What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pre-Camp Predictions: Starting Defense

DL: Mustafa
DL: Sami
DL: Lang
OLB: Wells
ILB: Landman
ILB: Van Diest
Star: Taylor
CB: Abrams
CB: Miller
S: Rakestraw
S: Maddox

CU will use its depth at OLB to back-fill the depth at DL position. Going to happen on obvious passing downs and against teams like Air Force. Only DL who will be on the field most of the time is Mustafa. Also, Taylor will line up at safety when CU goes big against the run.

I think our starter at OLB will be the best pass rusher. That guy might actually be Tchangam.

drew-wilson-png.29846

But after four practices, one OLB who has been showing some excellent flashes as a pass rusher has been senior Alex Tchangam, who transferred to CU last from from junior college. Tchangam, Michalowski said, has shown a knack for getting past tackles and to the quarterback in a hurry.
https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/4/1/f...blues-o-line-shuffle-defense-progressing.aspx

I guarantee you that JVD knows the system a hell of a lot better than Allen, that’s not even really a question. They spend 8 hours a week with the coaches, he had all of spring ball and he is a smart kid. Not to mention that he already has a relationship with his position coach and Allen still has to adjust to division one, let alone P5 football.
can’t speak to Allen knowing the system. But i can speak to Jvd. human nature to forget what is old and be enamored with the shiny new toy. I think some have forgot that #31 was an UA all american/ESPN top 300.

Speed, strength and size all back and top of the lb’s and knowing the system along with 53.

He still has to earn his spot, leadership and performance and i trust no one will out work him.

GoBuffs

can’t speak to Allen knowing the system. But i can speak to Jvd. human nature to forget what is old and be enamored with the shiny new toy. I think some have forgot that #31 was an UA all american/ESPN top 300.

Speed, strength and size all back and top of the lb’s and knowing the system along with 53.

He still has to earn his spot, leadership and performance and i trust no one will out work him.

GoBuffs
GREAT kid too!

GoBuffs
Boom!

GoBuffs
One thing I do know is that we have to get back to having a rotation at ILB. Starters get the bulk of snaps, of course, but we need someone to step up and give the # of snaps Gillam gave in 2016 as that 3rd guy. Otherwise players will wear down, especially on long drives or against physical teams.

One thing I do know is that we have to get back to having a rotation at ILB. Starters get the bulk of snaps, of course, but we need someone to step up and give the # of snaps Gillam gave in 2016 as that 3rd guy. Otherwise players will wear down, especially on long drives or against physical teams.
This is so true. we can’t expect these guys to play at high level and play the rick gamboa number snaps. Need to rotate 3 ILB’s. Jon and nate know each other’s positions and can both call the D interchangeably. give nate the bulk of snaps and go from there.

One of the ILBs will likely come out when they go to dime. That will save some snaps.Agree on rotation.

DL:Johnson
DL/LB: Wells
LB: Van Diest/Allen*
LB: Landman
LB/DB: Taylor
S: Onu

*As was mentioned previously, rotation will be huge for the LB core. I think the opening snap of RMS, Van Diest goes out with Landman but I see the dime package being Allen and Landman. Van Diest is a heck of an athlete but even then he isn't quite as much of a freak of Jash Allen. Ham should press for PT as well to give Landman a break and let VD run the defense.

DL:Johnson
DL/LB: Wells
LB: Van Diest/Allen*
LB: Landman
LB/DB: Taylor
S: Onu

*As was mentioned previously, rotation will be huge for the LB core. I think the opening snap of RMS, Van Diest goes out with Landman but I see the dime package being Allen and Landman. Van Diest is a heck of an athlete but even then he isn't quite as much of a freak of Jash Allen. Ham should press for PT as well to give Landman a break and let VD run the defense.
Dime won’t have 2 ILBs. Star will drop down inside. (See previous post on Kirby Smart D).

Dime won’t have 2 ILBs. Star will drop down inside. (See previous post on Kirby Smart D).
Ah interesting. You think they will stick to that personnel grouping just because it's how Kirby/Tucker ran it though? I haven't seen enough of Allen to know for sure but I did watch Davion Taylor last year enough to know he wasn't quite comfortable in pass coverage yet. He can certainly improve but he's also still new to football in general whereas Jash has been playing his whole life.

Ah interesting. You think they will stick to that personnel grouping just because it's how Kirby/Tucker ran it though? I haven't seen enough of Allen to know for sure but I did watch Davion Taylor last year enough to know he wasn't quite comfortable in pass coverage yet. He can certainly improve but he's also still new to football in general whereas Jash has been playing his whole life.
They did it in Spring. Could change. Love Allen.

Wonder if Allen could be in the two deep at Star? Similar physical profile and athleticism as Taylor. Injuries will dictate a lot, but ILB looks really good both starting and depth personnel.
Interesting thought. I guess it’s Ray Robinson at the current moment.

Wonder if Allen could be in the two deep at Star? Similar physical profile and athleticism as Taylor. Injuries will dictate a lot, but ILB looks really good both starting and depth personnel.
I had same thought tonight after reading the Camera article about the depth at ILB

Back