What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

R.I.P. Ralphie IV

RIP Ralphie lV... Out of curiosity.. When do they decide to retire Ralphie. Is it after ten years, or is it when these ladies show signs of slowing down?

RIP Ralphie lV... Out of curiosity.. When do they decide to retire Ralphie. Is it after ten years, or is it when these ladies show signs of slowing down?

10 years is when they start looking at doing it. But it comes down to when the current ralphie is no longer eager to run. Luckily for CU, blackout absolutely loves to run and is showing no signs of backing down.

10 years is when they start looking at doing it. But it comes down to when the current ralphie is no longer eager to run. Luckily for CU, blackout absolutely loves to run and is showing no signs of backing down.
And Blackout is still running faster than Rowdy ever did!

Generally they start looking at the age of 10, as stated above. It is completely up to the animal though. They'll show signs to the handlers that they are done and ready to be retired. I mean we've even seen where Blackout hasn't wanted to run all the time, even though she is usually up for it, they let her decide. It is the way it should be. Just like how LSU doesn't force Mike going to the games.

Generally they start looking at the age of 10, as stated above. It is completely up to the animal though. They'll show signs to the handlers that they are done and ready to be retired. I mean we've even seen where Blackout hasn't wanted to run all the time, even though she is usually up for it, they let her decide. It is the way it should be. Just like how LSU doesn't force Mike going to the games.

@RalphieRunr may know more about this than I do, but I believe the only times Blackout hasn't run has been either field quality or equipment concerns.

Is it true CSU is part of a breeding program for Buffalo's?

What if.............? Could it be ............?

Is it true CSU is part of a breeding program for Buffalo's?

What if.............? Could it be ............?

I'd think that CSU would be involved in some way with any veterinary stuff. One of the best vet programs and vet hospitals in the nation.

@RalphieRunr may know more about this than I do, but I believe the only times Blackout hasn't run has been either field quality or equipment concerns.
I agree, think the only time she didn't run at games was with weather or equipment, but I have seen at other events where she was not too happy and they removed her. I did know that she did not like to wear a blanket like past Ralphies. Again, goes back to the animal being happy and comfortable.

So... ...if there were still a dislike or neg rep button, I think this question or post would get it...so forewarning. Years back, a friend of mine that was a big A&M fan told me that when Bevo dies, it's just slaughtered like a normal steer and the meat gets consumed. I have no idea if that's A&M trash talk, trying to make UT look like uncivilized slime.

While it's weird that an animal that was a mascot gets consumed, I guess I understand that it makes sense...it is an animal. Humans traditionally eat beef...

Buffalo meat is popular in CO... ...so what happens to our deceased Ralphies??

Traditionally, from what I understand, when Bevo passes 1 side of beef is sold at auction, the other is given to the team at some sort of team bbq event. Obviously with the previous one having cancer, I doubt they did it with that steer.

My source is also an Aggie so maybe it is some weird Aggie cult rumor they perpetuate to make fun of Bevo.

EDIT: Apparently UT did eat Bevo in the past. However it looks like they haven't in a long time. They instead either mount the head/shoulders and auction them off or get them fully mounted for museum pieces. Mounted horns have also been auctioned off for some of them.

Last edited:
Back