What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Paige on how Shannahan would do at CU

And in the end it's not going to happen cuz we can't afford him so give it up already folks, why come to CU and get paid 1.5 mil a year when he can go else where and get paid 3 or 4 times as much in a year. Several NFL head coaching jobs will be open next year and he'll be a top canidate for those, if Weis gets canned at Notre Dame and Urban Myer leaves for his dream job who's to say that Shanahans not a top canidate at Florida like how he was then spurrier took off to coach for the skins. We have a better shot of beating Wyoming this weekend than we do landing Mike.

Last edited:
one_billion_dollars2.jpg

Didn't the Gators offer him the world and he still turned them down to remain HC in Denver? Then Urban Myer took over?

Shanny almost took the Florida job before they hired Ron Zook.

He stayed cuz at the time Bowlen mentioned that shanny could and would remain the broncos coach as long as he wanted. We saw how that came to an end. He was close to taking the job because he was the offensive cooridinator there from 80-83 and had strong ties with the AD. Atleast some AD's have the sense off hiring someone who they trust and have had a long standing relationship or considers those canidates first. Ours i won't even mention.

I'm not sure that Shanny would work as a coach here. His offenses are pretty complex and he runs the Zone Blocking which can take years to learn for an offensive lineman. I just don't see him being a quick fix kind of guy. But then again he did turn the Broncos around pretty fast.

Moneywise Shanny doesn't have a lot of incentive to stay in the NFL. Anything they pay him up to $7 mill gets offset against his Broncos salary for this year and the next two. Taking a college job normally doesn't offset so anything he gets paid at the college level would still be in addition to his Broncos money.

What he would get is total control of the football program. In the pro game his offense was pretty sophisticated but he is a very intelligent football mind. I don't have any question that he could bring his offensive ideas directly into line with the capabilities of college players to learn and execute them.

I know it is a pipe dream in that he hasn't said a word but right now it is also as realistic as anything else that has been mentioned.

I also think Kubiak is going to be available fairly soon and a lot of this same applies to him. I have always thought that he would make a better college coach than pro coach.

I'm not sure that Shanny would work as a coach here. His offenses are pretty complex and he runs the Zone Blocking which can take years to learn for an offensive lineman. I just don't see him being a quick fix kind of guy. But then again he did turn the Broncos around pretty fast.
He was an offensive coordinator at Florida, so it's not like he doesn't know how to implement schemes that will work on a college level.

Moneywise Shanny doesn't have a lot of incentive to stay in the NFL. Anything they pay him up to $7 mill gets offset against his Broncos salary for this year and the next two. Taking a college job normally doesn't offset so anything he gets paid at the college level would still be in addition to his Broncos money.

Not correct. He is under contract with the Broncos and is being paid under the contract. In order for him to sign a contract to coach elsewhere he has to deal with the Broncos - it would probably work out the same as signing with the NFL team - the pay would offset against what the Broncos are paying him.

Also, recruits would LOVE to play for a guy who knows something about the League. And Shanahan knows ALOT about it. Someone e-mail this article to Bohner??

I guess it's fun to speculate about.

Woody's completely out of his element, but his response to the 2nd email was excellent (up until the Logan part).

We might even see Kubiak at A&M next year, if he doesn't produce wins in houston he might even get canned and Mike Sherman might be gone after this season also at A&M. Kubiak's always wanted to coach at his alma mater, Shanny as a buff and Kubiak as an aggie would be interesting....

So far I have not seen one reason why Shanny wouldn't be a perfect fit at CU. Sure he could probably make more money somewhere else but when you are making that much, it isn't about money any more, it is about quality of life. I don't see any other coaching job that will give him the quality of life that CU could give him. The big question, as Alfred Williams mentioned today, is if he wants to commit himself to the recruiting game. Recruiting will be much easier (requires less time) for him compared to other college coaches but he will still have to get out there on the road and get those kids.

The only other thing I can think of, is the drive from the Shanny-Mansion is probably an hour or so in traffic which could get old after a while. I am guessing he could find a nice place around Boulder for days when the drive gets old during the busy times. Doesn't the HC job come with a free house too?

Aside from that, I don't see him making that much more money in the NFL as the trend has been to hire new guys for less money... Plus add into that all the exposure he would get for his new restaurant, and the endorsements. He will do fine in the money dept.

Seriously, what is it with people's fascination with Shanahan coaching the buffs. Sure, he can coach, but he can't evaluate talent worth a damn and he's as bad as Hawkins in his Hubris and unwillingness to change.

You do realize on name factor alone he most likely would pull in a top 5 class easy.

And in the end it's not going to happen cuz we can't afford him so give it up already folks, why come to CU and get paid 1.5 mil a year when he can go else where and get paid 3 or 4 times as much in a year. Several NFL head coaching jobs will be open next year and he'll be a top canidate for those, if Weis gets canned at Notre Dame and Urban Myer leaves for his dream job who's to say that Shanahans not a top canidate at Florida like how he was then spurrier took off to coach for the skins. We have a better shot of beating Wyoming this weekend than we do landing Mike.

Bowlen will pay him to sit on his arse for the next two years at like $6mil a year. If he takes another job Bowlen does not have to pay him. Anyone who wants Shanny is gonna have to give him more than $6mil per year or a lump some up front plus a salary equivalent to Bowlen would have paid to get him to move. The $64,000 question is this; does taking a College Coaching job constitute the end of those payments? If it doesn't then he could take a college job just about anywhere including CU and the money would not really matter lifestyle wise.

Down deep I don't think Mike Shannahan would would come to CU but if he did I would be ecstatic.

Bowlen will pay him to sit on his arse for the next two years at like $6mil a year. If he takes another job Bowlen does not have to pay him. Anyone who wants Shanny is gonna have to give him more than $6mil per year or a lump some up front plus a salary equivalent to. The $64,000 question is this; does a College Coaching job constitute the end of those payments? If it doesn't then he could take a college job just about anywhere.

I don't think Mike Shannahan would would come to CU but if he did I would be ecstatic.

If I remember right his contract would make up the difference in pay no matter if he coaches Pro, College, or High school. He will be guaranted to make 6 mil per year even if CU only pays him $500,000.

I love this;

After watching the Toledo game, I am a bigger fan of Dan and Cody Hawkins than ever. That is as good as CU can be right now. Class and courage at its best!! Yes, I wanted both of them gone after CSU and in the first half of the Toledo game. The reality is this team is not good, but Coach Hawkins is the right guy. When you have the cleanest team in America, it will take a long time to turn around from ashes. I am extremely impressed how both Hawkins have handled first two games.
("Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill)
-- Duke, Tampa, Fla.

Duke: Winston Churchill was drinking one night (which wasn't that unusual), and a woman said: "Sir, you are drunk." He replied: "Yes, I am, madam, but tomorrow morning I will be sober, and you still will be ugly."

:bounce:

Sorry to say this but the zone blocking scheme does not take "years to learn" unless you are a blanking retard. We ran a zone blocking variation in '94. Let's put it this way, o-lineman are collectively the smartest guys on the team (check out the NFL Wunderlick score averages) and zone blocking is not that difficult a concept once you put in your time in gaining repetitions against the variations of defense.

I need someone to smack me in the face so that I can come back to reality.

This is making me Giddy even if it has no chance at happening.

I need someone to smack me in the face so that I can come back to reality.

This is making me Giddy even if it has no chance at happening.
Where do you work. I'd love to hit somebody in the face right now. :smile:

Zone is one of the easiest schemes to learn, its basically engaging and letting the back read. Speedy would be awesome in that system.

Not to be a wet blanket, but if he's going to get $6 million whether he coaches or not, wouldn't taking the CU job (or any job) be basically working for free? The checks would just be signed by different people, that's all.

I'm sure the guy loves football, but c'mon.

Not to be a wet blanket, but if he's going to get $6 million whether he coaches or not, wouldn't taking the CU job (or any job) be basically working for free? The checks would just be signed by different people, that's all.

I'm sure the guy loves football, but c'mon.

I'm not a 100% sure on what you are trying to say, but if Shanny were to work at any non-NFL job he'd be getting the $6mil plus the paycheck from where he works. Not sure if that helped at all.

I'm not a 100% sure on what you are trying to say, but if Shanny were to work at any non-NFL job he'd be getting the $6mil plus the paycheck from where he works. Not sure if that helped at all.

If that's how the contract is written, then I agree with you, but there's been some confusion about that. Some have said the net payment clause applies to any job, not just an NFL job.

Does anyone know how this works?

Back