What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil DiStefano's got to go

I just scanned over this thread and couldn't find the answer, so SIAP, but how could we actually take action to get rid of him?

I just scanned over this thread and couldn't find the answer, so SIAP, but how could we actually take action to get rid of him?

Express your concerns to the Regents. It helps if your last name is "Solich".

I'd suggest making a scene the next ext time one of you sees him stuffing his pie hole at the Louisville Carrabba's.

As Buffalo_Brad learned, Phil isn't interested in having a conversation with fans unless you're ready to write a $50 million check so there's no reason to engage with him. Just be a dick and let him know he's hated by the CU community.

The public story is always correct. Always.

Agreed that maybe the way it is being spun that it was Bruce's choice or that there was a fund raising issue, but i just don't buy it.

Not having the balls to fire Mike right after the Butch Jones incident? but instead doing it in the dead of summer after he's potentially made an incredibly expensive game changing hire (for better or for worse) is the sort of thing a career administrator does, not a business man. Add to that under Bohn's watch 6 of the 9 largest gifts in CU athletics history came in, including a 1 million dollar donation just a month ago, and that fund raising jumped from 7.6 million last year to 11.8 this year, a 4.2 million dollar bump. The Phil fires him for falling short of expectation, and promptly claims we'll double the amount raised in 4 years? at the rate of growth for last year we'd have more than doubled it in three years. That is the sort of striving for excellence we've had since long before Benson was hired.

Phil Distefano is the problem, he is the one surviving constant of the downward spiral that has been the last 12 years, be it in athletics or academics.

Two words for DiSteff (can't we just shorten our references to him to "Shemp"?) = Education professor

Wait......a paisan eats Italian food at a chain restaurant? :wow: With all the great Italian restaurants in Boulder??? WTF??? He should sh*t-canned for that gaff alone!!!

Last edited:
So begin writing letters and Op Eds. Benson ultimately makes the decision, correct? He will need to feel public pressure to make the change. How about the students themselves, are they more important as the public perception? I didn't ever think about the Chancellor when I was going to school.

Agreed that maybe the way it is being spun that it was Bruce's choice or that there was a fund raising issue, but i just don't buy it.

Not having the balls to fire Mike right after the Butch Jones incident? but instead doing it in the dead of summer after he's potentially made an incredibly expensive game changing hire (for better or for worse) is the sort of thing a career administrator does, not a business man. Add to that under Bohn's watch 6 of the 9 largest gifts in CU athletics history came in, including a 1 million dollar donation just a month ago, and that fund raising jumped from 7.6 million last year to 11.8 this year, a 4.2 million dollar bump. The Phil fires him for falling short of expectation, and promptly claims we'll double the amount raised in 4 years? at the rate of growth for last year we'd have more than doubled it in three years. That is the sort of striving for excellence we've had since long before Benson was hired.

Phil Distefano is the problem, he is the one surviving constant of the downward spiral that has been the last 12 years, be it in athletics or academics.

Well, don't I have egg on my face. Here I thought that our downward spiral was the result of a great many factors. Apparently this one guy is the source of all our ills... C'mon guys, you'll get no argument from me that Phil has been lackluster at best in his positiong as it relates to athletics and academics, but we've been singing the same tune for years. First, it was all Hawks fault, and as soon as we got him out of here, things were going to be different. Then, it was all JE's fault, and once he was fired, then everything would be right with the world. Now, it's all Phil's fault, and as soon as we get him out, it's smooth sailing. Am I the only one who thinks that a lot of people have had a hand in sending us on this downward spiral (yes, that includes Saint Bohn the Great and Phil the incompetent, but many others). Our problem has never been as simple as one guy.

Well, don't I have egg on my face. Here I thought that our downward spiral was the result of a great many factors. Apparently this one guy is the source of all our ills... C'mon guys, you'll get no argument from me that Phil has been lackluster at best in his positiong as it relates to athletics and academics, but we've been singing the same tune for years. First, it was all Hawks fault, and as soon as we got him out of here, things were going to be different. Then, it was all JE's fault, and once he was fired, then everything would be right with the world. Now, it's all Phil's fault, and as soon as we get him out, it's smooth sailing. Am I the only one who thinks that a lot of people have had a hand in sending us on this downward spiral (yes, that includes Saint Bohn the Great and Phil the incompetent, but many others). Our problem has never been as simple as one guy.

Yeah, but we got rid of the rest of those guys.

No problem with Phil getting the axe, just disagreeing that he has been the problem with CU.

Don't disagree with you one bit. Even if NuMac manages to turn football around quickly, I just can't see the entire athletic department growing and thriving while he's still there.

You are right that it is never as simple as one person. At the same time some people have a lot more influence than others. Some are responsible for providing leadership, setting expectations, developing and allocating resources, determining, influencing, and/or administering policy that relates directly to the success of the organization.

Phil is at or near the top of the pyramid in all these areas. When all the other variables have changed and the results have stayed the same then you have a pretty good idea which variable to change to impact your outcomes. Phil has been the constant, time to make him the variable and replace him.

"the problem is the fans and message board scum."

signed,

CU administrators for about the past 20 or so years.

Somebody asked what he has accomplished. Here's one thing- he has found people to throw under the bus for every shortcoming at the campus. He's managed to deflect blame for any problems away from himself.

Two stories come to mind about Phil. First, he's speaking at a Rotary conference a couple years ago. He says that one of the biggest challenges they face is keeping Freshmen enrolled. He says the dropout rate is just too high for incoming Freshmen. I'm like "Phil, that's how CU is structured". It's MEANT to be that way. Did he not get the memo? Second, right after the incident with Brad at the football game, I'm walking into the practice facility pre-game for a basketball game with Brad and one of his friends. Phil is walking out while we walk in. Brad says, in a voice loud enough to be heard by everybody in the county "See that little fellow there? That's Phil Distefano!"

Not a fan of Phil. I will grant that Bohn didn't do the perfect job, but he was far less a hindrance to the success of he athletic department than Phil has been.
I'd be interested in knowing what some of the other CU Boulder employees think of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That's the thing. After a while and after we've seen every person who works under him fired for poor job performance, doesn't it become patently obvious that the problem is at the top of the organization? Phil always says the right thing (or at least the thing that neither side of the debate will be wholly offended to hear while both are somewhat dissatisfied). He's a politician. But he does nothing. He'd be perfect for the Illinois statehouse where he could vote "Present" 90% of the time.

Maybe I'm just channeling my inner BB2 and playing the contrarian. I wholeheartedly agree that Phil is an appropriate target of our collective ire at this point. What I can't agree to is that all of our problems would be solved if we'd have just gotten rid of Phil and kept Embree, Bohn, et al. The firings that have taken place up to this point are justified in my opinion, so I won't use Phil's ineptitude as an excuse for those other folks' incompetence. I can concede that there is yet at least one firing that could/should be made. Ask yourselves though, if the people who Phil reports to don't find any fault with his duty performance, and/or refuse to take action against him, what does that say about their level of competence?

Maybe I'm just channeling my inner BB2 and playing the contrarian. I wholeheartedly agree that Phil is an appropriate target of our collective ire at this point. What I can't agree to is that all of our problems would be solved if we'd have just gotten rid of Phil and kept Embree, Bohn, et al. The firings that have taken place up to this point are justified in my opinion, so I won't use Phil's ineptitude as an excuse for those other folks' incompetence. I can concede that there is yet at least one firing that could/should be made. Ask yourselves though, if the people who Phil reports to don't find any fault with his duty performance, and/or refuse to take action against him, what does that say about their level of competence?

I think one *could* make the argument that if it weren't for Phil, Embree would have never been hired in the first place. Bohn would have been allowed to do his job and hire an actual qualified head football coach, and that both Bohn and said unknown coach would still be employed today. Is there any way to prove this? Of course not. It's my preferred alternate reality, though.

well Phil pre-dates Bruce....

While I think all of the firings you listed were justified and needed, and certainly dont believe firing Phil solves all of our issues; who is a constant that presided over and was involved with many of those hirings?

Would removing him solve our issues? Not at all, would it have prevented issues from occurring? again probably not.

But -

Is continuing to let a guy with a 12 year run of failures, who doesnt seem to get it, and spends time selling us outright lies, a problem?

Yes, yes it is.

I can live with Benson. He's shown that he can raise money on the academics side and now seems to be turning his attention to athletics. He's not an educator, but I'm starting to believe that's about as important to the role of University President as being a coach is to the role of Athletic Director - irrelevant.

But DiStefano? I'm not sure what that drunk brings to the table. Politician who has managed to survive myriad issues by avoiding ever taking a risk or making a strong move. He's a pimple on the ass of progress. We need him gone and need to get a leader into the Chancellor position.

Not much to add to this but that I cannot stand the freaking wimpish asshat. Time to go

I think one *could* make the argument that if it weren't for Phil, Embree would have never been hired in the first place. Bohn would have been allowed to do his job and hire an actual qualified head football coach, and that both Bohn and said unknown coach would still be employed today. Is there any way to prove this? Of course not. It's my preferred alternate reality, though.

You forgot the extra year that Hawkins got. Phil is the single biggest contributor to the downfall of the program.

I respect your opinion on this one, but we'll have to just agree to disagree regarding Bohn. My take is that he was either actively involved in the many miserable decisions that resulted in our football program becoming the national embarrassment that it is, or he became so irrelevant to the people who were making the decisions that he never earned a seat at the grown up table where football decisions are concerned, essentially being emasculated by the likes of Dr. Phil. Either way, he was no longer a fit for what was needed to get things turned around.

well Phil pre-dates Bruce....

While I think all of the firings you listed were justified and needed, and certainly dont believe firing Phil solves all of our issues; who is a constant that presided over and was involved with many of those hirings?

Would removing him solve our issues? Not at all, would it have prevented issues from occurring? again probably not.

But -

Is continuing to let a guy with a 12 year run of failures, who doesnt seem to get it, and spends time selling us outright lies, a problem?

Yes, yes it is.

We are in agreement on this point.

This administration needs new blood. Phil is the polar opposite of new blood. They need some folks who have experience operating in this new millennium.

Phil seems more interested in not rocking the boat than doing anything that might require large testicles. We need strong leadership that includes athletics as a priority and sorry but Phil just doesn't project that. Maybe Bruce can push him along short term but I agree we need new blood, fresh ideas.

Phil seems more interested in not rocking the boat than doing anything that might require large testicles. We need strong leadership that includes athletics as a priority and sorry but Phil just doesn't project that. Maybe Bruce can push him along short term but I agree we need new blood, fresh ideas.

I don't even know about the "fresh ideas" part. I'd be happy if I started seeing some thinking and action from inside the box. We don't even get that. This is so far from being a situation where we need creativity. We simply need competent application of tactics, strategies and practices that have been long-established as being effective for building the academic prestige and athletic accomplishments of a university.

Back