What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"Recruit above your record"

Utah was the better team. A 90-yard drive to tie the game is not really close. For all the talk about PRich's drop, the Utes fumbling at the goal line is being glossed over.

Utah was the better team. A 90-yard drive to tie the game is not really close. For all the talk about PRich's drop, the Utes fumbling at the goal line is being glossed over.
Both teams left a whole lotta points on the field yesterday

Dan Hawkins had a big name and was recruiting to a program that had won 4 of 5 Big XII North Championships. This program is far from that right now. Not trying to make excuses and not disagreeing with anyone who believes we need to recruit better. We do. Just amazed people still have the energy to argue about it. :smile:

what is the point of your post?

Both teams left a whole lotta points on the field yesterday
One team still had their ass handed to them. Running up the gut 3x without a fullback, from the 1, against a team that is clearly more physical than you, is just stupid.

One team still had their ass handed to them. Running up the gut 3x without a fullback, from the 1, against a team that is clearly more physical than you, is just stupid.
Clearly what I'm saying here, good job

fify.....basketball is an entirely different species. Freshmen can come in and the good ones can easily compete with older, more experienced players : the whole "one and done" concept.

That never, or extremely rarely) happens, with the League where fast, 250-320 lb. men who've matured and learned their craft, play on a regular basis. When was the last time you saw even 5*FR OL prospect, who could even think of competing in the NFL ? Age and physical maturity make a huge difference in FB, that's why its crucial to be able to redshirt as many recruits, especially linemen, as possible. Then you have to have a talented S&C group to develop them. (Unless you're 'Bama or LSU---SEC in general---, with all their illiterate, dirt-floor recruits and expensive HG supplements!)

No knock on Tad, but he got real lucky, walking into Burks and Higgins, then getting even luckier with Dre (over-looked and too skinny) and was beneficiary of those idots at UCLA and U$C, considering where Dinwiddie and Booker would have both preferred to enroll.

With what we've seen over the last few years, I have a hard time calling Tad lucky for Roberson, Ski and Mayor. Was he also lucky he landed Scott and Gordon early in the cycle? He's proven his eye for talent, and done a very good job of landing those mid-tier kids before they blow up. That's not luck. As for HCMM, he might do the same, but I'm surprised at how many people are willing to give him a pass on recruiting, giving him credit for his eye for talent, when we haven't seen that play out at the Pac 12 level yet.

So you're saying that you're a little turd? Touche, internet nerd. I'm saying those points never mattered because Utah kicked our ass.

No all I was saying is that both teams left points on the field from missed plays...the PRich drop, the Spruce overthrow, etc. Utah did as well, but I don't remember them much because I don't care anymore. I wasn't making a statement on the play calling at all, just of the calls that were called but weren't finished.

And if it's the play you're referring to is the same one that I'm thinking of if Sefo holds the ball on the read he has a clear path to the endzone.

Yeah, we are ****ing terrible. we don't even deserve 3* recruits. We are sub MWC talent. Why the hell would a 4* or 5* recruit come here? I would question their judgment. At least Boyle had a facilities upgrade to support him.

Our record is a speed-bump, not a road block. Plenty of other staffs recruit above their record. UK has gone 2-10 the past two seasons and they currently have a top-10 rated class...and their facilities are even worse the ours and their in-state talent isn't any better. I'm sick of excuses, this staff needs better results. We literally haven't even had one single blue-chip player come in on and official visit since they took over, let alone actually landing one. It would have helped if Mac had utilized the budget he had for his staff rather then bringing his WAC compadres and Toby "looks like a middle school english teacher" Neinas from powerhouse Montana State.

road_success_biggest_speed_bump.jpg

Our record is a speed-bump, not a road block. Plenty of other staffs recruit above their record. UK has gone 2-10 the past two seasons and they currently have a top-10 rated class...and their facilities are even worse the ours and their in-state talent isn't any better. I'm sick of excuses, this staff needs better results. We literally haven't even had one single blue-chip player come in on and official visit since they took over, let alone actually landing one. It would have helped if Mac had utilized the budget he had for his staff rather then bringing his WAC compadres and Toby "looks like a middle school english teacher" Neinas from powerhouse Montana State.

UK also has not been involved in a 'scandal' and then been a national laughingstock in all of the sports media for the last 7 years.

Agree on Neinas....seemed like Bohn called in a favor for his buddy.

And **** you on everything else. Just because in general, I detest J-R-K. Lol

I can't get too worked up if this year's class doesn't look stellar. By the time M2 came onto the scene, many of the 3,4, and 5 star prospects for this year's class already had solid relationships established with the schools that were and are still recruiting them. Making up that "gap" is a difficult assignment. Given some of the rumblings (and flat out facts) about the waning days of the Embree era with recruiting, especially in Colorado, you have to think M2 was starting from the ground up.

I think that now that a clear facilities plan is in place and M2 will have had a year's worth of time working on recruits, the '15 class is going to be much more indicative of this staff's skills.

All of that said, I reserve the right to change my mind if they pull in some high-level recruits over the next two weekends. :).

Hard to judge a coach's recruiting until their third class. At this point the relationship between recruit and coaches has been built since the recruit's junior year. The second class is still a bit difficult, especially when you have losing records. Scary to think how long it will take to build up a competent line of scrimmage. Let's hope Macintyre is able to find and develop lower rated talent to supplement in the mean time.

I'd really doubt not having older relationships with HS coaches is really hurting recruiting (at least in Cali), MacIntyre is very big on relationships and visited every school in Cali, much like he did with Colorado when he got here. A combination of the past eight years, lack of facilities (not an issue going forward in recruiting, especially if they are aiming for a Fall 2015 opening), and the rest of the PAC 12 being up is hurting us a whole lot more than the lack of relationships. I do think the relationship angle in Colorado may be valid though.

Hard to judge a coach's recruiting until their third class. At this point the relationship between recruit and coaches has been built since the recruit's junior year. The second class is still a bit difficult, especially when you have losing records. Scary to think how long it will take to build up a competent line of scrimmage. Let's hope Macintyre is able to find and develop lower rated talent to supplement in the mean time.
That would make sense if MM wasn't a head coach before. There shouldn't be a lag for a coach that is recruiting the same areas.

Cutcliff was interviewed by ESPN the other day about what he has done to turn the Duke program around. One of the most interesting parts of the story was him relating some things Krxyzewski shared with him about how to win at Duke.

What he told him was that every year he has to recruit slightly better athletes. The first year is tough but get some who improve over your current roster and every year keep notching up the roster, little by little, until you start to have full classes full of players who belong on an SEC team. Obviously that is combined with showing improved results on the field.

I know we have been through this over and over again on AB but that is what I think HCMM is actually doing and I think all should have a little patience with him. I believe he has earned that already by the improvements in the team this year. If HCMM is as good as some of us think he is, he will continually improve this team in terms of W/L but also on the recruiting trail.

Keep the faith.

Mac was the Defensive Coordinator for Duke's class of 2009 and most of the class of 2010. Those classes make up the 4th and 5th year guys now leading Duke.

The recruiting services didn't notice an "uptick" in recruiting at Duke and their classes continued to be 60's, 70's sort of rankings. I'd wager that Cutliffe believes that the recruiting was improving by his own ratings.

When I look at all the "turn-arounds", I have had trouble identifying where those teams recruited "over their heads" as measured by the services. I'm sure the staffs liked their classes better each year. The services just don't have much of a handle on most of the kids that aren't holding several BCS offers.

Mac was the Defensive Coordinator for Duke's class of 2009 and most of the class of 2010. Those classes make up the 4th and 5th year guys now leading Duke.

The recruiting services didn't notice an "uptick" in recruiting at Duke and their classes continued to be 60's, 70's sort of rankings. I'd wager that Cutliffe believes that the recruiting was improving by his own ratings.

When I look at all the "turn-arounds", I have had trouble identifying where those teams recruited "over their heads" as measured by the services. I'm sure the staffs liked their classes better each year. The services just don't have much of a handle on most of the kids that aren't holding several BCS offers.

Holic nailed it. Best statement to date in this ongoing argument. Synopsis of why we have so much debate regarding Recruiting class rankings, star grading system, under-the-radar guys. If you aren't catching the eye of BCS schools early, you aren't bandwagoning onto the service's radar either. It is certainly a competitive disadvantage to be a down-program. Our offers don't move the needle of the services and our coaches are not in a position to let the services do the heavy lifting in identifying popular talent.

Back