What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB position not decided...

For fun:

Let's assume that our line finally gels this season for the sake of this argument (I'm not asking anybody to believe it until they see it). Cody's limitations (i.e. slow release and delivery, and limited mobility and height) are further amplified by a porous line. But the kid is a natural leader, and a warrior who knows the offense inside and out. IF CU has a line, his physical limitations become less of a factor and his accuracy and understanding of the offense can be exploited. He may even find time to progress through his checks.

At the end of last season, CU's offense looked mildly potent for the first time in, say, four years. Tyler's skill set, particularly his mobility, made that difference in my mind.

Here's the questions. If we're only examining our recent history with a pretty shoddy offensive line and applying that to this coming season...assuming our offensive line gets it together, are we comparing apples and oranges? Or if we have a stellar line, does it negate the relevance Cody's recent struggles and make him a contender at the position?

Just for fun, is all...

I'll play. Even with a good line, TH is the better option because he can throw over the top. The word is out on CH. Load the box shut down the run and make him beat you with his arm. Suffice it to say very few DC's are worried about getting beat by 30 3-5 yard out completions a game.

If we're only examining our recent history with a pretty shoddy offensive line and applying that to this coming season...assuming our offensive line gets it together, are we comparing apples and oranges? Or if we have a stellar line, does it negate the relevance Cody's recent struggles and make him a contender at the position?

This, I think, is the logic inside Dal Ward. Cody is a field general, knows the offense inside out; TH has the physical skills.

Let's hope the o-line dominates AND TH posts wins and strong numbers running and throwing so we don't have to find out...

Tyler's numbers are better, but just barely - he's not lighting the worl on fire either. And your comment about Cody piling up numbers against "fluff" competition makes no sense, we lost 2 of those 3 games, so we weren't rolling over anyone.

Looks like my stats came from the same place yours did. I never said TH was a world beater, but 10 % improvements on completions %, yards per attempt, better TD/pick ratio and the ability to run makes it a no brainer in my book. The fluff comment is simple. Toldeo had their reserves in and CH piled up meaningless numbers late. UW sucked. CH piles up numbers against a weak UW and, presumably, a weak CSU squad. The competition he played against was weaker tha the B 12 opponents TH faced.

Is TH all B12?, probably not, but it's pretty obvious who should be starting. JMO.

Cody played himself out of the job two years in a row.. I have a hard time believing that any other self respecting team in a BCS conference would still give the guy a chance to be the starter at this point. Yet here we go again.. The optimist in me wants to take the approach that this is all a formality and Tyler will be on the field against CSU, but the cynic reminds me that even after the Kansas game Hawk still refused to fully give the reigns to Tyler. Hawk simply can't seem to get over the fact that Tyler is far and away the better QB than Cody. If anyone should be getting a decent amount of reps other than Tyler this fall, it should be Nick Hirschman.

Cody played himself out of the job two years in a row.. I have a hard time believing that any other self respecting team in a BCS conference would still give the guy a chance to be the starter at this point. Yet here we go again.. The optimist in me wants to take the approach that this is all a formality and Tyler will be on the field against CSU, but the cynic reminds me that even after the Kansas game Hawk still refused to fully give the reigns to Tyler. Hawk simply can't seem to get over the fact that Tyler is far and away the better QB than Cody. If anyone should be getting a decent amount of reps other than Tyler this fall, it should be Nick Hirschman.

+1

For fun:

Let's assume that our line finally gels this season for the sake of this argument (I'm not asking anybody to believe it until they see it). Cody's limitations (i.e. slow release and delivery, and limited mobility and height) are further amplified by a porous line. But the kid is a natural leader, and a warrior who knows the offense inside and out. IF CU has a line, his physical limitations become less of a factor and his accuracy and understanding of the offense can be exploited. He may even find time to progress through his checks.

At the end of last season, CU's offense looked mildly potent for the first time in, say, four years. Tyler's skill set, particularly his mobility, made that difference in my mind.

Here's the questions. If we're only examining our recent history with a pretty shoddy offensive line and applying that to this coming season...assuming our offensive line gets it together, are we comparing apples and oranges? Or if we have a stellar line, does it negate the relevance Cody's recent struggles and make him a contender at the position?

Just for fun, is all...

How about the converse...the lack of ability at QB makes the Oline look worse than it is in reality. Because of Cody's weak arm (average per attempt is a meager 5.3 Yards), opposing defenses are able to put more guys close to the LOS than the offense can block. The defense knows they may get burned once in awhile but overall they will be okay. As for Cody being a leader, I question that. You have to be able to get your job done before you can effectively lead, IMO. No doubt he tries but his ability level holds him back.

Well Said. +2

Cody can be effective when the playcalling has the D off-balance. but, that only last a series or two until the opposing guys adjust. usually meaning: no real fear of the deep ball (maybe that changes this year) and no real fear of Cody beating them with a throw down the middle (can't see it). nothing was more illustrative than the 7-7's they ran at the last scrimmage or Spring Game a year ago when Cody was working the middle like a pro. put a LOS and pass rush in front of him, you just don't see it. and almost never in a game.

With Cody's knowledge, we should throw him in as a slot receiver every now and then. He would be good getting open in the zone across the middle. Plus maybe Hansen can "accidentally" lead him into one of those linebackers :smile2:

If he has any hands at all he could probably get in better positions than our other slot guys lately

what has me wondering, is

that the summer practices are supposed to be players-only, no coaches present. Yet, you read that TH is getting more snaps than CH, etc. If the players "know" who is best at each position and should be running 1st team, shouldn't that be about 90% of the coaches' decisions, come Aug practices?

Far and away? I'm not advocating Cody to be the starter (I don't think he should), but until late last year, Tyler was putting up statistics and wins very comparable to Cody. Honestly, how many Big 12 teams would Tyler have started for last year?? K-State...maybe, but doubtful.

I think he's our better option going forward, but this idea that the entire staff has blinders on and keep throwing Cody out there to feed Dan's ego (or delusions) is ridiculous. Tyler late last season and this Spring has finally separated himself a little bit, so I expect he'll be the guy versus CSU, but up until then he really hadn't locked it down.

Far and away? I'm not advocating Cody to be the starter (I don't think he should), but until late last year, Tyler was putting up statistics and wins very comparable to Cody. Honestly, how many Big 12 teams would Tyler have started for last year?? K-State...maybe, but doubtful.

I think he's our better option going forward, but this idea that the entire staff has blinders on and keep throwing Cody out there to feed Dan's ego (or delusions) is ridiculous. Tyler late last season and this Spring has finally separated himself a little bit, so I expect he'll be the guy versus CSU, but up until then he really hadn't locked it down.

I guess to each their own opinion. A win over a rank KU team versus a win over a Wyoming team who had not picked a QB yet...yes that is comparable.... Statistics - Hansen's QB rating was measurably better that CH's - the most important stat in passing to me is yards per attempt, while Hansen's numbers were not the greatest they were significantly better than Cody's.

This again? Really? I strongly dislike Hawkins as a football coach and even I thought this particular issue had been resolved.

I guess to each their own opinion. A win over a rank KU team versus a win over a Wyoming team who had not picked a QB yet...yes that is comparable.... Statistics - Hansen's QB rating was measurably better that CH's - the most important stat in passing to me is yards per attempt, while Hansen's numbers were not the greatest they were significantly better than Cody's.

Tyler's QB rating was marginally better than Cody (113 to 100) and his YPA was also marginally better (6.2 to 5.4) despite the fact that the best WR on the team was on the bench for the first 3 games last year.

Tyler's QB rating and YPA ranked 11th and 12th respectively in the Big 12 last year, so while slightly better than Cody, he wouldn't be starting anywhere else with those numbers.

The real problem IMO has been the inability of the staff to bring in (and keep) anyone else to compete with these two.

It is a bit strange that they haven't been able to bring in any QBs. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the coaches' son gets to play even though he isn't any good?

Tyler's QB rating was marginally better than Cody (113 to 100) and his YPA was also marginally better (6.2 to 5.4) despite the fact that the best WR on the team was on the bench for the first 3 games last year.

Not that I disagree that Hansen has to get much better, but 0.8 yards per attempt is more than marginally better. It is actually a pretty big difference.

+3

So, what is the ****ing purpose of this thread? To start another "rip Hawkins" thread or to argue the merits of two pretty deserving guys being the starter? Everything I've seen and read indicates Hansen will be the starter. But some dumb ass reporter writes some dumb ass story and it becomes a "Bash Hawkins" thread? Guys, this is getting really old.

It is a bit strange that they haven't been able to bring in any QBs. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the coaches' son gets to play even though he isn't any good?

It "is" strange?

Are you serious? It isn't strange at all. No recruit wants to play at Colorado when Daddy's boy is the only one who gets to play.

So, what is the ****ing purpose of this thread? To start another "rip Hawkins" thread or to argue the merits of two pretty deserving guys being the starter? Everything I've seen and read indicates Hansen will be the starter. But some dumb ass reporter writes some dumb ass story and it becomes a "Bash Hawkins" thread? Guys, this is getting really old.

So is losing and the same tendencies by our head coach spring after spring,fall after fall. I think solder should move to qb.

Not that I disagree that Hansen has to get much better, but 0.8 yards per attempt is more than marginally better. It is actually a pretty big difference.

Great, but it's the difference between dead last and second to dead last in yards per attempt of all Big 12 QBs so really not good enough.

Neither will compete with Cody for the starting job, so I don't think either would give a ****.
Umm, I think the quote I was referring to was "...no recruit wants to play at Colorado when Daddy's boy is the only one who gets to play." I think the quote was referring to the QB position. I know what a "narcissist" is. You guys are "hawkissists." Instead of everything revolving around you, everything revolves around Hawkins. :smile2:

Umm, I think the quote I was referring to was "...no recruit wants to play at Colorado when Daddy's boy is the only one who gets to play." I think the quote was referring to the QB position. I know what a "narcissist" is. You guys are "hawkissists." Instead of everything revolving around you, everything revolves around Hawkins. :smile2:

And Creebuzz's point still remains. You think Berglund has second thoughts if he has to compete with Cody Hawkins at any point during his career? I do.

I think the OG is a big deal, this OL needs to start living up to the individual hype. As for QB, it is a big deal and people speculate because every off season we hear the same song and dance about who the starting qb will be.

Lets go through it so you can follow...Cody is a 5th year senior whose eligibility is over after this season. Berglund will enroll in 2011 which is next season and Cody won't be around and with any luck Dan won't be either.

Back