What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Positives and negatives after WVU

Positive: Already been mentioned, but the DL play was phenomenal. Anyone else notice how quickly they were recognizing the screens and immediately removing the cutback possibility? It was fantastic to watch. Hope the young-uns are watching Hypo & Nicholas and learning as much as they can.

Negative: The kick coverage was horrible. Time and again there was nobody between ths WV kick return man and CU's first defender. Time and again WV eluded CU's coverage for a nice return.

It was supposed to be Josh Smith who shined returning kicks and punts. But WV won that contest every time.

Negative: The kick coverage was horrible. Time and again there was nobody between ths WV kick return man and CU's first defender. Time and again WV eluded CU's coverage for a nice return.

It was supposed to be Josh Smith who shined returning kicks and puts. But WV won that contest every time.

Josh needs to quit fielding punts inside the 10,it kills field position. Is our special teams coach aware of this or do I yet again have to play teacher and coach?:smile2:

it was a great win.

we've still got some issues.

on to fsu!

GO BUFFS!!!

I don't know. I thought the offense looked pretty good overall for how young we are. Our problem last night was stupid penalties and such that killed some drives. We could have easily had 3 or 4 more TD's last night with a little more experience.

And that is what I mean. We need to start playing clean, sharp games. If we minimize mistakes, everything will begin to fall into place.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this...

NOT A SINGLE BAD SNAP FOR THE FIRST TIME IN RECENT MEMORY!

You know, I hadn't thought about it until just now but you're right. Man I'd forgotten how much those bother me because there weren't any.

Negative - Offensive playcalling after the 1st quarter

Not only did the OC shell up and call the game as if 'not to lose', he was also predictable in key situations. I was also suprised that he called an outside play to Stewart immediately after he had just rattled off a 40 full-speed sprint down the sideline (net 13yds after stepping out of bounds). Stewart was clearly winded on the second play and was brought down for a 2yd loss.

That's all

Negative - Offensive playcalling after the 1st quarter

Not only did the OC shell up and call the game as if 'not to lose', he was also predictable in key situations. I was also suprised that he called an outside play to Stewart immediately after he had just rattled off a 40 full-speed sprint down the sideline (net 13yds after stepping out of bounds). Stewart was clearly winded on the second play and was brought down for a 2yd loss.

That's all

Agreed indeed...I don't think we threw the ball vertically down field once after the 2 TD's to J-fly & Patrick...granted we had some success running the ball, but we didn't mix it up at all and looked almost as 1 dimensional as WVU because of the playcalling

One positive that people have not pointed out yet. In OT, the Buffs simply lined up and stuffed the ball down WVU's throat. Maybe they had given up at that point, but it was hard not to be impressed. Had WVU made that FG, it would not have mattered. The Buffs were not going to be denied there. Both Scott and Stewart ran hard.

Were you reading over my shoulder? That was going to be one of my answers. :smile2:

Seriously, when everyone in the stadium knew that CU was going to run the ball, they drove it down their throat.

Now for a couple of more positives...
- We won't be seeing a pair line Devine and White again this season.
- Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the last time we will see a 3-3-5 defense?

We should be able to prepare a little more conventionally for our future opponents.

The biggest plus that I see it that this team has heart and plays 60+ minutes. Although they have not learned to win yet (take it to the opponent and crush them), they have certainly learned not to lose (they just don't give up, and stay together). :thumbsup:

Positives

1. Another checkmark in the "W" column. Can never have enough of those.

2. Defense played well. I've seen statistics from this game, both good and bad, but the only stat that needs repeating is Scoring Defense. This has been true in 2 of the 3 games - the Buffs have kept the opponent's scoring down.

3. Good mix of offensive formations.

4. Good balance between runs and passes.

5. This young team didn't fold in the face of a highly talented team.

Negatives:

1. Too many first down runs. I understand that field position impacts play calling, but what happened last night was a little much. The staff needs to mix it up a bit more on 1st down.

2. Out-klcking our coverage - we need to get the punts up a bit more. I'd much rather have a 35 to 40 yard kick with no return than a 50 yarder where the KR'er has all that space to get started.

I'm pretty pleased with the game last night. I think the team imposed their will on the opponent and ended with a W. It's good to see the mental toughness coming along.

I was really shocked we didn't pass deeper more often. With the run game going the way it was, I thought cody would have a lot more chances to heave it!

I was really shocked we didn't pass deeper more often. With the run game going the way it was, I thought cody would have a lot more chances to heave it!

i think the announcers hit on this last night on a deep pass, I believe to either geer or devenny that the wvu cb or safety made up several yards to knock the pass away in the 1st qtr, is Cody's arm strenth. On the play in question is was a 30-35 yard throw and if Cody had "gunned" it down the field it would have been 6, but it was "lofted" more, and slightly under throwned and it gave time for the WVU defender to make up the space and knock the pass down....

i think the announcers hit on this last night on a deep pass, I believe to either geer or devenny that the wvu cb or safety made up several yards to knock the pass away in the 1st qtr, is Cody's arm strenth. On the play in question is was a 30-35 yard throw and if Cody had "gunned" it down the field it would have been 6, but it was "lofted" more, and slightly under throwned and it gave time for the WVU defender to make up the space and knock the pass down....

I actually disagree with you and the announcer about this play. Cody just missed the spot. He needed to throw it slightly further down the field and towards the middle and Riar is off. The DB was beat, but a bullet straight at Riar would still have been broken up. He needed to get a little loft to get it over the DB's hand and he just didn't quite make it.

I think Cody has shown he has plenty of arm strength to make all the throws a college QB needs to make. He is never going to be able to force things, but if he has a window he can get the ball to his man. He's made plenty of great throws on third and long this year where he had to really fire it in a tight area. So, I think they can stretch the field more if they want without worrying about Cody's arm.

I actually disagree with you and the announcer about this play. Cody just missed the spot. He needed to throw it slightly further down the field and towards the middle and Riar is off. The DB was beat, but a bullet straight at Riar would still have been broken up. He needed to get a little loft to get it over the DB's hand and he just didn't quite make it.

I think Cody has shown he has plenty of arm strength to make all the throws a college QB needs to make. He is never going to be able to force things, but if he has a window he can get the ball to his man. He's made plenty of great throws on third and long this year where he had to really fire it in a tight area. So, I think they can stretch the field more if they want without worrying about Cody's arm.
Codys throw to Jfly was deeper. Agree with the wsp man on this one. It was just short.

that was my thought on that play as well. needed a bit more air and distance on that throw rather than a straight line laser throw.

Codys throw to Jfly was deeper. Agree with the wsp man on this one. It was just short.

i agree the pass was a little underthrown and that gave time for the db to cover up the ground and knock the pass down.... if he had a little bit more on the ball, in more of a straight line, the DB never would have gotten there..... speed, weight, trajectory.... nope, nothing I know about at all.... :smile2:

i agree the pass was a little underthrown and that gave time for the db to cover up the ground and knock the pass down.... if he had a little bit more on the ball, in more of a straight line, the DB never would have gotten there..... speed, weight, trajectory.... nope, nothing I know about at all.... :smile2:
or it was accuracy. as in, he just ****ed up instead of somehow being limited physically. all im sayin

Positives:
Speedy Stewart. nuf said
O-Line was pretty good after a poor performance against Eastern Washington
Jeff Smart, Brad Jones and Shawn Moehler one of the better LB trios in recent memory
Negatives:
Offense hybernating for the final 55 minutes of regulation

I still disagree. The defender was beat deep, but he was in the passing lane. If Cody tries to fire it on a straight line, he knocks it down or maybe even gets a pick. IMO, Cody had the right idea, he just didn't quite execute.

Josh needs to quit fielding punts inside the 10,it kills field position. Is our special teams coach aware of this or do I yet again have to play teacher and coach?:smile2:

Are you feeling confident that CU is in on a few quality DL guys, so this is the new rant?:smile2:

it was a great win.

we've still got some issues.

on to fsu!

GO BUFFS!!!

If you are a lawyer, I sure hope you don't get paid by the word!!:smile2:

From everything I have hearad and read, it was very windy at the game, and that was throwing the passes off quite a bit. I think that is why you saw CU go conservative and not go more deep passes (I think the first drive the sideline reporter said that the wind had died down for a bit). Unfortunatly for CU, that helped WVU as they do not pass much anyway. Still, CU hurt themselves badly with INT and fumbles. On the other hand, we can point to alot of things that CU did worng and yet CU still got the win.

Last edited:
If you are a lawyer, I sure hope you don't get paid by the word!!:smile2:

From everything I have hearad and read, it was very windy at the game, and that was throwing the passes off quite a bit. I think that is why you saw CU go conservative and not go more deep passes (I think the first drive the sideline reporter said that the wind had died down for a bit). Unfortunatly for CU, that helped WVU as they do not pass much anyway. Still, CU hurt themselves badly with INT and fumbles. On the other hand, we can point to alot of things that CU did worng and yet CU still got the win.

The wind might have been different on the field that up in section 217. But that first couple of drives where Cody hit J-Fly and Devanney was probably the windiest part of the game. The weather just really settled down by the half.
I think the running game was a way for CU to eat clock and sit on a lead. I have no idea why WV chose to be so one dimentional, other than the expectation that White and Devine would eventually break free for one more big play.

Back