What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Q4 against CSU

When CU is up 35-0 at the end of Q3 over CSU the Buffs should...

• ...play the starters because they need the experience in the new schemes.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • ...play the backups to give them much needed experience.

Votes: 61 92.4%

• Total voters
Play the backups. See what they look like in live situations. Also develops confidence in the ‘next man up’ if there is an injury or suspension.

Reactions: wip
One of my biggest complaints about MM. He never let backups get real experience. Especially at QB. The strategy to take the foot off the gas probably cost him his job.

I say play the backups but play football, don't just sit on the ball. That doesn't mean pull out trick plays or try to hit a bunch of deep TDs but run the offense and try to score. Let the backups get some value out of the time.

Agree for CSU, I'd disagree with you when we wipe the floor with the Nubs the following week. Nebraska is the one team in the country I want to hang 70 on.

Agree for CSU, I'd disagree with you when we wipe the floor with the Nubs the following week. Nebraska is the one team in the country I want to hang 70 on.
I could go for us having 60 something in the third. Then have the backups run the regular offense and score to put it over 70. Let the fusker fans cry about us running it up but without anything to show other than us doing our normal stuff with the bench scoring on them.

Rotate so that back ups play with starters. Tucker isn't MM I don't believe he'll take his foot off the gas.

Swapping out the staters is "taking your foot off the gas". The difference I expect to see is that the backups will be running the full offense, not just trying to kill the clock as quickly as possible.
hopefully with more on an emphasis on a power run game we see both the backups running the same plays and them killing the clock at the same time.

Swapping out the staters is "taking your foot off the gas". The difference I expect to see is that the backups will be running the full offense, not just trying to kill the clock as quickly as possible.
This. I hate when we put in the seconds and just ran up the gut over and over. Dumb.

I say play the backups but play football, don't just sit on the ball. That doesn't mean pull out trick plays or try to hit a bunch of deep TDs but run the offense and try to score. Let the backups get some value out of the time.
I see this all the time in HS football and I DESPISE it. Coaches who go up big and take out their starters, but then simply run zone right/zone left 25 times to finish the game. That does NOTHING to get your backups experience and frankly it doesn't help your opponent (whose back-ups are likely in as well) either.

Exactly. Handoffs are pretty easy for QB’s

Exactly. Handoffs are pretty easy for QB’s

Run your short passing game, use the entire running game. Let the backups do what they are going to be expected to do if called on in a future game because of an injury or somebody not performing.

You don't run trick plays and you don't try to go for the long ball but you keep running the offense. Let the line practice some pass blocking sets, let the backup WRs run their short and intermediate routes and get the ball.

It may end up putting another score or even two on the board but you aren't embarrassing anyone.

Screw that, these guys are here to play at a high level. Use the playbook as the down and distance dictate. It’s up to the other guys to stop your offense. This isn’t high school, these are big boys on scholarship. In this age of transfer portals and instant eligibility you better get those 2s some reps or they will be 1s somewhere else.

High school is different, when the overmatch is obvious, you call off the dogs. Run the clock and all that, when I was coaching high school I was on both sides of the running clock.

Screw that, these guys are here to play at a high level. Use the playbook as the down and distance dictate. It’s up to the other guys to stop your offense. This isn’t high school, these are big boys on scholarship. In this age of transfer portals and instant eligibility you better get those 2s some reps or they will be 1s somewhere else.

High school is different, when the overmatch is obvious, you call off the dogs. Run the clock and all that, when I was coaching high school I was on both sides of the running clock.
I remember a game way back in the day when Penn State played Cincinnati and absolutely steamrolled them. PSU 2nd & 3rd string players had to be coached to run out of bounds pretty much the entire 4th quarter rather than turning it upfield to score another touchdown. It was hard work to avoid hanging a hundred on the Bearcats. Paterno's post-game presser was one of the angriest I've ever seen, calling out Cincy for being that inept and saying that if they can't compete well enough to keep the game from being a farce then they should stop playing football.

As you said, this isn't high school. This is D1 football. If you can't compete well enough to slow down the other team's backups, you had no business being on the field and may need to re-evaluate whether you belong on this level. It's not up to your opponent to stop itself.

play the backups and let them make it 70-0.

we'll have our share of actual competition this season; let the Buffs eat on the flesh of the lamb.

If your up by 35 going into the 4th quarter, then it's time for the backups to play using the same game plan.

I remember a game way back in the day when Penn State played Cincinnati and absolutely steamrolled them. PSU 2nd & 3rd string players had to be coached to run out of bounds pretty much the entire 4th quarter rather than turning it upfield to score another touchdown. It was hard work to avoid hanging a hundred on the Bearcats. Paterno's post-game presser was one of the angriest I've ever seen, calling out Cincy for being that inept and saying that if they can't compete well enough to keep the game from being a farce then they should stop playing football.

As you said, this isn't high school. This is D1 football. If you can't compete well enough to slow down the other team's backups, you had no business being on the field and may need to re-evaluate whether you belong on this level. It's not up to your opponent to stop itself.
Abuse wasn’t ever something that Paterno shied away from.

Back