What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Predict the opening day starters

Lang is a wild card for the success/depth of the DL. Obviously a lot rides on Javier making a big jump from last year, but Lang has true blue chip talent and size. If he's ready to go, it should change the outlook of the DL, IMO.

It would certainly mean true, quality depth. Every one of the starters needs to be spelled more (even if it worked out in 2016).

Yeah, it's hard to see for yourself, but I think that was a common point of emphasis from many during last season and I feel like Chev made some comments about it as well. Regardless, there seems to be a refusal from the staff to bench Seniors in favor of underclassmen, regardless of scenario. There was no reason Shenault and Winfree shouldn't have been playing over Fields and Bobo in the second half of the season, or even KD over Ross. I'm not saying a full blown replacement of all three, but there should have been more of a time share than there was.
There has to be thought given to letting seniors play if you think they are close to the same level. Part of selling recruiting is seniors getting a shot at the NFL. That’s hard to do if you bench them. It may have been invites only, but it matters when recruiting if you can point to severalnof the graduating players that were signed to get shots on NFL teams.

I think there are a lot of moving parts to failed plays. Blocking by the OL, Montezes reads, routes ran, catches etc. Coaches see them in practice every day and may not have felt that there was much to gain by sitting 2 and 3 year starters in their senior season.

There has to be thought given to letting seniors play if you think they are close to the same level. Part of selling recruiting is seniors getting a shot at the NFL. That’s hard to do if you bench them. It may have been invites only, but it matters when recruiting if you can point to severalnof the graduating players that were signed to get shots on NFL teams.

I think there are a lot of moving parts to failed plays. Blocking by the OL, Montezes reads, routes ran, catches etc. Coaches see them in practice every day and may not have felt that there was much to gain by sitting 2 and 3 year starters in their senior season.
Early playing time is a better sell imo (especially when none of the OL are going to get drafted this year).

Early playing time is a better sell imo (especially when none of the OL are going to get drafted this year).
OL is one position where a RS or even a GS followed by a RS year is best so they can put on functional weight and strength. Unless you get a blue blood recruit.

Yeah, it's hard to see for yourself, but I think that was a common point of emphasis from many during last season and I feel like Chev made some comments about it as well. Regardless, there seems to be a refusal from the staff to bench Seniors in favor of underclassmen, regardless of scenario. There was no reason Shenault and Winfree shouldn't have been playing over Fields and Bobo in the second half of the season, or even KD over Ross. I'm not saying a full blown replacement of all three, but there should have been more of a time share than there was.
One or the other of these statements is true: HCMM inexplicably favors playing upperclassmen over more talented underclassmen, or the underclassmen just haven’t been (or aren’t) as talented and don’t deserve to play. Given his 0.397 win percentage thus far, that’s a very sobering reality either way.

One or the other of these statements is true: HCMM inexplicably favors playing upperclassmen over more talented underclassmen, or the underclassmen just haven’t been (or aren’t) as talented and don’t deserve to play. Given his 0.397 win percentage thus far, that’s a very sobering reality either way.
Well, we saw Shenault and Winfree make plays last year when given the opportunity. I don’t think there’s really a question in my mind that both were/are better players by mid season than our Senior WRs, but they just kept rolling the Seniors out there each week.

Lang is a wild card for the success/depth of the DL. Obviously a lot rides on Javier making a big jump from last year, but Lang has true blue chip talent and size. If he's ready to go, it should change the outlook of the DL, IMO.
Honest question - when he plays, will Lang have his hand in the dirt? At 6’7” it seems odd that he’d be down in a three-point stance. Or does it not matter?

Well, we saw Shenault and Winfree make plays last year when given the opportunity. I don’t think there’s really a question in my mind that both were/are better players by mid season than our Senior WRs, but they just kept rolling the Seniors out there each week.

Unless the freshmen couldn’t be trusted to execute the playbook and were only in for plays they knew.

Unless the freshmen couldn’t be trusted to execute the playbook and were only in for plays they knew.
Definitely should have shrunk he playbook then because those guys made plays in one on one situations that others couldn't. I am sure it was a difficult situation though, those seniors battled through some difficult times and came out firing in 2016 so it was probably hard as a coach to send them out by benching them but those backups absolutely deserved more snaps in anything.

McMillan and Fontenot are better than Evans. Also, Viska not starting? That's a joke. He's are best WR (yes, I think he's better than Winfree).
Gotta ask what you see that makes you absolutely certain he’s better than Winfree? He certainly flashed last year we can all agree on that, but he didn’t score a touchdown compared to Winfree’s 2 and you’re automatically saying he’s better than Winfree? You’ve seen 9 plays from this guy at the college level and he obviously won’t keep a 19 YPC with more playing time

OL is one position where a RS or even a GS followed by a RS year is best so they can put on functional weight and strength. Unless you get a blue blood recruit.
Blue blood may refer to:
  • Hemolymph, circulatory fluid colored blue by hemocyanin, a respiratory protein evident in most molluscs and some arthropods
  • Nobility, a social class
Blue chip may refer to:
  • Blue chip (sports), collegiate athletes who are targeted by professional sports teams (or high school athletes targeted by colleges)

As onealcd says, if that's the case, shrink the playbook. I'd rather have Freshman executing a smaller playbook than Seniors not being able to execute a larger one.

Blue blood may refer to:
  • Hemolymph, circulatory fluid colored blue by hemocyanin, a respiratory protein evident in most molluscs and some arthropods
Blue chip may refer to:
  • Blue chip (sports), collegiate athletes who are targeted by professional sports teams (or high school athletes targeted by colleges)
For the love of God. Blue Blood can also refer to a link to the top schools who churn out D1 ready OL. Grammar nazis.

For the love of God. Blue Blood can also refer to a link to the top schools who churn out D1 ready OL. Grammar nazis.
Grammar was fine; reference was slightly off. Blue Blood is typically referred to the actual elite program (USC, Ohio State, Bama, etc), while Blue Chip is referring to the player.

I think there is little doubt that Lang is ready to go. He looked very good this spring. I think Antwine is going to be just about as ready as well, so we will see both those guys quite a bit, including on the inside on those passing dows that Hawg1 has mentioned.

Gotta ask what you see that makes you absolutely certain he’s better than Winfree? He certainly flashed last year we can all agree on that, but he didn’t score a touchdown compared to Winfree’s 2 and you’re automatically saying he’s better than Winfree? You’ve seen 9 plays from this guy at the college level and he obviously won’t keep a 19 YPC with more playing time
I would have to agree with Buff bat. Laviska is legit. Winfree works hard and is a great athlete, but Laviska is a little taller, faster and a tad more athletic (based on the 2 practices I watched this Spring). They are both awesome and I look forward to seeing them ball out this season.

I would have to agree with Buff bat. Laviska is legit. Winfree works hard and is a great athlete, but Laviska is a little taller, faster and a tad more athletic (based on the 2 practices I watched this Spring). They are both awesome and I look forward to seeing them ball out this season.
Don’t get me wrong, I think Laviska will be great, but I don’t see anything that makes me say 100% he is already better than Winfree. And to your point Winfree is actually taller (6’3” compared to 6’1” Viska) and faster (4.46 compared to a granted recruiting report 4.59 forty time) and both are freak athletes, I wouldn’t say Viska is more athletic with any certainty. Equally yes, not necessarily more so.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Laviska will be great, but I don’t see anything that makes me say 100% he is already better than Winfree. And to your point Winfree is actually taller (6’3” compared to 6’1” Viska) and faster (4.46 compared to a granted recruiting report 4.59 forty time) and both are freak athletes, I wouldn’t say Viska is more athletic with any certainty. Equally yes, not necessarily more so.
Freak athletes is the PERFECT term. Ill take either one on any day. We are loaded at receiver.

Blue blood may refer to:
Blue chip may refer to:
Is blue blood related to bleeders vis a vis off spring from siblings?

Is blue blood related to bleeders vis a vis off spring from siblings?
Brian-Fantana-Easy-Champ-Anchorman.gif

The thing I like about our receivers this year (including our TEs) is that they present bigger and more physical targets for Montez. A QB's best friends are guys who can catch balls that are off target and who are open even when covered. Too much the past few years has been reliant on using speed over the top on plays that were slow to develop.

The thing I like about our receivers this year (including our TEs) is that they present bigger and more physical targets for Montez. A QB's best friends are guys who can catch balls that are off target and who are open even when covered. Too much the past few years has been reliant on using speed over the top on plays that were slow to develop.
Amen, and true for all levels of the game from Pee-wee to Pro. I can remember being so frustrated in 2015 because it seemed that Sefo had to execute near perfect throws for the offense to function. On the other hand, I'd watch a mid-level SEC game and it seemed like their passing offenses were less sophisticated and relied on chucking the ball up to some stud athlete WR and letting him go get it.

Amen, and true for all levels of the game from Pee-wee to Pro. I can remember being so frustrated in 2015 because it seemed that Sefo had to execute near perfect throws for the offense to function. On the other hand, I'd watch a mid-level SEC game and it seemed like their passing offenses were less sophisticated and relied on chucking the ball up to some stud athlete WR and letting him go get it.

Spruce and P-rich bailed out QBs out a lot. Hell bobo bailed them out.

That’s been true of SEC in past years. Good QB conference this year.

Back