What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil's comment to Regents on race - WTF?

I guarantee you that the majority of the traffic comes from us. Let these threads die, don't retweet or respond to tweets and it will go away. The comments are Phil's faul......but make no mistake......this becomes a bigger story where outside people talk about it.......that will be on us. I agree about Phil though.

By chance did you attend Baylor?
I ask because the act of suppressing embarassing facts is strait out of the Baylor playbook.

QUOTE deleted at the request of Jo

He is just not polished enough for the job. Telling others to STFU for his ignorant way to bring up a valid conversation is ridiculous. He creates the **** storm with his lack of judgement. As Sacky said though, he did buy himself some additional time in the job with this little fiasco he created.

Last edited:
no I attended the university of "I am not dumb enough to self destruct ourselves over something that has been discredited" That is where i got my undergrad degree. I also got a Master's degree from the school of "Mother____ing common sense" If you think these are things that truly concern you, if you agree there is an issue and what Phil said is true for CU, then by all means go at it tweet, post, snapchat etc..... I am done posting about this nonsense. And no, rape allegations at Baylor does not compare to this (I learned that at the school where I got my Master's as mentioned on line 2)

Last edited:
He is just not polished enough for the job. Telling others to STFU for his ignorant way to bring up a valid conversation is ridiculous. He creates the **** storm with his lack of judgement. As Sacky said though, he did buy himself some additional time in the job with this little fiasco he created.
Dude I was talking about the reporter, not Phil.....lol

Firing Phil after he comes out and says we need to address these issues would be suicidal.

Maybe the guy is more calculating than we give him credit for. He just bought himself another year of employment. Probably all he needs to max out his PERA benefits.
He maxed out his PERA and TIAA-CREF long ago. 42 years is a long time. I initiallly thought the same as you firing him would be disastrous at this point. But I think CU could spin that his statements were intentionally inflammatory and that after 42 years he is a part of the problem. Not a part of the solution.

no I attended the university of "I am not dumb enough to self destruct ourselves over something that has been discredited" That is where i got my undergrad degree. I also got a Master's degree from the school of "Mother____ing common sense" If you think these are things that truly concern you, if you agree there is an issue and what Phil said is true for CU, then by all means go at it tweet, post, snapchat etc..... I am done posting about this nonsense. And no, rape allegations at Baylor does not compare to this (I learn that at the school where I got my Master's as mentioned on line 2)

9211c0bd32abc64319aee14031c9b8eb.jpg

Rant of the day! Nice work.

those numbers must include full cost of scholarships, which is valid, but I'd like to see the numbers without scholarships. Volleyball losing $1.2mm is incredible to me, especially considering the CU actually charges for entry (none of the four ACC schools at which I attended a VB match charged)

Trumps inability to use good and well correctly is, wierdly enough, one of the things about him that grates on my nerves the most when I hear him speak

Not weird at all. I would expect that from you. :LOL:

those numbers must include full cost of scholarships, which is valid, but I'd like to see the numbers without scholarships. Volleyball losing $1.2mm is incredible to me, especially considering the CU actually charges for entry (none of the four ACC schools at which I attended a VB match charged)

These type of breakdowns are never right because there isn't a best practice for accounting used in athletic departments; which costs are accounted for within the department and which are provided by the University. If athletes have non-athletic scholarships those are usually accounted for as athletic costs. The cost of event staff is often paid for by other University departments, and so on... Not everyone who donates does so only to the FB program, sometimes they do but other sports are important to them as well. In the end I think the trends are correct, FB and MBB makes most of the money, but the trends are exaggerated.

Please don't tell me you just compared keeping Phil's stupid comments out of the media as much as possible, to covering up rape.

Nope. Baylor whitewashes their image regardless of how trivial.

Racism in Boulder isn't rape, but it isn't trivial, either.

Calls to shut up and prune this thread resembles the kind of crap seen at BaylorFans.com.

Good article by Howell

"Going into his fourth year at CU, Awuzie said that while CU is not a highly diverse campus, he has had a great experience."

"It's just a different culture that you get used to," he said. "It's not that there's racism or anything. We know (Boulder) is predominantly a white town, and they've accepted us with open arms. We have fun there; we have a lot of friends of different colors. It's a very diversity-inclusive place, so I really like it there."
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_30130089/george-diversity-high-priority-athletic-department

Good article by Howell

"Going into his fourth year at CU, Awuzie said that while CU is not a highly diverse campus, he has had a great experience."

"It's just a different culture that you get used to," he said. "It's not that there's racism or anything. We know (Boulder) is predominantly a white town, and they've accepted us with open arms. We have fun there; we have a lot of friends of different colors. It's a very diversity-inclusive place, so I really like it there."
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_30130089/george-diversity-high-priority-athletic-department
Greatly enjoyed reading this article this morning. Now CU do the right thing and #FirePhilNow

Glad to see today's article both address and diffuse yesterday's headlines.

RG's quotes about recognizing the past, identifying issues with his staff. constantly keeping a dialog open, and working on a plan that will be unveiled in the near future shows the necessary leadership. Well done.

It's nice to have Chido share his experiences, too. This takes the bite out of DiStefano's plantation story.

Let's see where the BDC and Sara Kuta take this. Will this be a hit and run piece, or will there be some investigative journalism to further the story?

Let's see where the BDC and Sara Kuta take this. Will this be a hit and run piece, or will there be some investigative journalism to further the story?
I'd bet on hit and run. Digging into this, she would likely find that the reality is much more positive than the sensationalized one liner quote she was so conveniently handed.

Also, I really don't want her digging around any more. She's the kind of person who would interview 100 people to find one that says something to support her biases. She would then proceed to write the article, quoting the one and ignoring the 99.

She'll move on to the next trumped up attempt at creating scandal where none exists.

To me the problem is the black kids saying this crap. They are playing a sport to generates the most money, to try to get to the NBA or NFL (to make the most money). The school also has to make money, and the school legally has to go start other sports due to title IX. Now those sports, those coaches want the best athletes possible. Color doesn't matter. What other sports can be added (while dropping current ones) that would add more female black players? Is that the goal? Because what is the goal?

There is a problem and it includes the players. Fighting Josh Scott for 'being too white'? That's a HUGE problem. Was he respectful (as I, a white guy was to teachers and faculty)? Was he not spewing enough hate about white people? What was he doing/not doing to get that? Hell, I know plenty of white people that are not respectful and talk trash. There are forces at play in this country that are trying to tear us apart, not make things better. When kids that are hard workers and respectful and working to get ahead are torn down for not being 'black enough' that's as bad or worse of an issue IMO.

Phil may be right that there are things to discuss, but you also have to recognize that today's kids (regardless of race) are entitled often, want everything for free, and want to take things from others. In this scenario they are the 'rich class' paying for the 'poor class' (the sports that don't make money). I wonder if they can see the irony in that?

Good article by Howell

Nope. Baylor whitewashes their image regardless of how trivial.

Racism in Boulder isn't rape, but it isn't trivial, either.

Calls to shut up and prune this thread resembles the kind of crap seen at BaylorFans.com.

And this is exactly why I called for the thread to be pruned and locked until we heard from the players.

Skiddy- Get it now? You were way out of bounds with the Baylor fan comparison.

Last edited:
To me the problem is the black kids saying this crap. They are playing a sport to generates the most money, to try to get to the NBA or NFL (to make the most money). The school also has to make money, and the school legally has to go start other sports due to title IX. Now those sports, those coaches want the best athletes possible. Color doesn't matter. What other sports can be added (while dropping current ones) that would add more female black players? Is that the goal? Because what is the goal?

There is a problem and it includes the players. Fighting Josh Scott for 'being too white'? That's a HUGE problem. Was he respectful (as I, a white guy was to teachers and faculty)? Was he not spewing enough hate about white people? What was he doing/not doing to get that? Hell, I know plenty of white people that are not respectful and talk trash. There are forces at play in this country that are trying to tear us apart, not make things better. When kids that are hard workers and respectful and working to get ahead are torn down for not being 'black enough' that's as bad or worse of an issue IMO.

Phil may be right that there are things to discuss, but you also have to recognize that today's kids (regardless of race) are entitled often, want everything for free, and want to take things from others. In this scenario they are the 'rich class' paying for the 'poor class' (the sports that don't make money). I wonder if they can see the irony in that?
This is another shining example of why this thread should not exist.

And this is exactly why I called for the thread to be pruned and locked until we heard from the players.

Skiddy- Get it now? You were way out of bounds with the Baylor fan comparison.

I don't get what you are saying.
Advocating the pruning and covering up of this topic says a lot about your character.

This is another shining example of why this thread should not exist.
Stop posting in it then. Maybe it'll drop off the front page if people just stop posting. This is the biggest non issue issue ever. This whole subject is just stupid.

Stop posting in it then. Maybe it'll drop off the front page if people just stop posting. This is the biggest non issue issue ever. This whole subject is just stupid.
Good call, DBT. Between the racism in this thread and the Paris attack thread I read, I think I'm done at AB .

I'm out.

Stupid or not, the university and the chancellor keeps promoting a dialog around inclusiveness and diversity using shock tactics.

May 2015 story.

April 2015 open letter from the chancellor

CU intentionally making people uncomfortable. CBS report

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a major disconnect on the mission of college athletics within a university versus what players/media/coaches/fans sometimes think.

It is not professional sports. It is not simply "running a business".

If it was a business venture, they'd play football and men's basketball at the college level as scholarship sports and everything else would be a club sport.

But if they did that:

1. It would be in violation of federal law.

2. It would violate the reason that athletics became a thing at US colleges when it's not that way around the world: development of the entire person including the physical goes back to the ancient Greeks as an educational philosophy that was adopted in the US at all educational levels. Within that, inclusion and opportunities to participate in athletics is ingrained in our system. And the athletic competitions where our universities are represented connects students, alumni and the university community in a shared spirit that is overwhelmingly positive.

I think that with so much emphasis on "revenue" that we see reported, people lose site of this stuff and often forget that the operational mission of the University of Colorado is vastly different from that of the Denver Broncos.

There is a major disconnect on the mission of college athletics within a university versus what players/media/coaches/fans sometimes think.

It is not professional sports. It is not simply "running a business".

If it was a business venture, they'd play football and men's basketball at the college level as scholarship sports and everything else would be a club sport.

But if they did that:

1. It would be in violation of federal law.

2. It would violate the reason that athletics became a thing at US colleges when it's not that way around the world: development of the entire person including the physical goes back to the ancient Greeks as an educational philosophy that was adopted in the US at all educational levels. Within that, inclusion and opportunities to participate in athletics is ingrained in our system. And the athletic competitions where our universities are represented connects students, alumni and the university community in a shared spirit that is overwhelmingly positive.

I think that with so much emphasis on "revenue" that we see reported, people lose site of this stuff and often forget that the operational mission of the University of Colorado is vastly different from that of the Denver Broncos.

Part of this disconnect is structural. When the athletic department budget and revenue obligation has been separated from those of the rest of the university, and the AD is expected to be break even or better, what signal is being sent?

Back