?

It took a long time to integrate college football, and now blacks are the majority. Is that because other races decided to stop playing?

I think it is probably a complete non-starter even in the best of times, but during COVID and 2 weeks before the season? Good luck with that.

“bUt ThE PlAyErS hOld AlL ThE pOwEr”

giphy.gif

Hmmm, of the 4 major professional sports leagues in this country, 2 (baseball and hockey) have well-established minor league systems. If a teenaged athlete wants to earn money playing baseball or hockey, all he has to do is sign a contract. No such systems exists for football or basketball (though with international leagues and the G League, there are now some opportunities in basketball). I wonder what the racial makeup of hockey and baseball players is as compared to basketball and football.
Who is better off, the baseball player who foregoes college and signs a professional contract or a D1 Football player? If the baseball player is decent and plays AAA ball, he'll make a staggering $14,000 a year while he cruises in luxury around in a bus dining on fast food and waffle house. Also, they don't get paid at all during the off season or for spring training. Is that the kind of progress we are hoping for these kids to make?

Last edited:
Who is better off, the baseball player who foregoes college and signs a professional contract or a D1 Football player? If the baseball player is decent and plays AAA ball, he'll make a staggering $14,000 a year while he cruises in luxury around in a bus dining on fast food and waffle house. Also, they don't get paid at all during the off season or for spring training. Is that the kind of progress we are hoping for these kids to make?

I would say a player who has no interest in or aptitude for higher education would be better off playing professionally. In any case, wouldn't it be better if the individual player had the option?

Back