What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George releases a statement

This isn't it, but this is hilarious:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Jersey Mike's is so fitting for this hire.

Shotgun wedding!

Baby Doll Crying GIF

Step Brothers Yep GIF by reactionseditor

:ROFLMAO:

You were just sleepy.

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

dumb and dumber harry GIF

Reliving that hiring series of events makes me sick

Again, this new theory about the choice being made by LC sounds like more RG spin. LC is RG’s employee. The final call on the Head Football Coach is the Athletic Director’s.

There is 0.0% chance would he assign the fate of his entire organization to someone he didn’t fully approve of personally. Football pays for everything. Bad football kills Athletic Departments. Why would he stay if he wasn’t on board 100%?

As for being clean… maybe some possibility there, but it’s not like they moved on from Mel Tucker. The “violations” were nothing more than speculation at that time and they just nailed the best recruiting class in many years.

The never leave me thing… that is all RG. He binked a nice coach hire and then got his feelings hurt. A soon to be retiree DGAF about not leaving. That was RG’s ego.
This theory also ignores the pursuit of Sark and us reaching the 1 yard line in hiring him before Saban stepped in and/or RG told Sark he had to keep certain assistants (which I don’t believe happened).
I’m too lazy to look it up but isn’t RG responsible for multiple contract blunders? KD, obviously but also Tucker’s buyout and wasn’t there something ridiculous in MacIntyre’s contract as well? Ignore speculation and rumors and focus on what is demonstrably incompetent.
The blunder in the MacIntyre contract was that our buyout was only offset by salary earned by MM in another head coaching job, as opposed to any coaching job. So he was free to take assistant jobs and still get everything on our contract.

This theory also ignores the pursuit of Sark and us reaching the 1 yard line in hiring him before Saban stepped in and/or RG told Sark he had to keep certain assistants (which I don’t believe happened).

The blunder in the MacIntyre contract was that our buyout was only offset by salary earned by MM in another head coaching job, as opposed to any coaching job. So he was free to take assistant jobs and still get everything on our contract.
The concept that the Athletic Director was forced to hire Karl Dorrell is insane.

If I’m recalling correctly, the news article after KD was hired described how LC and RG went to his home and they both looked at each other and knew they had found the perfect fit for CU.

if someone can find that article, it might give a more clear idea of how this cake together.

it sounds like the UCLA fans immediately thought this was a terrible hire? If that’s the case, shouldn’t LC and RG have been able to do some research to find that out as part of their search process?

There must be another explanation for how all of this came about. Because it just looks so bad
They knew this was a **** hire from the word go. You don’t have your buddies promote Dorrell to AHC of the Dolphins three days before you announce him because it’s a slam dunk. It’s because you’re grasping at every PR straw you can. By the same token, they’re going to say whatever they need to say to try to build confidence and support their hire. Plain and simple, they panicked. They were hammered, the clock was ticking, the hot girl said no so they grabbed the first hooker they could find and brought her home. And they stopped off at the little white chapel and got hitched to boot. To keep their families from getting pissed that they married a fat, meth ridden hooker in a fit of drunken idiocy, they’re gonna say anything and everything to make her look like the princess that she most assuredly is not.

Nobody is claiming RG was forced to hire KD. The claim, and the nuance here might be tough to see, is that PD made it clear what type of coach he would accept, and RG saw KD and said ”Fine, he will fit the bill”. That’s not the same as saying KD was forced on RG. Not the same at all.

Any objective person would look at Colorado and say that, while it doesn’t have championship level ingredients, it has a lot of appealing ingredients that justify a top 40 expectation by it’s fan base. Being the worst D1 program in the country is absolutely indefensible, let alone for the second time in 10 years.

The entire infrastructure needs to be rebuilt from the ground up by someone competent. Ignoring this as truth has given us the last 2 decades that is CU Football.

Nobody is claiming RG was forced to hire KD. The claim, and the nuance here might be tough to see, is that PD made it clear what type of coach he would accept, and RG saw KD and said ”Fine, he will fit the bill”. That’s not the same as saying KD was forced on RG. Not the same at all.
I already explained this, but people want to ignore that and just think there’s nothing strange about RG going from preaching about winning championships with an SEC DC that is solely focused on recruiting, to courting an SEC OC who is all about recruiting, to then just settling for Karl Dorrell. Yeah, seems legit.

I already explained this, but people want to ignore that and just think there’s nothing strange about RG going from preaching about winning championships with an SEC DC that is solely focused on recruiting, to courting an SEC OC who is all about recruiting, to then just settling for Karl Dorrell. Yeah, seems legit.
Rick George chose Karl Dorrell and gave him an awful contract.

672dea10cf30c6e9bcc7f8db930edab6.png

This is such a bad take. None of it supports the idea that RG should continue as AD, BTW.

1) If Distefano really forced RG to hire Dorrell, RG should’ve quit immediately. That’s because an admin person is forcing you to hire an incompetent to be your most important employee. You are okay with settling for horrible results in exchange for a check and zero real authority.

2) If Distefano really forced RG to hire Dorrell, how does that show RG a capable leader capable of good decision-making? He’s just a stooge doing the bidding of his boss at that point.

3) The most common sense theory is that RG got his feelings hurt by Tucker and Sark (along with everyone else who declined to interview). So, after a whopping 12 hours of due diligence by their own admission, he decided upon hiring an NFL position coach with no higher level job prospects. That’s because his hiring value system shifted from getting the best candidate to achieve his stated objectives to hiring someone who would be loyal. He should’ve went to the Boulder Humane Society to adopt a dog and kept the coach search open. Instead, RG picked a guy who was convenient and wouldn’t break his heart.

We need to pay off a spy in the AD to give us the inside dope. I’m tired of all the speculation and hearsay.

This is such a bad take. None of it supports the idea that RG should continue as AD, BTW.

1) If Distefano really forced RG to hire Dorrell, RG should’ve quit immediately. That’s because an admin person is forcing you to hire an incompetent to be your most important employee. You are okay with settling for horrible results in exchange for a check and zero real authority.

2) If Distefano really forced RG to hire Dorrell, how does that show RG a capable leader capable of good decision-making? He’s just a stooge doing the bidding of his boss at that point.

3) The most common sense theory is that RG got his feelings hurt by Tucker and Sark (along with everyone else who declined to interview). So, after a whopping 12 hours of due diligence by their own admission, he decided upon hiring an NFL position coach with no higher level job prospects. That’s because his hiring value system shifted from getting the best candidate to achieve his stated objectives to hiring someone who would be loyal. He should’ve went to the Boulder Humane Society to adopt a dog and kept the coach search open. Instead, RG picked a guy who was convenient and wouldn’t break his heart.
You're right, but we're likely stuck with him for right now. Besides the finances, Saliman's already having to hire a chancellor. If he was on the hot seat, I guarantee you Sunday's statement would have come from TS and not him.

It's obvious that PD is the main ingredient of CU's suckitude over 20 years. However, the Dorrell hire falls squarely on RG and any spin is just that.

It was obviously awful from the very beginning by begging the Dolphins to promote KD to assistant head coach.

I think a combination of PD hamstringing Rick over the years, Mel leaving in the middle of the night, Sark turning down at the last second, broke RG for good. I think RG can still make a good hire this time around if PD is out of the way and they fix the transfer issue at CU. However, the School absolutely needs to move on from RG once his contract is over or once the new Chancellor has been in office for a few years.

It's obvious that PD is the main ingredient of CU's suckitude over 20 years. However, the Dorrell hire falls squarely on RG and any spin is just that.

It was obviously awful from the very beginning by begging the Dolphins to promote KD to assistant head coach.

I think a combination of PD hamstringing Rick over the years, Mel leaving in the middle of the night, Sark turning down at the last second, broke RG for good. I think RG can still make a good hire this time around if PD is out of the way and they fix the transfer issue at CU. However, the School absolutely needs to move on from RG once his contract is over or once the new Chancellor has been in office for a few years.
RG is 62 now, and he's under contract here through 2026. My guess is he probably retires at that point. Dude will be 65-66. Can't see him wanting to do this into his late 60s/early 70s.

Back