What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pre-Camp Predictions: Starting Defense

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Who will be the first 11 to take the field in the opening game?

DL:
DL:
DL:
DL/LB:
LB:
LB:
LB/DB:
CB:
CB:
S:
S:

I'd watch:
Blackmon vs Miller.
Rakestraw at safety
JC guys at ILB and NT
Definitely will be an interesting battle for the other ILB spot. Van Diest looked good this spring but the newcomers look promising as well.

Blackmon is a ball hawk. Miller is bigger and more athletic but also recovering from injury. I think it all depends on how healthy he is by the end of fall camp.

Not sure I buy Rakestraw taking the safety spot from Maddox or Perry. Maddox put on great weight this offseason too.

Just curious, if Hypolite was not kicked off team, would Tucker still have brought Onu in as a transfer?

DL: Johnson
DL: Sami
DL: Lang
DL/LB: Wells
LB: Landman
LB: Van Diest
LB/DB: Taylor
CB: Abrams
CB: Miller
S: Perry
S: Maddox

Blackmon is your nickel corner and plays quite a bit
Jordan, Doss and Austin Williams are your rotational guys up front.
Falo and Tchangam are used as a run stopping/pass rushing combo to rotate with Wells.

S: Onu

I think we see a lot of rotation at ILB at the Van Diest position with the JUCO's. Also, at some point in the season Perry will be starting at a safety position. Will be interesting to see how they use Taylor at that Star position. Sounds like they like him more in that extra safety role. This is not a bad starting defense, but depth is not good at any position other than ILB. Could be a long season on defense.

S: Perry

Blackmon is your nickel corner and plays quite a bit
Jordan, Doss and Austin Williams are your rotational guys up front.
Falo and Tchangam are used as a run stopping/pass rushing combo to rotate with Wells.
I don't see any way Onu isn't the starting Safety

I don't see any way Onu isn't the starting Safety
I just don't know if he is that good and he hasn't been here long. I also like the combo of Taylor and Maddox on the field at the same time with Perry being able to cover deep and use his athleticism and size.

Looks like that OLB spot with Falo, Wells, and Callier is the one most up for grabs based on fan guesses. I’d put my money down on Wells personally.
Yeah I don't really see a situation where he isn't the starter outside of injury. He was clearly above the other guys last year and has good size to hold the edge too.
Wait. Hold the edge? That’s his weakness. Gets pinned inside. Can’t rotate hips and chase.

I just don't know if he is that good and he hasn't been here long. I also like the combo of Taylor and Maddox on the field at the same time with Perry being able to cover deep and use his athleticism and size.

Onu is a marginal player at the Power 5 level. He will start for CU though since their depth is almost non existent.

It'd be encouraging if the younger guys were good enough to be the starters, but Onu starting week one is easy money with that depth chart.

It'd be encouraging if the younger guys were good enough to be the starters, but Onu starting week one is easy money with that depth chart.
Maddox isn't a younger guy though and he has been on the field for us before so I will go with him right now over a transfer from a G5 program with a bad defense.

Onu is a marginal player at the Power 5 level. He will start for CU though since their depth is almost non existent.
It’s possible. I will reserve judgement until we see him on the field though. Either way he is a great depth piece for the buffs as a one year player.

Allen is a **** star juco. He will start. Experience gives Onu the edge to start. Not a lot of disagreement on the other starters.
Yeah but Allen just got here in the summer and JVD was a damn good high school recruit a couple of years ago. He is a stud and knows the system a lot better, which is huge at middle.

Yeah but Allen just got here in the summer and JVD was a damn good high school recruit a couple of years ago. He is a stud and knows the system a lot better, which is huge at middle.

There have been injuries filling up those last two couple of years ago. Being here in the spring has an advantage, but there is not a player on the roster that “knows the system a lot better” at this point.

There have been injuries filling up those last two couple of years ago. Being here in the spring has an advantage, but there is not a player on the roster that “knows the system a lot better” at this point.
I guarantee you that JVD knows the system a hell of a lot better than Allen, that’s not even really a question. They spend 8 hours a week with the coaches, he had all of spring ball and he is a smart kid. Not to mention that he already has a relationship with his position coach and Allen still has to adjust to division one, let alone P5 football.

Back